Big Belly and No Butt

So how we carry with our American male physique has come up in another thread.
I'm older and have a big belly and noassatol syndrome. Belts are extremely important. I've seen a youtuber advocating holsters that can be used in sweatpants with no belt. This is laughable, even when I was young and had a waist, any pistol I would consider for daily carry would drop sweats to the floor before I got across the room I'm sure. Even the 9oz plus ammo Browning 25 would pull my sweats down now. I applaud the return of the fanny pack to service but I wouldn't want to use that now. I have the idea to build myself a medium size cross body bag. Even looked at several patterns from my favorite pattern sellers. nothing has made the cut yet but I do see a few that could be modded to work. I have also considered wearing a vest made for CCW with the holster pocket inside. With a lighter pistol this could work but having to unzip a pocket then draw would be a hinderance that could cost a life. The cross body I have in my head would not have a zippered pocket for the holster. We will see what I can come up with. The belt I have in mind (and cut) will be two layers of 5-6 ounce with a third, narrower, layer used as stiffener. Just have to get situated where I can finish it. I built my first shoulder rig for another customer who is very large. I think this is a great way to carry if you can wear a cover garment. But it has to fit right. I am told they are uncomfortable but I think it's the best way to carry a full size handgun.

I know we have delved into this before but hey, all things come around again.

45 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Suspenders. 😉

I work with a man who wears a belt and suspenders, always found that odd myself. not knocking suspenders, never tried them. If my pants or shorts have belt loops, I'm wearing a belt. Overalls with and inside the bib holster attachment has crossed my mind more than once, but I could carry a S&W 29 in the front pocket so really not necessary.

To be fair, I don't wear sweats or coaches shorts out anywhere so I always have a belt on when I'm out. To me, a belly band would be the best in that instance though. Had to wear a hernia wrap after surgery and I don't think it would be comfortable, so back to fanny pack. LOL

Belly band holster should do it. Good name brand like Galco.    When I was heavier it was the only carry method comfortable. Trick is hike it up over your belly and have it so the gun butt is closer to your armpit.  You can wear this all day with just a t shirt.

36 minutes ago, Will said:

Belly band holster should do it. Good name brand like Galco.    When I was heavier it was the only carry method comfortable. Trick is hike it up over your belly and have it so the gun butt is closer to your armpit.  You can wear this all day with just a t shirt.

That's something I hadn't thought of. Good idea! I don't know if I could wear one all day though most would have no problem. 

Also have this ‘medical condition, LOL.  I have belly bands and a carry undershirt with pouches and other things.  What works best for me so far is a good OWB holster, a rigid Kore belt and a loose over shirt or jacket.  I have a couple carry fanny packs but don’t use them as they have been considered to scream, Gun!  I’ve also got a couple cross body sling packs, and while I like them, I tend to fill them up rather quickly with stuff I ‘need’  to carry, to the point that they are too heavy to carry.  I’ve got an emergency bag in the back of my car, with first aid stuff, water filters, etc. my sling bag is too heavy, containing several loaded spare mags, a mag loader and a couple boxes of extra ammo. I guess one solution would be to leave a bag containing spare mags in the car, and then carry a very light sling bag back and forth?  If you’re carrying a gun in your sling bag, I’d recommend you rehearse drawing it so you can learn to be quick at it.

Well, I’m following this topic, I’m a damn poster child for “noassitis”… 

Sweats? Out of the question. Heck, I even replace most stretch draw strings with para cord and a cord lock. Nothing heavier than an NAA Mini though. With that Nex belt, cinched tight, my P365X or a J Frame in an OW or IWB is okay, but I add suspenders if I’m carrying bigger. Suspenders and that Nex belt and I’m fine.

I just got a Hill Country Kit Bag, which is a fanny pack size but worn on your chest, I think it has limited application out in civilization, but when we are on our UTV up in the hills, that will be great because it’s all right there, accessible, light, gun, spare mag, wallet, phone, knife, etc… 

Edited by OMCHamlin
1 hour ago, Defender said:

Also have this ‘medical condition, LOL.  I have belly bands and a carry undershirt with pouches and other things.  What works best for me so far is a good OWB holster, a rigid Kore belt and a loose over shirt or jacket.  I have a couple carry fanny packs but don’t use them as they have been considered to scream, Gun!  I’ve also got a couple cross body sling packs, and while I like them, I tend to fill them up rather quickly with stuff I ‘need’  to carry, to the point that they are too heavy to carry.  I’ve got an emergency bag in the back of my car, with first aid stuff, water filters, etc. my sling bag is too heavy, containing several loaded spare mags, a mag loader and a couple boxes of extra ammo. I guess one solution would be to leave a bag containing spare mags in the car, and then carry a very light sling bag back and forth?  If you’re carrying a gun in your sling bag, I’d recommend you rehearse drawing it so you can learn to be quick at it.

Yep, my sling bag has extra AR mags and is way too heavy for EDC. And it SCREAMS tactical bag,,,mainly because it is. For EDC i am thinking something smaller, maybe even a belt bag. Bigger than a phone case but smaller than a tablet bag. Something just big enough for a full sized pistol, wallet, and normal pocket stuff. It needs to be useful for pistol without saying "I'm a ho;ster". If I find a design I like I'll post it once it's done.

• Like 1

I have a Maxpedition Neat Freak which is great for a full size handgun

spacer.png3

I also have a Maxpedition Compact Admin Pouch which will JUST fit a Sig P365 (original size w/ pinky extension.

The problem is both scream "look at my tactical bag with a gun inside". So I mostly wear wide suspenders that clip to my belt loops. It's the most comfy setup I ever tried and the wide straps stay on your shoulders. I always wear mine under my shirt, not over w/ or w/out an undershirt. If you're looking for something more minimal, I can't say enough good things about these Hikers hidden suspenders. I forget I have them on most of the time and they give me enough support to go beltless for even an IWB holster. They're my favorite

• Like 2

I am also a large guy with no butt and carrying has always been an issue with me. I dang near cut myself in half trying to carry my XDs with an extra mag. The tighter I made my belt the more uncomfortable I was. Then a friend told me about upfitters suspenders. They are awesome. I wear a core belt with IWB holster w/extra mag and my belt at a very comfortable light tension and do not run around pulling my pants up all the time. Game changer for me. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Raoul said:

All you guys complaining about belts, are you using a real gun belt or some Wal-Mart POS? Take a look at Beltman for a real gunbelt.

Kore is a Great belt. Been using them for a while now. Definitely not complaining about belts. Complaining about no butt and big bellies 

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Raoul said:

All you guys complaining about belts, are you using a real gun belt or some Wal-Mart POS? Take a look at Beltman for a real gunbelt.

Don't believe I have ever bought a belt at walmart. not all of my belts are gunbelts true, but all are quality leather. the belt is not my problem LOL. After losing 30 lbs I'm still fat and have two new belts that are too large. Still have issues with too much belly and a full size pistol makes it worse.

• Like 1

All ya old guys with no butt n big belly: 

Wear hi back overalls and ya can carry most anything in your strong side hip pocket.  No body will notice if ya are not in the " Uptown Financial District". I can easily carry a gubt model 45ACP in em.  The normal Glock stuff just disappears...

Advice from a gimped up old codger with a big belly and butt.  A size 52 fits me about right.  Gonna wear my hickory striped hi backs tomorrow.  

rustic leroy...

• Haha 2
33 minutes ago, leroy said:

Wear hi back overalls and ya can carry most anything in your strong side hip pocket.  No body will notice if ya are not in the " Uptown Financial District". I can easily carry a gubt model 45ACP in em.  The normal Glock stuff just disappears...

Advice from a gimped up old codger with a big belly and butt.  A size 52 fits me about right.  Gonna wear my hickory striped hi backs tomorrow.  

rustic leroy...

This is the truth.  If y’all can’t keep your britches up naturally then suspenders, shoulder holsters, and overalls are basically your choices… in that order.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, leroy said:

rustic leroy...

I wore my Liberty Bibs Saturday, while helping my wife with her craft show. I love Bibs with deep pockets! Carried my Ruger Max9 with RDS in my strongside pocket (in a Sticky holster) and two spare mags in a DeSantis double mag holster in my weakside pocket. Everything else went into my two chest pockets, including a large lock blade knife, a Swiss Army knife Farmer, ChapStick, and my keys. The back pockets held my wallet and smartphone. And it was extremely loose and comfortable! 

Listen to that old codger @leroy! He know of what he speaks!!! 🙂 

Edited by Moped
  • Love 1
On 10/15/2023 at 7:34 PM, BJB said:

I am also a large guy with no butt and carrying has always been an issue with me. I dang near cut myself in half trying to carry my XDs with an extra mag. The tighter I made my belt the more uncomfortable I was. Then a friend told me about upfitters suspenders. They are awesome. I wear a core belt with IWB holster w/extra mag and my belt at a very comfortable light tension and do not run around pulling my pants up all the time. Game changer for me. 

Those Upfitter suspenders are nice! I wish they'd been around when I bought 2 pairs of the original Hikers that hook to the button in the front instead. I bet they're even better.

• Like 1

For a few years when i was carrying my Sig 1911 and then my FN-45 plus 2 spare mags, along with other pocket litter, I wore a belt and a pair of Perry wide suspenders that hooked onto my belt.  It kept my pants up but I developed should issues in my weak side shoulder unrelated to the suspenders so I had to stop using the suspenders due to shoulder pain. .  About the same time, I switched to a Sig P-365 as my EDC and started carrying both IWB and OWB with a Kore belt. In addition to my 365, I also carry one extra 17 round mag, a Benchmade auto, a big wallet, a small  keys and a small Kershaw Launch 4 auto. I have to cinch it up snug but it holds everything in place with minimal hitching up my pants.

Edited by Defender
2 hours ago, BigK said:

Those Upfitter suspenders are nice! I wish they'd been around when I bought 2 pairs of the original Hikers that hook to the button in the front instead. I bet they're even better.

I love mine. They now hook to the belt loops   And are not so over bearing that they give you a wedgie but still keep everything where they should be. 1 year in and still holding up great 

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, BJB said:

I love mine. They now hook to the belt loops   And are not so over bearing that they give you a wedgie but still keep everything where they should be. 1 year in and still holding up great 

How do you carry?  Are your pants rigid enough to support a holster or do you pocket varry?

17 hours ago, Defender said:

How do you carry?  Are your pants rigid enough to support a holster or do you pocket varry?

Kore belt with upfitters suspenders. IWB w/Canik Mete MC9  and 1spare mag   And all the other stuff I need for everyday use 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, BJB said:

Kore belt with upfitters suspenders. IWB w/Canik Mete MC9  and 1spare mag   And all the other stuff I need for everyday use 

oh ok.  Thats the way i did it when i used suspenders. Somehow I got the impression, I guess by looking at the upfitters web page that yall werent using a belt, lol.  That is what prompted my question. The Perry suspenders i used, the wider ones were very good.