IWB vs. OWB

IWB vs. OWB  

111 members have voted

1. 1. IWB vs. OWB

• IWB
    • OWB

I am looking to get a carry holster for my first ccw and I can't decide which one would be better for me...I have been researching on both and people say that IWB are not very comfortable at all...So what I'm wondering is how concealable is an OWB holster? I wear my shirts untucked and usually my clothes are a little big...So what are your guys input?

Thanks,

Coty

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are trying to iwb carry with the same pants you wore before you carried then, yeah, I can see how that might be uncomfortable.

Some guys are worse than a woman when it comes to what "size" they wear.

"I do NOT wear 38's, I'm a 34 and have been since high school." I think there was even a Seinfeld episode about it.

Anyway,

If your pants aren't too tight to begin with you'll be fine with IWB. I feel it offers another level of protection. Not only is the gun in a holster, it's inside my jeans too.

I voted IWB but that is just my opinion. There are several great stores in your area, go to some and try a few different holsters.

What stores are you talking about? THe only decent one is mahoney's and idk if they carry anything like that...

Sorry, but we all had to learn which was best the hard way - spending some $$. If you somehow get around that, I'll feel cheated.....

That said, I find that a pancake holster is the easiest to conceal of all the OWB styles. But it's worthless without a good quality gun belt.

My pants are loose so I don't think it would be a big deal...I'm just wondering how concealable is an OWB holster...

A LOT of that depends on what weapon you're carrying and choice of clothing. What's your carry weapon? I voted OWB, as that is my personal choice about 90% of the time.

If you wear your shirt un-tucked with loose fitting clothing, you will easily conceal either way. I have carried both, and for my dress style, IWB conceals better. I had some problem with my shirt coming showing the end of the gun which would be in your pants with IWB. If I am not going to be active or if I am wearing a jacket, I do still carry OWB at times. I think either way you go, you will be fine. You will probably be like to rest of us and end up with a draw full of holsters anyway.

The masses pay far less attention than you think, they're too busy texting. If you're carrying something smaller than a bazooka, no one will notice.

As stated, IWB generally requires some wardrobe adjustments, 2" larger waist pants is typical. IWB is typically better concealed, but an OWB can also be easily concealed. It'll vary by time of year too. In the winter, it's easy to conceal a big gun OWB. In the summer, not so much.

Guest tnfireman
What stores are you talking about? THe only decent one is mahoney's and idk if they carry anything like that...

Eagle arms and ammo

Gun rack

are two in Kingsport that I had dealings with when I lived up that way.

Gunrunners is in Blountville

not to mention there are several holster makers on this forum, a couple are somewhat close to your area...I think...

I, on the other hand, carry almost exclusively IWB. Almost all of my IWB holsters, and I'm embarrassed about how many I have, are tuckable. They are pretty concealable no matter how you dress, depending upon the pistol you are trying to conceal.

...I'm just wondering how concealable is an OWB holster...

I guess that depends on your body type, etc. I took these pics to demonstrate to a member on another forum that a medium framed revolver with a four inch barrel (in this case, my Taurus 66 - which I must admit I don't carry very often, this was just for demonstration purposes) could be concealed OWB even in a cheap FOBUS and even in warm weather clothing (denim shorts and tank top with untucked/unbuttoned Hawaiian shirt as a cover garment):

Image1.jpg

Here is what I had on me/in my pockets in that picture:

Image5.jpg

If you are cc'ing a Glock you owe it to yourself to try out the Glock sport/combat owb holster. They are like $15 and ugly, but they work freakin awesome. It will hold your Glock high, tight, easy to conceal, and very secure. I have several much more expensive holsters and I'm surprised how much I use the cheapest holster I own.

IWB. Depending on the situation, obviously, but for daily carry it's IWB. I'm a fairly small fellow at 1.72 m and about 75 kg, so OWB is rather difficult to conceal.

I have a couple of these for my bigger pistols. One for a 1911, and one for a CZ P01. IWB is better for concealment, but these work well with a cover garment or jacket. Galco concealable.

Concealable.jpg

I have one of these too. It is well-crafted, comfy, and looks nice but doesn't conceal anywhere nearly as well as this:

Glock Sport and Combat Holster Ambidextrous 17, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 Polymer Black - MidwayUSA

I said it in an earlier post but the Glock brand OWB is the only cheap holster I've tried that I feel secures the weapon well and it very simply conceals better than I ever thought possbile for an OWB. it holds the gun so high that it conceals almost as well as an IWB. The Galco shown above is slightly more comfy buy I only wear it if I pretty much know I'm not going to be taking my sport coat off. The Glock OWB, on the other hand, can be worn under an untucked shirt, almost like one of my IWB setups. I have both a CrossBreed Supertuck and Galco Summer Comfort Horsehide IWB. The ST is more concealable but the Galco is slightly more comfy if I'm wearing loose pants. The fact that the ST holds the gun a little closer makes it slightly less comfy if I'm sitting at my desk or driving. Sometimes, however, I want to wear some size 30s and the IWB just doesn't work for them. For me IWB vs OWB just depends on what I'm wearing, where I'm going and how concealed I need or want to be that day. My most concealable holster is my Supertuck and if I'm going to a formal event I scale back to my G26 and it simply disappears (even bending down etc...). If I were just starting out carrying a G19, which is what I carry most BTW, I would get the Glock holster first as it is an awesome bang for the buck and is very concealable if you don't tuck your shirt in.