Has anyone gotten decimated with the flu/Covid/?

Scotty

I’m healthy, 35 and in decent shape. 

I don’t know whether I got the flu or Covid but I can say unequivocally this is easiest the sickest I’ve been ever. 

Started last Friday at work and was cold but didn’t think anything of it. Woke up Saturday and felt like I had the worlds worst hangover (don’t miss those). Blinded behind the eyes, every inch of my body and joints hurt. I did an extreme amount of labor in anwkward positions and chalked it up to not being in as good of shape as I thought I was. Proceeded to leave work early Sat PM and not sleep a wink. Heartburn that wouldn’t let up (I eat mostly very low carb and never get heartburn), feverish dreams, sweating through my sheets. 

Made it through most of the work week staying the hell away from people as it’s my busy season but if an opportunity to leave early came I took it. I’m going on 9 days and still just sore as hell. Head cold, behind the eyes hurts if I move too fast like a migraine. 

Kinda thought I’d kick this by now as I’m rarely sick. Anyone else get checked out and see what’s going around? Have a stew going but haven’t had much appetite and down 5 lbs. Mainly wondering when I’ll be able to walk up hill or swing 20 pounds without feeling like I’m 90. Figured I’d throw it out there and see if anyone else caught this and maybe saw a PCP for it. 

Edited by Scotty

Sounds like the flu, bro. It’s rough! Both times I’ve had it, I couldn’t even think of getting out of bed for a couple of days.

The ‘Rona felt to me like a mild cold coupled with the fact I couldn’t smell anything for a couple of weeks.

Edited by gregintenn

That’s what I’m thinking. 

Was being frugal and skipped the copay. Hindsight. Just seeing if anyone else got completely laid out. I’ve napped more the past week than the past year combined. 

Figure Covid at this point has mutated enough to be non existent but still have people at work out.  

Thanks for the input!

Sorry. 

I didn't even know I had covid the first time. I was not allowed to be off that time. The second time my family all had it and I wasn't allowed to be off for that either. My Wife had one really hard time with what we think was covid. She was in a questionable country and when she came back, she got quite ill.  The funny is, her biggest issue was all of her hair fell out.  Women!?

• Wow 1

Scotty, sounds like a bad case of the flu to me. I've had the same. Bed fast, couldn't get up, feed myself. Don't recall how long it lasted . This was in the 80s. Started flu shots every year afterwards . No more flu since.

Get well soon brother, but don't rush it. It'll take a while.

• Like 1

Sounds like flu, but the first time I had covid, it was pretty much the same as flu (except I temporarily lost my sense of smell).  The second time was a headache and scratchy throat for a couple days.  My daughter’s friend recently had something similar to what you describe and she was covid negative/flu positive.  

• Like 1

I understand it being the busy season (is there a not busy season?), but you need to rest. One thing I've learned as I've gotten older....  trying to power through these kinds of bugs just prolongs the misery. Take a day or 2 and just rest, it'll help a lot. If it doesn't, see a doctor. 

Make sure you try to stay upright as much as you can, don't just lay around horizontal. Helps to keep it from settling in your chest. I slept in my recliner or propped up with pillows. Get some sunlight as well for the vitamin D. Zinc chewables seemed to help me as well.

• Like 1

@Scottyone more thing. Some folks get Covid and it lingers for awhile. I was like that. I was over the main symptoms (aches, fever, chills, etc.. the flu symptoms) in a week or two,  but the aftermath took awhile. For me, I was lethargic, tired and just generally "down" for about a month.  Wake up in the morning, feel fine.. then walk to the mailbox and feel like i wanted a nap by the time I get back to the house.

So if you feel that way, you're not alone there. My mom and her boyfriend had the same experience and they just got covid for the first time about 2 months ago. It'll pass, just make sure you stay active. Even if it's just a stroll at lunch or something.

Worst case, talk to your doc. Gassing out quickly is a lot different that physically still sick.

10 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

@Scottyone more thing. Some folks get Covid and it lingers for awhile. I was like that. I was over the main symptoms (aches, fever, chills, etc.. the flu symptoms) in a week or two,  but the aftermath took awhile. For me, I was lethargic, tired and just generally "down" for about a month.  Wake up in the morning, feel fine.. then walk to the mailbox and feel like i wanted a nap by the time I get back to the house.

So if you feel that way, you're not alone there. My mom and her boyfriend had the same experience and they just got covid for the first time about 2 months ago. It'll pass, just make sure you stay active. Even if it's just a stroll at lunch or something.

Worst case, talk to your doc. Gassing out quickly is a lot different that physically still sick.

Really appreciate all the responses. Upped the vitamins a bit more. Getting sun. The mailbox line hit home. 

Going to give it another week and if not may get some blood work done. I’m due for a yearly so also want to to see if I can convince them to roll bloodwork into a physical and maybe test for Lyme too. This was the worst year ever for me with ticks, and late august the dog seemed to hit every seed tick nest in the woods. That’s been in the back of my mind. 

Appreciate the responses, just wanted to gauge if anyone else knew anyone that got rocked because this is completely new for me. Thanks again. 

Edited by Scotty
  • Admin Team
8 hours ago, Scotty said:

Really appreciate all the responses. Upped the vitamins a bit more. Getting sun. The mailbox line hit home. 

Going to give it another week and if not may get some blood work done. I’m due for a yearly so also want to to see if I can convince them to roll bloodwork into a physical and maybe test for Lyme too. This was the worst year ever for me with ticks, and late august the dog seemed to hit every seed tick nest in the woods. That’s been in the back of my mind. 

Appreciate the responses, just wanted to gauge if anyone else knew anyone that got rocked because this is completely new for me. Thanks again. 

You really ought to check with your PCP.

It's probably worth picking up a fingertip oximeter - they're not that expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Zacurate-Fingertip-Oximeter-Saturation-Batteries/dp/B07PQ8WTC4

If it drops below 95% - that's a direct prompt to go get help.

• Like 1

The current strain of Covid is actually on the uptick and hospitalizations are also increasing. This current strain seems to be a bit worse than the last two or three mutations/variations. 

I had it in July for the second time. Mostly flu like symptoms with body aches, a bit of a fever, some headache, fatigue, some upper respiratory issues, and sore throat. Honestly it was exactly like the first time I had Covid in late 2021 only is was half as bad. My symptoms in July were identical to 2021 but half as severe while lasting half as long. In 2021 I barely stayed out of the hospital, this july I was back to work and fairly well recovered in 5 or 6 days. 

Back years ago I caught the Hong Kong flu and it was as sick as I have ever been in my life and very contageous. I worked with 5 other guys and even though I went home in half a day I managed to give it to all the other guys. I was down for 2 days and then I managed to give it to my wife and two boys. I learned that it affects all folks differently. My wife and 2 boys were down with it for about 10 days while I managed to shake it in about 4 days but it affected all my buddies at work differently also. I went back to work on day 2 as they has to close the shop and I was able to at least meet with customers to tell them why the shop was closed and after about 6 days we were able to open back up. Like I said, that is the sickest I have ever been and I get a Flu shot every year now.