Recommendations on M1 Carbine Repros

RTT

Hey all, new member to the forum.

I'm currently in the market for a ranch gun, and I've wanted an M1 Carbine for a long time, so maybe its time to grab one. 

Does anyone have any experience with newer companies making them?  I hear great things about Fulton, but they're pretty expensive.  Inland's and Auto Ordnance's offerings are a bit more affordable, but I'm reading there may be some quality issues there.  I've read just about every article I can find on them, but there are a few conflicting reports.

Any advice appreciated.

BTW - If any of you have an original Rock-Ola M1 Carbine for sale....

I love the M1 Carbine and have two originals. An Inland and a Standard products. I really don't know much about the current reproductions. I'd trust Fulton Armory just on their name and reputation. However, they're very expensive. Almost twice the price of an original.

I've never seen a current New Inland or Auto Ordnance, so I can't say as to them.  However, I can say avoid the old Universal and Iver Johnson copies. They were very hit and miss. Mostly miss as most were unreliable and not all parts interchange with originals.

From what I've seen of the prices, you can pretty much buy an original for about the same money as current copies or probably less if you're patient and shop around.  That's what I recommend. 

• Like 1

Just be aware that Inland manufacturing is not the same Inland (GM) that produced the original M1’s. With all this non-sense going on right now, it’s a hard time to find anything. But CMP M1’s could usually be found in the $1K range. I wouldn’t spend the money on a copy, especially if they are approaching the price of the real deal.

I sold mine in 2016 and they were pretty easy to find. I wasn’t impressed with the gun or the caliber, and didn’t want the money tied up in something I didn’t shoot.

I think a Ruger Mini14 or even an AR would make a better rifle for that application. (Compact Ranch Rifle)

• Like 1

Original M1 carbines are all well over $1000 these days.  If you see one for less, snag it!

I fired a friend's new Inland M1 carbine.  Seems reliable and solid.  Inland says parts interchange with original GI parts.  That's a big plus for me. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Just be aware that Inland manufacturing is not the same Inland (GM) that produced the original M1’s. With all this non-sense going on right now, it’s a hard time to find anything. But CMP M1’s could usually be found in the $1K range. I wouldn’t spend the money on a copy, especially if they are approaching the price of the real deal.

I sold mine in 2016 and they were pretty easy to find. I wasn’t impressed with the gun or the caliber, and didn’t want the money tied up in something I didn’t shoot.

I think a Ruger Mini14 or even an AR would make a better rifle for that application. (Compact Ranch Rifle)

Honestly, I think you helped me make up my mind on something, a Mini 14 would be a much better “knock-around” option.

I tend to be pretty cautious about purchases, but a CMP M1 Carbine would be something I’m sure i’d never regret.  Thanks for your input.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

From what I've seen of the prices, you can pretty much buy an original for about the same money as current copies or probably less if you're patient and shop around.  That's what I recommend. 

Agreed. I’ll stay patient and keep an eye out.

Im a big music fan, so I really want a Rock-Ola M1 Carbine.  I love the idea of a jukebox company joining the war effort.  There’s a few pop up on Gun Broker here and there, just hoping for a deal.

The Rock-Ola is one of the rarer M1 Carbines. Very collectible and desirable. If you want one, be prepared to spend big money. Two to three grand at least. 

If what you want is a Ranch Rifle, you might want to consider the original there as well. Nothing wrong with a good old lever action. 😉

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1

My LGS, Cross Roads Firearms, has a new  Inland for $799 right now.  It's in Knoxville, at 5703 N. Broadway.

I will through my 2 cents in on Ruger Mini-14s.  I've owned two Ruger Mini-14s.  I will not own another.  One was a Series 180 and the other a series 181.  Neither would hold a group worth a damn, once the barrel heated up.  15 rounds or so. was usually enough. Not even a good mag full.  New ones may be better, I don't know.  They are pricey too.  Mags are outragously expensive.   For the money you will spend on a Mini-14, you can go to Palmetto State Armory and buy one of their ARs, plus a bunch of mags and have a much better rifle. Or spend that money on a Ruger AR.

• Like 2

Being a big fan of the M1 Carbine I’d say get one.  I’m another “get an original” guy, but I also enjoy the history and authenticity and take care of the ones I have.

If new is your thing, get a new one.  It might have some kind of warranty.  Just stay away from some of the later production Plainfield’s, Universal’s, and Iver Johnson’s, etc.  They all started out building new Carbines out of surplus USGI parts, when that ended they started cutting corners with inferior parts.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, DaveTN said:

+1 on the mini 14 or even better, the mini 30. I The 30 carbine round is under powered. And it's hard to find anything but hardball rounds.

On 10/7/2020 at 2:09 PM, Moped said:

For the money you will spend on a Mini-14, you can go to Palmetto State Armory and buy one of their ARs, plus a bunch of mags and have a much better rifle. Or spend that money on a Ruger AR.

I've definitely heard plenty of bad reports on the Mini-14s,  though the newer ones do tend to garner more favorable reviews.  Unfortunately (this might get me kicked off the forum?!?) but I'm just not really into ARs. I know they have a ton of advantages, and can do a lot for a lot less, but I can't get stoked about 'em.  My aesthetic vs utility quirk gets in my way a lot.. same with old vehicles, old guitars...etc etc

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, RTT said:

I've definitely heard plenty of bad reports on the Mini-14s,  though the newer ones do tend to garner more favorable reviews.  Unfortunately (this might get me kicked off the forum?!?) but I'm just not really into ARs. I know they have a ton of advantages, and can do a lot for a lot less, but I can't get stoked about 'em.  My aesthetic vs utility quirk gets in my way a lot.. same with old vehicles, old guitars...etc etc

We like what we like.  I had wanted a Mini-14 for a long time, but only got one a few years ago from a fellow TGOer.  They are nice and all, but maybe it's because of having been using them for a long time, but I like the ARs better.  But we are not locked in to just having one, so I have many different weapons with different purposes.

59 minutes ago, RTT said:

You have to go with what you like. I have no problem with that. My first semi was a Mini-14, basically because of the looks. I just didn’t have a good experience, especially considering I had more trigger time with M-16s in the military. I really did try to like them, but just came to realize they weren’t for me, for the reasons I stated. 

At this point in my life, I think I’d take the money I would spend on a Mini and try to find a nice M1 carbine. I might even opt for a new Inland, if I needed to be budget minded. I actually like the .30 carbine round. I think it’s a fun little round and honestly, it’s probably a better SD option than today’s 9mm carbines, though HP ammo is hard to find. But what ammunition isn’t hard to find now-a-days? 🙂

5 hours ago, RTT said:

You and me agree on AR's. I'm not into them either. Nothing against them , they just never did anything for me. 

On 10/7/2020 at 5:58 PM, gregintenn said:

I have an Inland and a Winchester. I highly recommend an original instead of a repro.

Yep, I've got an original Inland. An early one in the 300,000 range. Good little rifles but, I don't shoot mine a lot. 

8 hours ago, TomInMN said:

I'd you want the M1, go with that. Buy once, cry once.

If you opt to go a different route, what about an SKS?

M1 Carbines are elegant and just more funner compared to the heavy, ungainly, commie SKS’ (I own and enjoy both).

1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

The old Carbine can dress up pretty tacti-cool. This here is my Zombie Rifle. 😉

nWZFVnK.jpg

I was hoping we’d never see that again. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
33 minutes ago, Garufa said:

M1 Carbines are elegant and just more funner compared to the heavy, ungainly, commie SKS’ (I own and enjoy both).

I agree.

But if cost is an issue and steel and wood in a fairly traditional semi auto rifle are requirements, an SKS is handy enough, can be made to feed from AK mags, and leave a healthy budget for ammo in a powerful enough cartridge.

While it's definitely not as refined as an M1 carbine, an SKS certainly has character and a soul. IMNSHO, that's more than can be said for an AR. (And I like ARs.)

5 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

While it's definitely not as refined as an M1 carbine, an SKS certainly has character and a soul. IMNSHO, that's more than can be said for an AR. (And I like ARs.)

Totally agree with that, but you can’t pick up an SKS with one hand and get down to businesses in a situation, the M1 Carbine has the advantage there.

I think the M1 Carbine is a much better home defense rifle than an AR. You have ballistics better than the .357 Magnum in a small, light, easy to use package. No real worries about over penetration and the muzzle blast is quite tame for a rifle. The Zombie Rifle was built just for that purpose. Its my primary home defense rifle. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

Totally agree with that, but you can’t pick up an SKS with one hand and get down to businesses in a situation, the M1 Carbine has the advantage there.

The M1 carbine has the advantage pretty much across the board, except maybe for the cartridge (I don't know).

But, the SKS might be a more appealing option for OP in this specific situation.