Reasons why someone should get a hand gun carry permit

icruz

I think there should be MORE TRAINING to get a carry permit.There are too many idiots that have a TN .carry permit that DO NOT need one,don’t even know how to handle a handgun! Much less giving people the right to carry a handgun without a permit.That’s my rant. 

• Confused 1
  • Dislike 9
9 minutes ago, jeff43 said:

I think there should be MORE TRAINING to get a carry permit.There are too many idiots that have a TN .carry permit that DO NOT need one,don’t even know how to handle a handgun! Much less giving people the right to carry a handgun without a permit.That’s my rant. 

If there truly were that many idiots running around causing problems for everyone simply because they lacked mandatory firearms training than we would certainly be hearing about it and the TN legislators would certainly be trying to saddle us with it. I’m 100% in agreement that responsible gun owners should get training, just like I think everyone should stay out of debt, workout most days, and quit drinking, but I certainly don’t think any of that should be mandated. It’s a very slippery slope whenever we encourage the Govt to mandate something in the public “best interest” as they get a taste for it and don’t know where to stop. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, Danger Rane said:

If there truly were that many idiots running around causing problems for everyone simply because they lacked mandatory firearms training than we would certainly be hearing about it and the TN legislators would certainly be trying to saddle us with it. I’m 100% in agreement that responsible gun owners should get training, just like I think everyone should stay out of debt, workout most days, and quit drinking, but I certainly don’t think any of that should be mandated. It’s a very slippery slope whenever we encourage the Govt to mandate something in the public “best interest” as they get a taste for it and don’t know where to stop. 

Yeah , the Government gonna be in your business no matter what you do.

• Like 1

One cannot legally carry in any park in TN without permit.  If an employee of a post secondary school in TN one must have the ECP to do so with other stipulations as well.  It is against Federal law to be in a school zone or on school property without a permit.  Plus the benefit of out of state carry as noted.  Possible informal benefits when dealing with LEO, SD shooting, etc.

• Like 6

With rights come responsibilities. You have the right to own a gun. You have a responsibility to learn how to properly use it and learn the laws about carrying it. Getting the permit proves that you are a responsible gun owner with at least some training.  This could prove helpful if you ever have to deal with LE or the court system.  

• Like 4
11 hours ago, jeff43 said:

Your heart is in the right place, and you aren't wrong about a whole bunch of people carrying who have no business around a gun. But required training is all fine and good until the required amount of training is 500 classroom hours and 10,000 rounds on target in some obscure caliber that is unobtanium. Basically, I don't want some jack wagon politician to have the ability to decide what level of training is adequate for me to carry a gun, and to be able to bastardize those standards to make it overly difficult. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, jeff43 said:

There is more need for drivers training than handgun training IMO, and driving is a privilege that can have legislation put in place to force the training without violating the constitution.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Remember the thread we had a few weeks ago about data?

xx% of TN residents possessing a permit also makes the data tilt in the favor of 2A supporters when the bean counters and politicians are only interested in the data.

Could also possibly be used as a negative I suppose.
But I can't think of an example at the moment.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, JustEd said:

Don't forget all the certified instructors unemployed since permit less concealed carry came into effect.

They need love too!

Teaching carry classes was something I really enjoyed.  I was raised hunting/ shooting, but went to Front Sight and did a 4 day defensive handgun course.  I sucked, especially when I saw the difference when someone really could shoot a handgun skillfully.  Long story short, I’ve had hundreds of hours of training and I enjoyed helping new shooters.  On thing I learned, you don’t know what you don’t know.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, chances R said:

Teaching carry classes was something I really enjoyed.  I was raised hunting/ shooting, but went to Front Sight and did a 4 day defensive handgun course.  I sucked, especially when I saw the difference when someone really could shoot a handgun skillfully.  Long story short, I’ve had hundreds of hours of training and I enjoyed helping new shooters.  On thing I learned, you don’t know what you don’t know.

Did not get certified as HCP or CCW carry (State designations).  However have many an hour at two prestigious ranges either as RO, ASST RO, or "You, stand behind that guy so he doesn't hurt himself" supervisor.

I have a deep appreciation for those who teach.  Have had great teachers myself.  Too bad I still can't hit the target 🤣

On 11/28/2023 at 7:10 AM, DL126 said:

xx% of TN residents possessing a permit also makes the data tilt in the favor of 2A supporters when the bean counters and politicians are only interested in the data.

This is an excellent reason to get a permit - politicians in the anti gun camp, or on the fence can easily construe dwindling permit numbers as a lack of support for 2A interests. Allowing them the opportunity to try to push through more anti gun legislation. Even if you THINK you might carry, get a permit. 

Another reason - my son in law recently asked me this very question, if a permit was needed or "worth it". I told him any knowledge you gain is good knowledge, training required in permit acquisition is valuable. It allows the discussion and exploration of viewpoints that are not necessarily your own, making you think differently about a situation. The trainers I've had (for four permits) have been great. Knowledgeable and willing to share information without discounting or putting down an opinion not in line with their own. He got the enhanced permit and thanked me for the recommendation afterward, for those very reasons.  

I wondered this after the "constitutional carry". I'm not going anywhere, I know better than to carry at a school, and I do carry at a park if there is a bunch of people there. I would risk it for my and my communities safety. Foe me, (I know I may be retarded) the only reason I see for a legit carry permit, is the training. Training is worth more than anything. I would take a guy who has trained with a brand new Hi Point before I would an idiot with a Taran Tactical (I know I have small jewels) Pit Viper. Good educational training is priceless and invaluable. 

• Like 1

I almost wish we had a system like Israel. To where every 18 year old citizen was required to do a year in military service. To receive weapons training, to learn all the tools that make someone less ignorant of arms, the way the world really works, and how to defend themselves from evil.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JohnSutton1980 said:

I almost wish we had a system like Israel. To where every 18 year old citizen was required to do a year in military service. To receive weapons training, to learn all the tools that make someone less ignorant of arms, the way the world really works, and how to defend themselves from evil.

As I understand it if you’re not part of the military reserve, private individuals are not allowed to own firearms in Israel.

Great answers, what I tell the ones close to me get the permit it's not cost prohibited.  Pro's carry more places legally, carry in lots of states legally, get some training,  meet all kinds of people that have decided to take up something we all love, and yes court.

The cons time and money.

And as always practice often, dryfire, range, and the often under looked drawing your pistol whether from a holster or a purse.

• Like 1
On 11/27/2023 at 4:13 AM, TNman207 said:

Having a gun permit would be an advantage in court if you had to defend yourself. 

This as well as many other answers in this thread are fantastic. Looking to get my carry license here soon.