Is concealed carry in places of worship legal in Tennessee?

I've seen multiple user's on forums posting that it is legal to carry in churches or "places of worship" in Tennessee; however, I am not able to find anything to back that up besides seeing posts about it.

Do any documents exist stating it is okay for people with Tennessee handgun carry permits to carry in places of worship or is it that someone can carry because there are not documents which state he or she cannot?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless there is a school attached or is posted you are fine. I carry every Sunday and teach a Sunday school class with kids. I really don't know if you will find it written anywhere. If so they would have to list every place you could carry. It doesn't say anywhere you can't. So good enough for me. Many pastors I talk to carry as well.

Guest Glock23ForMe

It's legal. I have some buddies that thought it wasn't.. Lets say about after an hour of a TCA refresher on where you can and cannot carry, they now know it's not illegal.

Our worship leader at church carried... Everytime

I've seen multiple user's on forums posting that it is legal to carry in churches or "places of worship" in Tennessee; however, I am not able to find anything to back that up besides seeing posts about it.

Do any documents exist stating it is okay for people with Tennessee handgun carry permits to carry in places of worship or is it that someone can carry because there are not documents which state he or she cannot?

No documents because it's not on the list of places we can't carry... It's just like any other public business... unless posted or on school grounds carry if legal.

This is no law that says you cannot carry in a church, specifically. Laws only tell you what you can't do, not what you can. :cool:

If your pasture (like they say here in ET) says no, if you are bold enough to ask, then don't. Otherwise, get right every Sunday strapped. B)

why would you carry in a church?

Believe it or not, church's have a fairly large amount of attempted robberies. Lots of auto theft etc, Idiots who think church's don't use banks and are soft targets, audio visual equipment being stolen, people who are just off, copper theft. I could go on about the number of threats I have received (12 yrs of ministry) from husbands and boyfriends who didn't like the idea their families were being counciled and helped. I've been threatened by homeless folks and one mass murderer who we had previously helped. I could go on, but justification is irrelevant. Churchs are no different than any other place. If you think God puts a anti-bad things forcefield around church's you are mistaken. They are more like a magnet. Why do you think the pope has his own standing army :P

It is legal.

There really isn't anything to show that it is....just that there is no law against it. See http://www.michie.com/tennessee

Guest Ae-35

A church less than 50 miles from mine( in NC ) was robbed durning Sunday morning service, by 2 "pill-freaks" , they were both armed, the driver was caught here , and one in Kingsport Tn. Now there's always at least 2 of us pack'n at every service. Just the way life is now.

Guest 270win

There is no law against carrying in a church in Tennessee.

You are not supposed to carry in a church in Arkansas on a license.

About the only way you can carry in a church in Arkansas 'legally' is when 'on a journey' or if it is your 'place of business'. You do have to conceal in Arkansas...so if someone can see your gun..well you've already messed up.

I keep saying it, Church and Guns are protected by the First and Second Ammendments of our Constitution. Give up one freedom, and next you'll be giving up the other.

If you love the right to go to Church, then you better love the right to carry a gun there too.

I carry every weekend to church, and the pastors know I do too. We have uniformed officers that patrol and assist with traffic (big church) and they have seen me carrying. They just wink and smile.

Guest friesepferd

you most certainly can and should. no law in TN that says you can't.

other states do have such a law, but thankfully not us.

Church is actually the place I feel least safe in. Well, church, and Memphis. :crazy: Besides the lack of physical security in most (multiple entrances, unmanned doors, etc), you have the stuff Smith mentioned. Especially the family counseling stuff. People get crazy when they think a church is taking a spouse's side of an argument over theirs. My church had a shooting about 25 years ago. It was a domestic dispute that spilled over. Church was a primary driver for me getting an HCP.

A church my friend and parents attend here in Nashville had voting booths set up one election, I believe it was the Bush v Kerry race. The minister recieved several threatening phone calls that day going on and on about seperation of church and state even though nobody was doing anything wrong. Needless to say the unarmed minister had gotten somewhat nervous. My friend, who did the lawn work for the church was dropping off his bill, accidently snuck up on the minister, and the minister punched him in the face before he realized who it was.