Ammo Stash

What is you guys thoughts on the supposed ammo price increase after the 1 of the year? My bulk ammo places have sent ad saying it is going up because of the wars going on and the scarcity of gunpowder.

I have a good stash, but could use some practice 38 Spl and self-defense 38 Sp. It has been hard to come by, and expensive, until just lately. Just may purchase a few rounds of both after Monday. 

I am looking at Hornady Critical Defense + P, or Winchester Ranger T Bonded + P for SD ammo (250 rounds), and PMC 130 Gr RN for practice (1000 rounds). Never purchased much PMC ammo before. They have Magtech Ammo for the same price. Do you guys have any experience with either the Magtech or PMC? I have always purchased Winchester White Box practice ammo. It is kind of dirty after firing. 

I recently purchased 250 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty 147 Gr HP + P SD and 1000 rounds of Blazer 115 Gr RN Brass for practice for the 9 MM so I am good on that caliber with what I already have in my stash. 

Edited by pop pop
1 hour ago, pop pop said:

I am looking at Hornady Critical Defense + P, or Winchester Ranger T Bonded + P for SD ammo (250 rounds), and PMC 130 Gr RN for practice (1000 rounds). Never purchased much PMC ammo before. They have Magtech Ammo for the same price. Do you guys have any experience with either the Magtech or PMC? I have always purchased Winchester White Box practice ammo. It is kind of dirty after firing. 

I recently purchased 250 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty 147 Gr HP + P SD and 1000 rounds of Blazer 115 Gr RN Brass for practice for the 9 MM so I am good on that caliber with what I already have in my stash. 

I’ve shot about every brand they make in 9mm FMJ practice ammo. Don’t have anything to say bad of any of it. I shoot  Glocks in 9mm , so they eat about anything. I’d just as soon have steel case ammo as any.Academy sports has 250 round packs of Monark brass for $50 

I load my carry ammo

Edited by jeff43

I got a Dillon several years ago and I just figured I was supposed to use it. I have ammo cans in the pantry it got so bad. I slowed way down when primers got hard to find. The only problem is carry ammo. I don't carry hand loads in my handgun. I need a few cases of factory loads now. My fighting rifle does have hand loads, but if that comes out and I'm on the bang switch.....we are way past worrying about defending the use of hand loads in a court of law.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I doubt I’ll ever shoot half of what I have now.

Same here. I was actually thinking about selling some, until I remembered it’s an election year. My family and friends will come looking for me around the middle of summer.

48 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Yep. Long as I don’t have to move!

Same. I did a temporary move a year and a half ago.  I’m still trying to determine where to spend my latter years. I have the ammo and safes squared away, but I still haven’t unpacked all of my accessories. They’re overwhelming my workspace off the garage. I don’t even want to look at that pile of tubs and backpacks. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

I got a Dillon several years ago and I just figured I was supposed to use it. I have ammo cans in the pantry it got so bad. I slowed way down when primers got hard to find. The only problem is carry ammo. I don't carry hand loads in my handgun. I need a few cases of factory loads now. My fighting rifle does have hand loads, but if that comes out and I'm on the bang switch.....we are way past worrying about defending the use of hand loads in a court of law.

I figure if you have to shoot a POS , you’re screwed anyway. They will try to nail you anyway they can, if you’re using hand loads Or factory loads. I may be wrong , but just my way of thinking.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, jeff43 said:

I figure if you have to shoot a POS , you’re screwed anyway. They will try to nail you anyway they can, if you’re using hand loads Or factory loads. I may be wrong , but just my way of thinking.

I’ve heard that for decades, but have yet to see a real world trial that backs the assertion up.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jeff43 said:

I've heard my whole life that you need to carry a cheap gun because the police will take the gun if you shoot. A buddy just went through this a couple of years ago and the gun was only gone for about a week. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Yep. Long as I don’t have to move!

We had a house fire a few years back and all my guns/ammo had to come out of there before the crew would start repairs. That's the only time I ever cursed myself for having so much ammo.

• Sad 1

I've been getting those e-mails too. But remember, ammo companies aren't above using a good scare to sell stuff. I kinda doubt that there will be any kind of major shortage more than what we are already dealing with. 

I've got a good supply on hand. Really need to load up some of my less common cartridges like .45 Colt. But I have reloading supplies on hand too. Don't know what I'll do when the primers I have are gone. 🙄

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I've been getting those e-mails too. But remember, ammo companies aren't above using a good scare to sell stuff. I kinda doubt that there will be any kind of major shortage more than what we are already dealing with. 

I've got a good supply on hand. Really need to load up some of my less common cartridges like .45 Colt. But I have reloading supplies on hand too. Don't know what I'll do when the primers I have are gone. 🙄

Federal primers seem to be plentiful anywhere I’ve been lately.

34 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

I've heard my whole life that you need to carry a cheap gun because the police will take the gun if you shoot. A buddy just went through this a couple of years ago and the gun was only gone for about a week. 

I’d prefer a gun I’m confident in trusting my life to. Stuff can always be replaced.

• Like 3

Regardless of global and political issues, prices for everything increases at the first of every year.  That includes ammo, the components used to make ammo, the blasted cable bill, phone bill, etc., etc.

I haven’t bought a single bullet since Covid started… been through too many of these “panics” that I might have overdone it in years past when prices were tolerable.  😆

• Like 5

I've been through way too many "Panic Buying" "Hair on fire" media hyped periods to get caught up in this type of thing.

That said I joined Target Sports earlier this year after talking with my regular shooting buddy about it. We shoot together at least twice a week and both of us have been at it for decades.

We both handload the majority of rounds we shoot sans .22LR of course.

As reloading components have suffered not only inflationary increases but also competition demands in acquiring (we are already have seen 100% increase in the price of most powders and even more so in primers).  We too advantage of the Target Sports membership fee of $95.00/year (only I joined, he reciprocate next year) which has shipping included (they do charge tax). We've purchased enough 9mm and .22LR to way more than offset the initial $95.00 fee. And that 9mm usually runs at $0.24/round delivered (that's with tax included), but Black Friday saw it at $0.22/rd delivered.

Now that's not the $0.20/rd of 2019...but it's not 2019 and that's the reality of it.

Also with this membership I have ordered as little as 2 boxes of different make 12g slugs (sighting in the RDS on my Shockwave) or 2 different boxes of 9mm (New Republic and Geco) just to check them out, and they ship UPS with just the listed 8% discount price.

My Point? I want to save my primers and powder I purchased before COVID for loading my .38/.357 and .32 S&W Long or .32 H&R mag.

I realize 9mm is currently the most ubiquitous handgun caliber (and the one I shoot the most) but I have been shooting a lot of .38 spl and .32 S&W long the past couple of years. I could not afford to do that purchasing factory ammo.

FWIW My carry ammo is Factory, usually Federal HST purchased in bulk a few years back. I wouldn't hesitate to carry my handloads if that's all I had. I'm unaware of the ammo used being a significant issue in the outcome of a lawful self defense shooting...but that's not my wheelhouse.

We'll continue to see price creep in everything in our lives. Panic Buying hurts us all in the "gun culture". Unfortunately it's a cycle that just keeps repeating itself. No harm in prudent targeted purchasing though imho.

Just my $0.2 worth...

Edited by Jamie Jackson
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Buy a MG, then get back to me,

Eating ammo would be about the only thing I could accomplish with one. I see why people would like them. They just don’t interest me all that much.

I expect I’m just too tight to enjoy one.😁

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

I have a large amount of the older ammo, in my EDC ammo calibers, but am light on newer SD (last 5 years) ammo in 38 spl/357 Mag. Also the Self-defense ammo has been so high in price that I don't have an abundance of that, just adequate. So, I have decided to get 250 rounds of SD, for sure, and just think about 1000 of practice. Will do that today after church. That will put me into a condition that I will not be in need of any ammo in the near future. "Got to bite the bullet at some point in time, if you want to do the dance." As Josie Whales says, "Recon So" 

"Freedom Angles" Kool Johnny Rotten! 

Edited by pop pop
Posted (edited)

Went to Acadamy Sports and checked prices on ammo. Came home and ordered 250 rounds of Critical Defense 110 Gr +P FTX when I got home. They had 20 round boxes for 37.00 + per box at Acadamy. My online purchase form SG Ammo was 317.73 including tax for 250 rounds delivered. Big difference in price.

Edited to add; My stash is totally healthy and ready to withstand the oncoming price hikes.  

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1