Must watch movie/television recommendations & interesting shows

Links2k

Old movie at this point, but Lawless with Tom Hardy is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time. If you havent seen it, take rhe time to watch it. Also, SISU is a really good, but super violent war movie in a somewhat Tarantino style. 

• Like 2

I’m currently enjoying “Masters Of The Air” on Apple TV+. It’s about WWII bomber pilots and crews. Very good series. 

On YouTube, I’m following 3 of 7 Project featuring former navy seal Chadd Wright and Chadd’s separate page. He’s a common sense independent thinker who prepares for the worst without overthinking everything and spreading panic. Both pages are very good in my opinion.

Chadd thinks Trump is the best president in his lifetime, but thinks people who worship Trump and display Trump flags, hats and other paraphernalia are idiots. 

• Like 1
On 2/27/2024 at 7:06 PM, Hozzie said:

True Detective Season 1.  I don’t know how I didn’t watch it when it first came out (2014).   Seasons 2 and 3 weren’t as good.  Just started season 4.  I have heard good things about it.  

Each season is different stories and different actors.  

I’ve watched Season 1 at least 5 times.I always find something I missed each time.I didn’t care for season two.Season 3 had potential but it was too much of a soap opera feel, the shootout at the house was the best part.I haven’t seen 4 yet.

1 hour ago, Links2k said:

I’m currently enjoying “Masters Of The Air” on Apple TV+. It’s about WWII bomber pilots and crews. Very good series. 

On YouTube, I’m following 3 of 7 Project featuring former navy seal Chadd Wright and Chadd’s separate page. He’s a common sense independent thinker who prepares for the worst without overthinking everything and spreading panic. Both pages are very good in my opinion.

Chadd thinks Trump is the best president in his lifetime, but thinks people who worship Trump and display Trump flags, hats and other paraphernalia are idiots. 

Chadd is an interesting fellow.  

2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Chadd is an interesting fellow.  

I like him. He’s never to high or too low, and regardless if I agree with him, he always explains his stance with conviction. 

A lot of evenings when i'm gearing down for sleep, i'll throw on a movie with subtitles until i get bored enough to sleep. Last night I started up a random movie on prime called "Range 15". I figured it would be dull enough to drift off. I only watched about 15-20 minutes but it's pretty ridiculous. I guess these guys are some vet/youtubers. One of the guys is a cofounder of black rifle coffee.

I may finish it, but if you like your freedom fart jokes, this is probably a good movie for you.

9 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

Another point, I watched episode 3 of Shogun last night. So far I'm very impressed.

I really enjoyed the original. The new series looks to be a winner. 

• Like 2
On 3/4/2024 at 5:31 PM, Spots said:

Old movie at this point, but Lawless with Tom Hardy is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time. If you havent seen it, take rhe time to watch it. Also, SISU is a really good, but super violent war movie in a somewhat Tarantino style. 

I found SISU late one night and couldn't stop watching. Bloody and rough. That covers it. Also interesting. Held me until the very end in the bank. That last scene was just perfect to end on! 

Edited by hipower
  • Moderators

Saw Dune part 2 with the wife last night. It’s a visually stunning film. If you don’t have connection to the original work, then I’m sure it will be quite enjoyable. If you are a long time fan of the books, written by Frank Herbert, then there is a good chance, that like me, this will fall significantly short of expectation. The more I think about particular changes the madder I get about it. 

Not a fan. 

• Thanks 1
On 3/10/2024 at 2:29 PM, Chucktshoes said:

Saw Dune part 2 with the wife last night. It’s a visually stunning film. If you don’t have connection to the original work, then I’m sure it will be quite enjoyable. If you are a long time fan of the books, written by Frank Herbert, then there is a good chance, that like me, this will fall significantly short of expectation. The more I think about particular changes the madder I get about it. 

Not a fan. 

I was never a fan of Frank Herbert. Just didn't care for him. Tried reading Dune several times and just couldn't do it. Of course that was probably 25 years ago.

But the idea of whole civilizations searching for, and fighting over giant worm dung just didn't grab me. 

These days...I might just have to try again.

Edited by hipower
  • Thanks 1

Never read the books or watched the old movie. I've enjoyed the 2 new Dune films. I hope they continue, but AIUI the source material gets pretty weird and probably won't translate to a broad audience targeted by big-budget Hollywood movies. Kind of like the stuff they cut out of the LOTR series (the Barrow downs, Tom Bombadil, etc.).

On 3/4/2024 at 5:31 PM, Spots said:

I just watched the trailer and I don't know how I missed that one. Looks like my kind of flick! Thanks.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I just finished the first season of “3 Body Problem” on Netflix. It’s a very good sci-fi series.  I can’t wait for season 2.  

I love asking questions and discovering or having answers explained, so the pace of the series was fine for me. My wife also ask a lot of questions, but she wants immediate answers, so it was a hard no for her. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks @Links2k.

I've got the "3 Body Problem" in my que.

I am thoroughly enjoying "Shogun" on Hulu. I remember the original series on TV and read the book a very long time ago. I'm impatient by nature so waiting for weekly episodes to drop is not my favorite thing... but the series is developing well.

I like old cheesy action movies... like the original "Road House" with Patrick Swayze , Sam Elliot, and Ben Gazzara (1989).  But then I think "Lethal Weapon" and "Die Hard" are excellent Christmas movies 😉

The "Road House 2024" on Netflix is an abomination! Blasphemy!

and I can't get that part of my life back... 😠 

ETA: I stuck for the next 4-5 weeks on a walker/rollator and ortho boot according to my surgeon yesterday...LIMITED weight bearing hoping the tendons attach properly...so  please keep recommendations coming in please. 🙂

Edited by Jamie Jackson
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Jamie Jackson said:

ETA: I stuck for the next 4-5 weeks on a walker/rollator and ortho boot according to my surgeon yesterday...LIMITED weight bearing hoping the tendons attach properly...so  please keep recommendations coming in please. 🙂

1.  I wish for you the best and rapid recovery.

2. Any attempt to "re-make" a movie with Sam Elliott in it is destined to fall short.

Edited by tacops
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

Thanks @Links2k.

I've got the "3 Body Problem" in my que.

I am thoroughly enjoying "Shogun" on Hulu. I remember the original series on TV and read the book a very long time ago. I'm impatient by nature so waiting for weekly episodes to drop is not my favorite thing... but the series is developing well.

I like old cheesy action movies... like the original "Road House" with Patrick Swayze , Sam Elliot, and Ben Gazzara (1989).  But then I think "Lethal Weapon" and "Die Hard" are excellent Christmas movies 😉

I’m also enjoying “Shogun”.  Rest up and get well soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"One Life" with Anthony Hopkins was pretty good. Just wrapping up its theatrical run so it should be on streaming services any day now.

"Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire" is fun. Kind of like "Afterlife" but the cast feels a bit too crowded at times.

9 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

Kind of like "Afterlife" but the cast feels a bit too crowded at times.

Is Afterlife a series that streaming? or is it the 2009 movie with Liam Neeson and Christina Ricci?

Never know what I'll find when I use the Google machine LOL

"Afterlife" is "Ghostbusters: Afterlife", the one from 2021 with Egon's daughter and grandkids continuing the original Ghostbusters story line. It's a good return to the original arc as opposed to the lousy all-women reboot because Hollywood gotta have gurl-pwr . . . 😞

The new Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire is a direct sequel to Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

Is Afterlife a series that streaming? or is it the 2009 movie with Liam Neeson and Christina Ricci?

Never know what I'll find when I use the Google machine LOL

I actually sat thru all of "Afterlife". Personally I saw no redeeming value in it. Wasted time. 

Could only look at Ricci's boobs for so long!

• Haha 1
On 3/26/2024 at 11:49 PM, Links2k said:

I just finished the first season of “3 Body Problem” on Netflix. It’s a very good sci-fi series.  I can’t wait for season 2.  

I love asking questions and discovering or having answers explained, so the pace of the series was fine for me. My wife also ask a lot of questions, but she wants immediate answers, so it was a hard no for her. 

I've found the awnser for my wife's constant questions during a movie...pretend to be asleep!

Sorry dear, but I haven't been watcing close enough to awnser that for you.

• Haha 1