I want a lever action rifle.

Snaveba

On 11/29/2023 at 4:18 PM, Snaveba said:

Whelp, I picked up another Marlin 336 from 1957. It’s gonna be a serious project rifle. 
TBH, it kind of looks like someone took a fine grinding wheel to a seriously rusty old 336. There are places the metal almost looks Damascus 😂. However I looked it over and the bore is good. The action is smooth and the trigger feels fine. My plan (as of now) is to cut it down into a 16.5” Trapper, and thread the barrel for a suppressor. It’s not going to be pretty when I am done, maybe a little more like a rifle from MadMax. I might try my hand at re-blueing, who knows. If anyone has a stock and forend for a 336, in bad condition (just not sanded upon) let me know. The stock that is with the “rifle” has been sanded pretty good and the tang (top and bottom) are nowhere near flush. 
IMG_4101.jpeg.324335f72354cab2086e125b16879080.jpeg
IMG_4102.jpeg.fab67fc478b0a3db1d61fd4641efbf57.jpeg

IMG_4103.jpeg.6a4578a7ffed30af9977cb970f4a369d.jpeg

IMG_4104.thumb.jpeg.460cd2aef6d5f3797cd306d9300f186b.jpeg

She's gonna make a fine trapper.  I have the replacement forend on the way.  I received the short mag tube with the dovetail stud.  I plan to re-blue the rifle as is.  I actually really like the texture left by the rusting.  Maybe I will re-blue, then distress the bluing for a worn look.  Who knows.  It's all new territory to me.  I will post more pics once either make more room or TGO Dave increases our allotted storage space. 

I guess I need to pay for the 45-70 and then start saving for a 30cal suppressor (maybe a Harvester EVO) for the trapper.  I think a suppressed 30-30 will just be way cool. 

Good Point !    I could always sale it if i end up wanting 30-30.    I know the 45 colt will not be time accurate Im just trying to avoid adding another caliber to my list....But the advantage the 30-30 gives may just make it worth it 😆

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, DUKETN said:

Good Point !    I could always sale it if i end up wanting 30-30.    I know the 45 colt will not be time accurate Im just trying to avoid adding another caliber to my list....But the advantage the 30-30 gives may just make it worth it 😆

I think buying both would be the correct answer. This IS a gun forum after all.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, DUKETN said:

I have dies for both. Acquired them from a gent who retired from cowboy action shooting. Don't own a 45 colt,,,yet. But I can use the dies as leverage with the wife when I set out to buy one. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
58 minutes ago, papa61 said:

I have dies for both. Acquired them from a gent who retired from cowboy action shooting. Don't own a 45 colt,,,yet. But I can use the dies as leverage with the wife when I set out to buy one. 🙂 

I’ve bought guns for thinner reasons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Snaveba said:

I like the way you have them mounted. Where did you get the wall mounts?

Hold Up Displays. My wife started it all with this rack. I have 46 leverguns on the walls and then pistols on shelves and walls with their brackets. The look like hammered steel up close. 

Hold Up Displays 12 Gun Rack Modern Black Steel Tactical Wall Mount for Rifles and Shotguns HD91 Made in The USA https://a.co/d/5EiheWj

Edited by TripleGGG
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

So I have more to add (the 45-70, but I’m doing a little work on it) but here is my newest project. Marlin 1893 chambered in 38-55 circa 1900. It’s only a barreled action. So she will need a bit of work. I have a stock and forend on the way (although they are for a carbine) which need finishing as well. 
IMG_4322.jpeg.53337730174d83554978ae0fca689916.jpeg

• Like 5
On 12/5/2023 at 8:10 PM, gregintenn said:

I’ve bought guns for thinner reasons.

As an American, I need no 'reason' or 'need' to buy a gun.  My wife learned to stop asking how many guns I have or need.  She doesn't any longer ask why I duplicates.

Edited by tnhawk
  • Like 3
On 11/29/2023 at 4:18 PM, Snaveba said:

Whelp, I picked up another Marlin 336 from 1957. It’s gonna be a serious project rifle. 
TBH, it kind of looks like someone took a fine grinding wheel to a seriously rusty old 336. There are places the metal almost looks Damascus 😂. However I looked it over and the bore is good. The action is smooth and the trigger feels fine. My plan (as of now) is to cut it down into a 16.5” Trapper, and thread the barrel for a suppressor. It’s not going to be pretty when I am done, maybe a little more like a rifle from MadMax. I might try my hand at re-blueing, who knows. If anyone has a stock and forend for a 336, in bad condition (just not sanded upon) let me know. The stock that is with the “rifle” has been sanded pretty good and the tang (top and bottom) are nowhere near flush. 
IMG_4101.jpeg.324335f72354cab2086e125b16879080.jpeg
IMG_4102.jpeg.fab67fc478b0a3db1d61fd4641efbf57.jpeg

IMG_4103.jpeg.6a4578a7ffed30af9977cb970f4a369d.jpeg

IMG_4104.thumb.jpeg.460cd2aef6d5f3797cd306d9300f186b.jpeg

So here is this rifle now. I did cold blue the steel, refinished the stock, found a forend to refinish, cut the barrel down to 16.5”, hand cut the dovetail for the mag tube pin. The stripped receiver and barrel went to Class3Machining in Texas for threading. Only took 2weeks. 
(The can is still in jail)

IMG_4384.jpeg

IMG_4385.thumb.jpeg.84719593c60e14718841e0ec8a0e0636.jpeg

Edited by Snaveba
Added information
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, Snaveba said:

So here is this rifle now. I did cold blue the steel, refinished the stock, found a forend to refinish, cut the barrel down to 16.5”, hand cut the dovetail for the mag tube pin. The stripped receiver and barrel went to Class3Machining in Texas for threading. Only took 2weeks. 
(The can is still in jail)

IMG_4384.jpeg

IMG_4385.thumb.jpeg.84719593c60e14718841e0ec8a0e0636.jpeg

That's some fine work there on a classic workhorse rifle.  Love the way it looks.  

• Thanks 1