Hammer vs Hammerless Revolvers

Glock30

What is your choice in revolver?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What is your choice in revolver?

I'm contemplating a wheel gun and am looking for the pros and cons of hammer vs hammerless revolvers.. say a S&W 637 vs S&W 642. It may be occasionally used as a carry piece, but I generally carry a semi-automatic.

All thoughts and insights are appreciated!

Edited by Glock30
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus for the 637 -- you can shoot it single-action. Maybe improve your accuracy at the range, etc. The wife gave up her Taurus 709 slim for one.

(Dang it --- the one she gave the Slim up for was MINE!!!!!!!!!!)

Plus for the 642 -- no hammer to get hung up or tangled with your clothing, etc. My son planned on buying a 642, but after shooting the wife's 637,

he's done gone and got him one ... ... (he took the replacement I bought for myself) ... ... now, if I can just find another one for ME --- or maybe I'll

just hunt for a 642 and hope they like that hammer more than they like the hammerless.)

My opinion? Personal choice. Try 'em both, get what suits you best. (Or get 'em both, and have a good time trying to figure out what fits you best.)

Guest Sgt. Joe

My only current revolver was a gift and is hammerless, it is an SP-101 and I like it a lot.

But since I dont and can not forsee a need to ever carry it and I am not that good with DA triggers, I do kinda wish it had a hammer, but since it was a gift I wont ever trade or sell it.

Given that I voted hammer.

And one day I may well even buy myself a nice wheel gun with a hammer.

Guest Aces&8s

I went with hammerless. If I ever have to use a gun in SD, I probably will not have time to thumb back the hammer, anyway. The hammer adds that slight possibility of snagging on the draw, too. When I train with my SD guns, I do so in the manner that I will most likely have to use it (ie., double-action), so I do not see the need for an external hammer.

Since I prefer single-action revolvers, it's kind'a difficult to get along without the hammer...

However, I can get along just fine with a DA trigger pull, if that's what the particular gun has.

Still, I like the hammer. The gun just don't look right without it.

No brainer here. Hammerless for defense. For hunting or plinking or range the hammer is a bit more accurate. In the right hands with the right gun though the hammer is very little more accurate.

Still, I like the hammer. The gun just don't look right without it.

This.

Also, the way I see it, you can shoot a DA revolver with a hammer in all the same ways that you can shoot a hammerless but you can't shoot a hammerless in all the ways you can shoot one that has a hammer.

That said, the only revolver I pocket carry is my NAA mini which, being SA, has a hammer. In practicing drawing I haven't had any trouble with the hammer snagging. The only way I carry a larger revolver is OWB (or maybe in a shoulder holster) where snagging isn't so much of an issue.

There is a third option which you didn't include in the poll - revolvers that have a shrouded hammer which can still be fired single action if you want. If I were looking for a revolver to pocket carry, that is probably the direction I would lean. That way I could have the snagless advantage of a hammerless while not giving up the ability to fire single action if I want.