Lubricants

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use BreakFree CLP. However I have read that if you use a bore cleaner like Hoppe's #9 and don't completely remove it before applying CLP that it will gum up. Maybe that is what has happened to people who've had negative experiences with it. It's all I currently have so not an issue for me.

• 1 month later...
Guest Bonedaddy

I've started using Carrol Shelby's Z-Max. It works really well and does what it says. It penetrates metal and lubes real good. So good that I put some in a pellet can to use when cleaning my pistols and it soaked right through the metal pellet can onto the table overnight. I can shoot 200 rds thru my Phoenix .22 and it wipes clean with a couple of dry patches and stays slick. It won't soak thru the hard chrome lining on the barrel of my Stoeger but still makes it clean easily. It's $20 a bottle but it goes a long way. It also hasn't hurt the finish of my guns and it handles the heat.

Edited by Bonedaddy
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been a very satisfied Militec user for a couple years. When I got my AR last month, I didn't hesitate to give it the Militec treatment. Then I ran into this on another forum:

Recognized HTML document

Basically, the DoD says it failed their tests and a Gun Zone writer did a rust test (but didn't apply per instructions) and Militec failed where CLP passed with flying colors. Now, even the mere mention of Militec in some "other" forums brings forth pure anger and disgust with the company now accused of being snake-oil salesmen. So the lube debate rages on.

• 3 weeks later...
To clean: Simple Green or non-chlorinated brake cleaner

To stash: Break Free CLP

To lube: cheap ass bearing grease

Amen to this! Moly grease is great stuff for slides and high wear parts. On other guns I use a 50/50 of ATF and Mobil 1.

Have been using for many years and have saved lots of money typically spent on gimmicy gun lubes to buy other things.

Slide glide for parts that experience sliding or shear forces, cheap old No. 9 oil in springs / other rotational parts. Slide Glide is very affordable - if you haven't tried it, put it in the rotation next time you run out of your regular grease.

I agree and highly recommended for Sig rails!!!!! COOP

Slide-Glide is available in three viscosities, and in tubs (pictured) and tubes:

Slide-Glide Lite (thin viscosity)b.sg1.100.jpg

Applications:

• 30+ degrees F
  • All Firearms:

• Centerfire Pistols: Non-compensated & Compensated
    • Rifles: All action types (including Lever Actions)
    • Shotguns: All action types
    • Revolvers (Internal action parts only - not for the cylinder)
    • .22's
    • "Carry Guns" Applied extremely sparingly for maximum reliability

Guest Bretticus

Mil-Comm TW-25B. Buy in bulk. I don't know what is in it, but it lasts, and it doesn't go everywhere like regular gun oil. Supposedly, it stays on the metal longer.

I agree and highly recommended for Sig rails!!!!! COOP

Slide-Glide is available in three viscosities, and in tubs (pictured) and tubes:

Slide-Glide Lite (thin viscosity)b.sg1.100.jpg

Applications:

• 30+ degrees F
  • All Firearms:
    • Centerfire Pistols: Non-compensated & Compensated
    • Rifles: All action types (including Lever Actions)
    • Shotguns: All action types
    • Revolvers (Internal action parts only - not for the cylinder)
    • .22's
    • "Carry Guns" Applied extremely sparingly for maximum reliability

+1 for slide glide. Shooters Choice works well on Sig rails too. Sig forum has a good read on lubricating Sigs, Perhaps thats the one Coop was talking about earlier.

Guest Andyxd

This may sound silly but to each his own. I use automatic transmission fluid on all my slides. It holds up under high temps and coats the metals great. I heard about using this a while back and since I work at a Transmiision facility, I brought some home to try. Just my .02 and glad to be a part of a great Tennessee forum.