[Help] I need to buy a GPS

I want to buy a portable (I’ll be using it in more than one vehicle) GPS.

I briefly checked them out at Best buy. It seems to me Garmin is the most popular. But they have about 20 different models from $85 to $800.

Price is not a big issue I have about $300-$400 budgeted. (Just a random number I pulled out of the blue)

But even in that ranger there are a lot of models. I don’t want to pay $400 if an $85 unit will do the same thing.

Other than the size of the screen and the ability to find stuff what else is there? :grouchy:

What do you guys use?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally bought a Garmin Nuvi (285 model, I think) and my company bought the Nuvi 205 for our work trucks. The 205 does everything that my 285 does, except for the traffic warnings; and I found that useless on my 285 anyway. It would warn me about traffic 20 miles away, and by the time I had gotten there it was clear; but the GPS said it was still messed up.

Beware of buying from an electronics store. I haggled in the store and got my GPS with lifetime updates for $200.00, then found it noticeably cheaper online.

I'd also advise against buying the lifetime updates. It seemed like a good idea at the time, because a map update can cost $60.00 or more by itself. However, they only update the maps for a particular area every few years. At the rate electronics technology changes, by the time the maps for the places you go are updated you'll be able to get a brand new unit with better features for a very reasonable price. That's my theory, anyway. If I had it to do over, I would not have bought the unit with lifetime updates included.

I bought the Garmin Nuve 255W a couple of weeks ago at Electronics Exp. Factory reconditioned, same warranty as new. Cost was $99. I used it a lot going to Charlotte and Pigeon Forge last week. Great piece of equipment.

I got a referbished Garmin Nuvi on eBay. I can't remember the model number. I would go with the wide screen model though. The Garmins are easier to use than the other brands out there.

Most of the higher-end ones have maps from other countries, so unless you pkan to take it to Europe or South America you don't need to pay for that crap.

If you go to Dell.com and select a few models that interest you, they have a comparison function that I found useful when selecting mine a couple of years ago. It kept my from over-buying.

Guest Verbal Kint

+1 on Garmin (over the other brands, as I've tried them all), and the Nuvi widescreen models.

Would have to look to see which model I have, but picked it up at BestBuy about 2 yrs ago. Thing has come in handy in more than one occasion. I always have mine turned on in the car, sitting on the dash, whether I really use it or not.

Think I paid in the $250-350 range at that time and has been well worth the money.

My wife and I both have the Tom Tom XL 325. 88.00 at Wal Mart online on sale. They have spoken word turn by turn and US and Canada. They have a big screen 4.5. We have traveled all over the SE. I travel in the military the entire SE. It has not led me astray. others that are with me have Garmins and they have not been correct all the time.

As with anything I guess you pay for what you get. I feel this unit is a bargin. Also this is our first GPS.

My wife and I have the tom tom 430XL (not the s model).

After having a magellian, a mio, and whatever is built into my dvd/radio that I bought (the gps is junk, no street address, just street names) and this Tom Tom, I would buy a tom tom over anything else I have used.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and LOVE it. I would shop around though I know there are better models out there and at a good price. Tom Tom's are also nice. Can't go wrong with either of them. I also have the inland lake maps on my Garmin so I take it fishing with me. Shows depth, channel, bouys, marinas, and a bunch of other things as well.

My wife has a built in OEM installed GPS in her honda accord that I absolutely loathe. Map updates are almost 200 bucks and still don't have local roads that have been in existence for over 7 years. I won't start ranting about what I hate about it cause this will be a three page post.

Also have a Garmin Zumo 550 that I use on my motorcycle and trucks ... came with the two different mounts. It is water resistant and has survived many a downpour on the bike.

In my work truck I have a Nuvi that was a demo model obtained from a going out of business sale. Again, very satisfied with it.

I find the Garmins have brighter screens and better maps.

The Magellan does have some nice features but not enough to swing me over to them.

Dave:____________

Just bought one myself. I like the Gramin stuff, but it is all good. I bought a Garmin Nuvi 1350.

Check out this link: Tiger GPS - Dealer for Garmin GPS, Magellan GPS, TomTom GPS, Lowrance GPS

I like these guys; quick service, fair price. Bought a handheld with topo from them a year or two ago. By the way, the Nuvi was on sale at Walmart of all places. Closeout at $175.00 plus tax.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Leroy

Guest Glock23ForMe

I recently purchased a Magellan Maestro 4700 (Maestro Series)

I chose this because I'm not really a (car GPS) Garmin fan. :eek: I have hundreds of hours of Garmins in aircraft and love them for that, but I don't really want one in my car.

Some options I look for in a GPS:

Will it read road names?

I.E. = Instead of saying "Right turn in 0.5 miles" it will say "Right turn on 2nd Avenue in 0.5 Miles"

I like this function because it makes it a little easier in unfamiliar places and places with a lot of right turns in 0.5 miles.

Is it voice activated?

Highway Lane Assist?

I'm not sure if this is exclusive to the Magellan series, but I love it. When you're in a busy and merge-crazy city it makes it seamless.. It pops up on the screen and shows you the merge signs and will help you choose what lane you need to be in. It also does this with exits on interstates.

Bluetooth?

Make phone calls and receive phone calls through it.

All in all its a pretty amazing GPS. They retail for $249-299, however I purchased mine off of Amazon.com and got it for $166.16 plus shipping.

I have already looked and Amazon has these for $162.84 right now and they're brand new. Awesome GPS at an awesome price.

Amazon.com: Magellan Maestro 4700 4.7-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator: Electronics

Guest GimpyLeg

Garmin Nuvi 755t. Updated base software that I find very useful. Bought it from Amazon plus a few accessories (I don't like sticking it to my windshield).

Guest db99wj

I had the Garmin for Palm for the last several years, and it was great. Got rid of the Palm, have the iphone. Looks like Tom Tom has an app for around $70and you can buy their docking station that attaches to the windshield, has a GPS booster for @ $100.

I have heard good things about CoPilot so I downloaded, so far, one short trip, so good. It was only $20 but has a lot of the same features as a stand alone. Only problem, can't, that I know of, listen to internet radio on the iphone and run the gps at the same time.