Headlight Restoration Kits

I used the ceramic kit from Wal Mart on my truck lights. Easy to do, and under 20.00. No sanding, just clean with provided cleaner and spread the ceramic liquid evenly over the freshly cleaned surfaces and let dry. Wal Mart also has a kit to treat the black plastic around bumpers and wheels and it works great also. Leaves the plastic looking new. Easy to apply and restoration does last. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, jhc77 said:

This is a timely post.  I also used the above kit on my daughters 2011 Camry about a week ago and the results were far beyond my expectations.  I have done many lights over the years with various methods and this by far gave the best result. They looked like new.  The only difference was I used an additional step in that I used 5000 grit in addition to the steps in the box which stops at 3000 grit.  It was amazing.  Now I am waiting to see how long it lasts, but I was very pleased with the result. 

• Like 1

Some good advice here regarding sanding/rubbing compound.  The kits are just pre-packaged assortments of what you can source from any hardware store, normally at much lower prices.  As with any restoration of paint/plastics, start with the most aggressive media you feel comfortable with, progress through finer grits or compounds until the desired results are achieved.  I usually use wet or dry sandpaper, wet with plain water with a drop of Dawn dishwashing liquid, ,and finish off with a polish of some sort.  Headlight restoration is much like reviving old paint, same methods for the same results.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, jhc77 said:

I’ll have to look into this. I’ve never found another product that works as well as their (CERAKOTE) rubber/plastic restore wipes. We run our vehicles through a car wash at least 1-2 times per week, and even with that abuse their plastic/rubber product is lasting a good 6-8 months between applications.

15 minutes ago, Danger Rane said:

I’ll have to look into this. I’ve never found another product that works as well as their (CERAKOTE) rubber/plastic restore wipes. We run our vehicles through a car wash at least 1-2 times per week, and even with that abuse their plastic/rubber product is lasting a good 6-8 months between applications.

Thanks for the hint. I have a use for these. I’ll give them a try.

4 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

Project Farm, my trusted source for this kind of info. I watch every video.

The man has WAY to much free time, but he covers a LOT ground, I watch as well, when I have time.

• Haha 1

I've used those cerakote kits from Walmart on both cars.  For best results, sand it first. I wet sand with 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, then plastic polish with a drill buffing pad.  Takes maybe 20 minutes per light by hand. Then I use the chemical wipe kit. And I still see some oxidation removed with the wipe.  

If you don't sand first, they'll re-glaze over in less than a year. That's what happened with my wife's car anyway. After sanding, it's been several years and they're still clear. 

• Like 1

I bought an advertised kit at Wamart. I did everything it said to do but not much happened... until the very last step. When I did the very last step (a wet wipedown) suddenly they cleared up like magic.

A friend had tried the same kit & said that it didnt work. When I asked if he had followed the directions exactly he said no. I told him that mine did not clear up until the very last step and he said that that was the one step he ignored. 😂