30-30's 125th Anniversary

Dirtshooter

Hi guys & gals. I am by no means an authority on this, and almost missed this. The August 1895 Winchester catalog #55 seems to be the first time the .30WCF was mentioned. WCF  standing for Winchester Center Fire, AKA 30-30. This was first debuted in the model 1894 Winchester.  John Marlin adapted his model 1893 to shoot this new cartridge and it seems his was the first time it was referred to as the 30-30. The inaugural factory loads were 160 gr. bullet at about 1900 fps. Just thought as much as the 30-30 has done for hunting, we should all be reminded. The 30-30 has probably killed some of all of North America's game including Bison, large bears, elk and is best suited for whitetail deer.

• Like 2

You’ll find early 1899 Savage rifles marked “30 Savage” which were chambered for the 30-30.

It definitely overshadowed it’s competitor at the time, which was the 303 Savage.

The 30-30 was considered a high speed round at the time, as we were coming out of the black powder age. Although it has a black powder designation, I am unaware of any commercial 30-30 ammunition ever loaded with black powder.

Edited by gregintenn
11 hours ago, Garufa said:

Let’s not forget it was the first smokeless powder cartridge.

Well that isn't exactly true. It was the USA's first smokeless cartridge. In 1886 Paul Vieille invented smokeless gunpowder and the 8x50mmr Lebel round known as the 8x51 Lebel was first adopted round by a country. But I thought the 30-30 was first also. I think the 8x50 mmR which the R stands for rimmed was basically obsolete after WWI. I also found that every 3-5 years Fiocchi made some in the past. I have always said have guns chambered in calibers that you can go into any LGS or country store and buy some.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

Well that isn't exactly true. It was the USA's first smokeless cartridge. In 1886 Paul Vieille invented smokeless gunpowder and the 8x50mmr Lebel round known as the 8x51 Lebel was first adopted round by a country. But I thought the 30-30 was first also. I think the 8x50 mmR which the R stands for rimmed was basically obsolete after WWI. I also found that every 3-5 years Fiocchi made some in the past. I have always said have guns chambered in calibers that you can go into any LGS or country store and buy some.

I didn't make that statement because I figured some obscure foreign cartridge might have beat it to market by a few days.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

Well that isn't exactly true. It was the USA's first smokeless cartridge. In 1886 Paul Vieille invented smokeless gunpowder and the 8x50mmr Lebel round known as the 8x51 Lebel was first adopted round by a country. But I thought the 30-30 was first also.

16 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I didn't make that statement because I figured some obscure foreign cartridge might have beat it to market by a few days.

Well then, my entire life has been a lie.  :cry:

• Love 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Garufa said:

Well then, my entire life has been a lie. 

You know I should have learned after 49+ years of marriage training to keep my mouth shut. I have really messed up so many times from having an opportunity to be quiet, but didn't. I meant no disrespect Garufa, I always thought the 30-30 was the first smokeless cartridge also. Just having fun, sorry to bring out into the open your entire life being a lie!! LOL

• Haha 3

Today, the 30-30 has gained the reputation as a slow, incapable, and outdated cartridge. Truth is that it is just as accurate and deadly as it was 125 years ago. I do not believe North America has produced a creature that can’t be reliably taken with the old 170 grain Silvertip load.

What actually happened is that we have largely become slow, incapable hunters expecting our gear to make up for our shortcomings.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Today, the 30-30 has gained the reputation as a slow, incapable, and outdated cartridge. Truth is that it is just as accurate and deadly as it was 125 years ago. I do not believe North America has produced a creature that can’t be reliably taken with the old 170 grain Silvertip load.

What actually happened is that we have largely become slow, incapable hunters expecting our gear to make up for our shortcomings.

My opinion is that the .30-30 is for hunters. High velocity magnums are for “shooters”.

Those with experience know, the .30-30 performs better than it should judging off of ballistic numbers. 

• Like 2

I must admit that tend to yawn at the thought of lever actions chambered in 30-30, but I have always wanted a bolt action in 30-30, like the old Stevens 325. I’ve always thought that the 30-30 with a spitter type bullet would be a great round and a fairly mild shooter.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Moped said:

I must admit that tend to yawn at the thought of lever actions chambered in 30-30, but I have always wanted a bolt action in 30-30, like the old Stevens 325. I’ve always thought that the 30-30 with a spitter type bullet would be a great round and a fairly mild shooter.

I have a single shot 30-30 and have loaded and shot spitzer bullets in it with good results.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I have a single shot 30-30 and have loaded and shot spitzer bullets in it with good results.

45 minutes ago, Moped said:

A single shot would be a cool little rifle to have too!

My first T/C Contender was a 30-30 pistol with a 10" barrel.  That was a fun little gun to shoot.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I can say it does good sitting on top of a 20ga barrel on my Savage 24. 

I see all these guys asking what is the best SHTF gun if you could have 1, well that would be it!! You can kill small game, doves, quail when there were some, turkeys, ducks, geese, deer, hogs, bear. And it would probably keep 2 legged vermin at bay as well.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

I see all these guys asking what is the best SHTF gun if you could have 1, well that would be it!! You can kill small game, doves, quail when there were some, turkeys, ducks, geese, deer, hogs, bear. And it would probably keep 2 legged vermin at bay as well.

I do think the 30-30/20ga covers the widest range of things in this area. Only better I could wish for is they made a few with 12ga barrels. They also made a .308/12ga option toward the end of making the Model 24, but finding one of those is not likely at a price I would want to pay. I have others in different calibers, but they are not quite as versatile, but it is still a fun time shooting them.

19 hours ago, Moped said:

Hornady’s got your pill.  LEVERevolution.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

I do not have the load in memory, but I have also loaded 100 grain half jacket bullets in the 30-30 atop pistol powder. It makes a great varmint and plinking load. If memory serves it shoots really close to the same point of impact as my favored deer load at reasonable ranges.

I haven’t shot my old 94 Winchester in a long time. This makes me want to dig it out of the safe.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1