Ruger LCR - .357!!

Guest WTDeBerry

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you decide to shoot 38's in a 357, make sure that you clean the cylinder VERY good after shooting. since the 38 is shorter you will get a ring inside the cylinder that will not allow you to put 357 back in, or if you get it in it will be very hard to get out. found this out the hard way on a pistol my father had, shot 38 to save money, never very good at cleaning his guns. BTW looked at the Ruger LCR at Austins yesterday,.,.,.,.,..,.,.VERY SWEET

I'd suggest you find a friend (or rental) with a snub and fire some 357 out of it before you buy one. The flash and recoil are just painful coming from a small/lightweight package.

The 357 almost certainly has some small edge in terms of overall energy, but I'm not convinced there is much much difference in a close range practical situation.

Edited by Buzz

If you have strong hands, and good grips, and only 5 shots available, why not? I've put 50 full power 125gr 357Magnum HPs through my S&W 340PD so far. Personally, I'd like to see how well the LCRs hold up to Magnum loads before putting one in my pocket, but the price makes them extremely attractive.

Surely something or other is beefed up some in the .357 model besides just the cylinder?

I shot an LCR for first time today, just .38 WWB, not even +p. Can't quite fathom full load .357 through exact same frame.

Really liked it, btw, was quite accurate with it (for me, anyway).

- OS

Guest trumpettgriffin

I haven't graduated to carrying .357s yet but I have a 3 inch barrel Smith m60 (all steel). The full power .357s are gonna take some more practice before I load up with them--accuracy of rapid follow-ups is a challenge. Furthermore they still sting in my gun - wouldn't want anything lighter with them.

Interesting. For a .357 pocket I usually carry a S&W 649 (and usually with .38+p). The extra weight of the stainless steel makes it relatively easy to handle & fire. I'd hate to think what it feels like out of something that light. But for only $50 more I'd probably get the .357 version anyway, since it makes it that much more versatile.

I've got the LCR in .38, with +p it has a pretty stout recoil and it weighs in @ 13oz. The .357 LCR is black stainless @ 17oz. Not sure that extra 4oz is going to make much difference with full house .357 loads.

I agree with BryanP, the .357 chamber does give you more options, which is why I like my SP101 so much.

Guest WTDeBerry

Very interesting replies. That is basically where I was hoping/assuming this thread would go - weight vs. recoil. Keep them coming, I always like seeing everyone's opinions on a given item. It just goes to show how much and why there is so much versatility in the world of firearms.

WTDeBerry

In my opinion if im very close to someone i want a slower round,not one fast enough that there may be a chance of my hollow points not expanding.Yea, i know im not a ballistics expert.