Armadillos all over Middle and West Tennessee

I was traveling through several middle and west Tn counties today , at least 8 , and I saw 16 separate dead armadillos. I started noticing them in Tennessee around 5 yrs ago and now they are everywhere it seems.

Also some TWRA guys I know said that they are carriers of the Leporacy disease .

Anyone else notice these little armor plated opposums all over TN ?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR

I've seen dead ones as close as Montgomery/Dickson County line on Hwy 48.

Bruceton/ Camden/New Johnsonville area is full of them. Live and roadkill alike.

• Admin Team

I remember hiking as a kid on Cumberland Island in south Georgia and meeting a guy whose job it was to drive around the island in a truck and shoot them on sight with a bolt action .22mag. We saw him every day for a week and the back of his truck was full every time.

That was the first place I ever got chased by a hog, too.

I remember seeing them dead along the roads in eastern Mississippi and even slightly into western Tennessee when I would go on trips with my dad (he was a long haul truck driver at the time) when I was in my early teens. That was nearly thirty years ago and I specifically remember seeing them because armadillos seemed so 'exotic' to me.

More recently, we've also noticed them - again, dead along the roads - when driving to Florida or parts of Alabama down near the gulf for vacation. Just this last May, however, we noticed (to the point that my wife commented about it to me) that there seemed to be many more dead armadillos along the highways than we had ever noticed, before and that they seemed to be ranging much further north than we had noticed previously - almost to the northern Alabama line.

I remember in my zooarchaeology class at UT back in the mid 1990s the professor used armadillos as an example of climate and physical adaptations limiting an animals range. He said that they had made it to West Tennessee and could survive there okay but that they still hadn't made it to East Tennessee because our general, overall climate - and possibly even more so the climate in the higher elevations they'd have to cross to get here - was still just a little too cold for too many weeks at a time for an animal with armored plates surrounding its body. Could it be that the armadillo is expanding its range in response to an overall warming trend?

Edited by JAB