Interesting exchange with my State Representative.

I got an e-mail from TFA today which named legislators who have made public statements in regard to Red Flag. Much to my surprise and dismay I saw where my State Representative  John Gillespie, District 97 has publicly come out in favor of Red Flag. He is a Republican, but also apparently a dumbass. 🙄 To be honest, I wasn't exactly tactful when writing to him. I was quite blunt. Even insulting. But he deserved it. 

I sent him an e-mail expressing my displeasure in this. Again, to my surprise, responded quickly. But his response was just a bunch of links to articles in the Daily Memphian newspaper. a know liberal rag.  which seem to center on keeping guns out of the hands of the wrong people. I couldn't really tell because all I got was a quick glimpse of the headline and then a paywall popped up. 🙄  He even took credit for writing an op-ed on the subject. 

Anyway what followed were 3 more e-mails between us with pretty much the same results. 

I kept trying to make the point that Red Flag is unconstitutional. Guilty until proven innocent. I pressed this point several times. But he kept ignoring that point and pressing keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.  To which I replied: "

"I also don't want the mentally ill to have firearms. But to do so at the cost of Constitutional rights is just plain wrong and illegal. You can not infringe upon a person's rights because of what they might do. That's exactly what Red Flag does. If a person is legally declared mentally ill, go ahead, take their guns. But until then, they have constitutionally protected rights. Plus the potential for abuse and misuse of such a law are staggering." 

At one point he did ask me: ". You live in Shelby County. Are you not sick of the violence????".

To which I responded: "Of course I'm sick of the violence. That why I chose not to be a victim. I have had a handgun permit since 1992. Even before the state issued them. I rarely leave my house unarmed. The criminal justice system has failed miserably in Shelby County. And you're part of the problem.
But all of this is moot. Red Flag is simply UNCONSTITUTIONAL. GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT. You refuse to see that."

It was like talking to a wall. He kept side stepping and not once did he even acknowledge the constitutional issues at stake here. 

That is a look into the mind of an anti-2A politician. 💩

State Representative  John Gillespie. If you live in District 97, remember this come election time. This idiot needs to go. 🤬

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Trying to talk to an anti-2nd person is going no where, they just do not understand and never will.

9 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

UNCONSTITUTIONAL. GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT

The very reason I will not fly!!!

BE DAMNED IF I WILL ALLOW SOME ONE TO PUT HANDS ON ME WITH OUT A SEARCH WARRANT OR LEO WITH A GOOD REASON!!!

• Like 1

Here's what pisses me off. I voted for this idiot. He's a republican and was supposedly pro 2A. I told him flat out that I won't vote for him again and I'll tell everybody I know not to vote for him. I hope his political career is dead. 💩

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I propose we remove the mentally ill from public rather than removing guns.

How did a Republican get elected in Shelby county?

The same way Democrats are elected - Payola, Patronage, and Pandering.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

How did a Republican get elected in Shelby county?

Once you get outside the Memphis city limits, the rest of Shelby county is very conservative. District 97 covers Bartlett and other areas outside of Memphis. The problem is that Memphis by itself has the rest of us badly out numbered. 🤬

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

Once you get outside the Memphis city limits, the rest of Shelby county is very conservative. District 97 covers Bartlett and other areas outside of Memphis. The problem is that Memphis by itself has the rest of us badly out numbered. 🤬

Thanks for the explanation. I haven’t been there since I was a small child and was not aware of the distinction.

Gillespie would not reocgnize the Constitution if it ran over him in the hall on the way to the bathroom.  Mark White is no better.  Rose and Taylor are virulntly anti 2ndAmendment as well.  They say one thing, do another.

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 1

I doubt your rep ever even saw any of the emails you sent.  You probably got (mostly) canned replies from a staff member instead.  At least, that seems to be typical of most of the congress critters in office, regardless of their persuasion ...

15 hours ago, No_0ne said:

I doubt your rep ever even saw any of the emails you sent.  You probably got (mostly) canned replies from a staff member instead.  At least, that seems to be typical of most of the congress critters in office, regardless of their persuasion ...

They’ve all gotten too big for their britches!

On 7/30/2023 at 7:23 PM, No_0ne said:

I doubt your rep ever even saw any of the emails you sent.  You probably got (mostly) canned replies from a staff member instead. 

I believe it actually was him. This exchange took place after 7:00pm and the wording didn't seem to match an office stooge. 

• Moderators

The real thinker over at T-Rex put out this video that talks about the TN special session in specific and Red Flag laws in general. Lots of good information that may be helpful for talking to your legislators. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Thanks 1

Living in Nashville, my reps are democrats and wont even respond to any email I send, not even a canned response.  When Jim Cooper was my US rep, he'd at least respond to my emails, and sometimes I think it was really him writing them, though not usually.  I spoke with him a couple times years ago at a few veterans events he sponsored that I worked and I knew how he talked.  Im still surprised that he didn't get me put on some no fly list or at least get me investigated. (No I never threatened him, but if I recall correctly, I may have used the words "f*****g idiot in one response or two to his reply to mine.  But this crap is way worse than the dems.  Heck, you expect this from them, its what they do.  The GOP, though are supposed to be conservative and pro 2a.  What happened.  Heck, they cant even get so called pro 2a legislation right.  Im still pissed that 1. its illegal here to go armed, and 2, that its a crime to carry past a gunbuster sign.  And I'm not sure how bad this impending gun ban stuff will be, but looking at the dems list, its pretty bad what they want, Heidi Campbell is my Senator and she's one that since I'm conservative, wont even have her staff respond to me.  And her gun agenda is LONG and deep.

On 7/30/2023 at 7:23 PM, No_0ne said:

I have a friend who used to be in the Republican Party in Shelby County, a divorce and health issues have resulted in him taking a lower profile in politics.  However, he texted Gillespie yesterday over the same issue and received a disjointed tirade of invectives, being called a right-wing nut job and such.

Suffice it to say that Gillespie will not be getting any more checks for campaign donations from that source.

What is it with the caliber of politicians from Shelby County?  At least Senators Rose and Taylor are smart enough not to publicly support the Red Flag agenda, even though they do, which is obvious from their stabbing SB 1503 to death in Judiciary committee last session.

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Worriedman said:

What is it with the caliber of politicians form Shelby County?

The same as with politicians everywhere. All they care about is money and power. They don't give a 💩 about the people. 

The only real difference in Shelby county is that they're so arrogant that they don't try to hide it. 🤬

• Like 1
  • Love 1