After reading Guns N Ammo do you unload?

NRA

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a rule I always have whatever is on my person (be it a holstered pistol, slung or hand carried rifle/shotgun) loaded and chambered. It does me no good if it's not. When not on my person (regardless of in the safe or not) they have a magazine loaded, but no round chambered. I don't leave my bolt guns loaded up in the safe, just my detacheable magazine fed pieces. This is a topic which everyone has a different opinon, but to me the most important thing is to always be consistent with whatever method one chooses.

Guest Lester Weevils

Whatever you do, just be safe! For instance, if you can't or won't engage the safety, then at least be very careful spinning a loaded pistol on your finger! :shrug:

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I have one gun in my home in a place that my wife & I both know about that is readily accessible & is loaded. The safety is on, but all you would have to do would be grab it, flip the safety off, & it would be ready to go.

I almost always have my carry weapon within arms reach when I am at home also, but I dont have a round chambered in it. I have a full mag but an empty chamber. I am confident that if anything ever happens I will have enough time to rack the slide. I know a lot of people wont agree with that, but its a decision I've made for me & my home & family. :mad:

By any chance are you from Florida? :whistle:

Aww man I saw another video of that guy today and when I realized who it was couldn't finish watching. Was researching amc1911 and that jerk has a vid on that too. Didn't show face but same voice and mannerism. No finger twirl tho.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

Just read Decembers Guns N Ammo and one article said how "you should always" unload you pistol every time you set it down. Is this just another case of CYA or do people really unload and lock up every time you set your gun down for the day? Just wondering what you all do.

I unload everytime but that's just what I what I was told to do my by father. He said it's the best way to preserve your magazine's springs. So when I put the gun down for the night, the magazine gets unloaded and the bullets go back into the box. Once I get ready to go out the next day, it gets reloaded.

Guest Bassman17SC

Since I am kind if new to this (I bought my first firearm in late June), I keep my carry pistol (Sig P226) loaded with a full magazine - but no rounds chambered - at all times. I also carry an additional fully loaded magazine as backup. If it is in the safe it still has the loaded mag. I am still not FULLY comfortable in the "cocked and locked" situation as yet. The other pistol (Sig 1911 TACOPS) is in the safe - again with a full magazine loaded, but no cartridges chambered. All other spare mags are empty in my range bag. The shotgun (20gauge) has six 2 3/4" shells with #3 buckshot in the magazine, but nothing chambered. I would imagine that the more experience I get, I will be more apt to carry cocked and locked (especially with the 1911).

I unload everytime but that's just what I what I was told to do my by father. He said it's the best way to preserve your magazine's springs. So when I put the gun down for the night, the magazine gets unloaded and the bullets go back into the box. Once I get ready to go out the next day, it gets reloaded.

That sounds like a pain in the ass. Magazine springs can be replaced, and they're not expensive. I keep mine and some spares loaded. I unload them about every 6 months and use change them out with my range mags.

That sounds like a pain in the ass. Magazine springs can be replaced, and they're not expensive. I keep mine and some spares loaded. I unload them about every 6 months and use change them out with my range mags.

yeah it does

Just read Decembers Guns N Ammo and one article said how "you should always" unload you pistol every time you set it down. Is this just another case of CYA or do people really unload and lock up every time you set your gun down for the day? Just wondering what you all do.

Nope. My pistol only works when there are rounds in it.

pistols are loaded. shotgun and ar have chambers empty, but mags loaded

Ditto.

All guns are in the safe if not on me and the shoty is taken out at bedtime and placed next to the bed with the chamber empty.My EDC is kept in the safe in a holster but I sometimes rotate them.

I quit reading Guns and Ammo.

I didn't see the article in Guns & Ammo, as I didn't renew subscription. A 1911 was designed to Condition 1 and I keep others loaded as well. I'll never have the excuse that I thought it was unloaded.