TN permit holders vs those who actually carry

Guest DMasterson

I carry when I can, but I've always managed to be employed in places that are restricted carry.

I used to work in an emergency room in Texas which was posted and since I didn't want to leave it in my truck to get stolen, most of the work week was spent not carrying. One day while driving home from work, I was pulled over for speeding. When I handed over my DL and CHL, I told the officer that I was a concealed handgun license holder but I didn't have my weapon on me, he looked at me with a totally confused look and asked, "Why the hell not? This little piece of plastic doesn't do you any good by itself?!". I had to laugh and explained my situation to him. He just shook his head sadly and let me go with a warning.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guy N. Cognito
I don't look down on them necessarily but it is frustrating. Why bother going through all the hassle of getting your permit and paying for the class if you are never going to carry?

It's their choice to waste their own time.

Why get frustrated over something that doesn't affect you?

Erik, I have a permit, and don't regularly carry. I do carry sometimes. I really like guns, but don't feel in peril everywhere I go. I got a permit for the one odd occasion where I might have a gun on my person and asked about it by an LEO. As far as reality goes, I've nevere needed to shoot anyone, and know very few who have. I don't frequent places where trouble is a common occurance. I also attended the class because my wife didn't want to take it alone. She never leaves the house without her S&W. I usually have pretty quick access to a gun, but don't walk around everywhere with one on me. I'm proud for anyone who does, but I just don't find it comfortable.

It's their choice to waste their own time.

Why get frustrated over something that doesn't affect you?

I'm not trying to argue with you. I just wonder why people get their permit if they have no desire to ever carry. I was hoping someone could provide some insight. Maybe there are other benefits to having a permit that I don't know about??

I think people have good intentions when they get a permit, but having said that most prolly dont pay enough attention to everything that goes into carry. Imo if your system for carry sucks you wont carry. The permit is the easy part but finding a good holster / belt / the correct gun ( for me suspenders ) is sooo important and overlooked. Not to mention having the correct mindset, that its not cool to carry its just necessary. I think your right on the money with 20-30% of people actually carrying.

Guest Halfpint
It is inconvenient.
I think this says more about people than we realize. "Hmm, I don't want to deal with having to clean a gun once a month, or even occasionally practice with it. And let's face it, that 6-7 oz. Keltec or Ruger .380 just weighs me down so much."

Personally, getting robbed, beaten half (or completely) to death, shot, stabbed, etc is one hell of a lot more inconvenient to me. A lot of people have that mindset "Oh, it will never happen to me. (Insert reason why -here- . . . ) ." I don't carry a pistol because I think/expect -it- will happen to me or those I care about. I carry a gun in the unlikely event that it does.

Not picking on you, Guy, you were just the first I noticed to admit -- and you're right, it is -- that some people don't carry because it's inconvenient.

I try not to ever leave my carry weapon at home,as like a lot of others,I feel if I am going thru the motions and expense of the permit,also keeping up with the new laws,I dang sure am going to have a piece with me whenever possible.Now if for some odd reason I cant take a pistol with me it makes me a little nervous with out it.I although purposely do NOT visit any business or areas that are firearm restricted,that includes restaurants or stores of any kind or nature.I also would place my percentage of being armed at 95%.

Not all of us pay attention to company policy regarding firearms in vehicles on company property.

Some didn't pay attention until they were officially counseled. Now they do pay attention. Since my company property is Federal property and the only other parking area is a school I am left with no option other than to not carry a firearm. A knife seems to bother no one though. Go figure.

I don't look down on them necessarily but it is frustrating. Why bother going through all the hassle of getting your permit and paying for the class if you are never going to carry?

Well I would say the percentage that "never" carry is very, very low 1-2%.

My guess that the rest of 70-80% who don't carry regularly got their permit so as to be legal when they do choose to carry. I know one guy who only take his when he goes out of town. My guess is because he feels "comfortable" around our hometown and only wants it with him when/if he may go somewhere where they could be a threat. Is that somewhat naive? Maybe, but that is his choice.

I also think that it may be that many don't know the law as you point out. Their not sure where it is legal and not legal to carry. I've had my permit for about 13 years and for the first 4-5 I did not carry regularly. That was because that the time 39-17-1359 allowed a property owner to simply "announce" that they prohibited carry. What announce meant was never defined. So I thought it could be possible a place "announced" at an earlier date, me not know it, walk in and be illegal. Also didn't understand that even if I was carrying illegally that it didn't necessarily mean I'd be whisked off to jail, no questions asked or no request to leave first.

Anyway....didn't mean to ramble.

One thing I'm curious about to is the percentage of people that carry and/or keep one in their vehicle that don't have a permit.....know a few of those too.

Guest TargetShooter84

I have a permit and will admit I don't carry everyday. Its because work prohibits it so I just leave it in the car in the lockbox most of the time, out of sight.

Often, I'll carry when going to range or someplace I'm not entirely too comfortable like East Knoxville, for example.

Just like others said, its kinda hard to have to take it off when you're going to non-gun friendly places and wear it again when you're out of there, just not what I want....I prefer to keep it on all the time...Concealed, that is.

I carry everyday and everytime I am more than a few feet from my house. I walk to the mailbox with a firearm. I go to the store with a firearm. I carry a full size 1911 and before that a G17. I feel comfortable with both and have no complaints other than the occasional poke when I get into a vehicle.

The reason I carry is mostly because my brother has tried to kill my family and I twice. The most recent was almost a year ago. He is a long time drug user and has supposed mental problems but that is up for debate because he only acts out with people that coddle him. He got upset when I refused to give him any more cash. I told him I would buy him whatever he needed but no more cash. Then he got really upset when I contacted LE after my father called me saying my brother was holding him at shotgun point. Because I contacted LE my brother felt he needed to kill my family and I. According to dispatch, when they called me, he had said he was armed and heading to my house afterassaulting our mother. I had LE as well as a SWAT team guarding my house until they tracked him down and when they did he was in fact in possession of an AK47. My brother has started to tell everyone again that he is going to kill us so it is just a matter of time before he tries again. I have total strangers come up and warn me. I can only be so prepared and we have modified the way we live to accomodate the threat.

And for those that will ask, the reason why he hasn't been put in jail is because of his supposed mental status. They put him in Lakshore or Pennisula for a few weeks then declare him stable and release him.

For me carrying everywhere is very important for both my family and I. And the one day I did go without a firearm I felt helpless.

Dolomite

I don't carry all the time, especially in the summer months. I always have a loaded weapon or two (or five) within reach when I'm at home. I always carry when I feel that there's an elevated risk of needing it. Frankly, I've done that for 30 years.

Unfortunately, with the current laws, there are just too many exceptions in my world to make sure I have a gun strapped on every minute of the day. I carry when I can, but I'm not gonna lose my job over it. I'm also not going to lose my permit because I've had a beer or two. When I really need one, I have it, except in Illinois.

I carry pretty much all the time, especially going into Memphis. The only places I don't carry in Tennessee are courtrooms during court, schools, well you get the picture. I live outside Memphis in a suburban city that is pretty safe. I've heard enough stories of old coworkers or coworkers of my spouse that have had very bad encounters (violent felony type) in Memphis that I will not go without a gun anywhere in that city. I think it is sad that Memphis is that bad that you can't go about your business without a gun in your pocket.

The town I live in I will walk in my neighborhood without my revolver or leave my gun in the car when running quick errands in town like going to the drycleaners or grabbing a snack sometimes if I haven't had to go to Memphis.

I think most people in rural areas get licenses or permits to keep handguns in cars or to carry handguns when they go to town or big cities where crime is higher.

Some prob got it cause Obama was coming into office and wanted to go ahead and have it in case he stopped them. Mine on the other hand is like my Mastercard and I never leave home without it.

Honestly, it's something I put off until Obama showed up. It went from my list of things to do (was on there for years) to gotta do it now.

The two guys who took my class with me don't carry. One of them tried but never got past the first few days. The other was given a 9mm Hi Point by his dad and it killed his spirit so much that he gave up.

I would bet that less than 15% of people who have their permits carry at least once a month. It takes about three weeks to make a habit out of doing something, most won't carry enough at the beginning to form the habit.

I'm curious how many permit holders in TN actually carry on a regular basis. Last time I saw the numbers there were nearly 300,000 permit holders in TN( I think) and I would bet that only a very small number actually carry.

My dad has his permit but has yet to carry one time other than when we go hiking. He will carry it in his car but not on his person.

My manager at work has her permit but I don't think she has ever carried. Most of the other permit holders I've met don't carry either.

What is more disturbing, is that the majority of permit holders I've met have no idea what the recent law changes have been which to me is very irresponsible.

So why do you think so many people get there permit and then never carry? Is it wrong for me to say it's a little frustrating? I personally think the more legally armed people we have on the streets the better. So when I meet permit holders that never carry it does bother me a little.

What are your guys predictions? I would bet that only 20-30% of permit holders in TN actually carry on a regular basis. Maybe I'm way off but that's my guess.

I think the majority of us on TGO are a rare breed.

I'm more frustrated that people only carry one gun around. I mean, all that hassle and money that legally armed citizens go through, they can at least have a back up, no? :P