What is your thoughs on the new Smith &Wesson bodyguard .380

Guest usmcgriff

Guest usmcgriff

Just picked one up and i like it. did not much care for the price. but a nice gun.. but it is just another kel-tec rip off with all the bells and whistles. and to be honest did not shoot as well as my Kel-Tec.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have one of those. Nice little gun. It only has one more switch or button than any other gun.....and that's the safety. Unless you want to count the power switch for the laser. It is my wife's carry and she easily shoots 6 inch groups at 30ft with it using the iron sites. No problems at all so far. Being a 6+1 a spare mag is in order.

• Administrator
I have an LCP with a laser. My hope is that with the laser the BG will sense he is in danger and back off, before it gets nasty. I practice with the laser, iron sights and point and shoot.

If you find yourself in a self-defense situation chances are you'll be aware of it when the "BG" is within conversation distance. He's not going to be paying attention to your laser sight enough for it to be a deterrent. Further, there won't likely be enough time for it to register as a deterrent in the first place, and your firearm shouldn't be out of its holster for deterrent purposes anyway.

The purpose of the laser sight is to augment your ability to put rounds on target without having to rely on your iron sights. Your LCP is a "get off me" gun, which means that if you're using it you are in a desperate fight for your life trying to get someone's ass off of you. You might be on your back, you might be hunched over from having been stabbed, you may be taking blows to the head and shoulders from an iron pipe... or any other manner of really bad situations where you've got a few seconds left to either live or die.

In those situations, it may be impossible to use your iron sights so the laser dot may be your only effective way of putting rounds where they count.

Just saying.

Guest peacexxl

RULE #2: Never point your gun at anything you don't want to kill or destroy.

i like the looks and feel of it. but went with the new bodyguard 38. plus the cat loves the laser

I'd say this is an acceptable use. :)

I was In Eastside las week and checked out the Bodyguard 380. Personally, I didn't care for it. Hated the laser activation button, and really wasn't impressed with the trigger either. John showed my an LCR as a comparison for size...Guess what? Yeah...I bought it. Fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Felt great in my hands. Had a natural easy feel to pick up and have a good sight picture without shifting my grip around. Haven't shot it yet, I hope to take it out this week sometime.

From the one we had in the store and the distributor stories the revolver version is due for a recall. I much prefer the LCP or P3AT with a Crimson Trace over the BG. I don't understand having to reach up to activate the BG laser when speed is greatly enhanced with the Crimson Trace. Add to it that the CT is removeable and replaceable where the BG is integral and I doubt there will be much after purchase support and the LCP/P3AT is a much better value. FYI the BG has a lifetime warranty but the laser is only one year.

Both felt cheaply made ( BG 380 and BG 38 ), If this is the direction Smith is going ,and not just some fluke type tend , they will be in big trouble, and soon !!!

i was excited about the .380 until i handle one at Academy. one of the biggest selling points for me was the integrated laser, but the activation button was so stiff, i had to use two hands to press the button. that, to me, defeats the purpose of a very close quarters style pocket gun. i'd rather get the lcp or P238 and buy crimson trace even though it's more expensive.

Guest highvoltage

what problems are they having with the bg 38 that they might recall it. if you don't mind me asking?. so far mine has been great. hope it stays that way

• Administrator
i was excited about the .380 until i handle one at Academy. one of the biggest selling points for me was the integrated laser, but the activation button was so stiff, i had to use two hands to press the button. that, to me, defeats the purpose of a very close quarters style pocket gun. i'd rather get the lcp or P238 and buy crimson trace even though it's more expensive.

The BG 380 that I handled didn't present any problems on the laser activation button, but I admit that it is in a really stupid place for a pocket gun. Someone at S&W or CT just wasn't thinking very clearly when they designed that.

The rest of the ergonomics are really, really good on the gun however. And I'm guessing an industrious person could probably remove the external safety if they so desired and have a really simple firearm as a result.