Has anyone ever eaten Robin breasts?

Will Carry

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to the meal report. I see the OP is in NC and I'm not sure of the law there. Before anyone over here in TN decides to go robin hunting check regulations. IIRC the robin is classified as a songbird, therefore it is illegal to take in this state.

I check her show once every morning just to see how good she looks.

Luckily AFN knows just what I like in the evening. She's been slimming down a lot lately.... I'm hoping she doesn't take it too far and end up losing her assets.

Looking forward to the meal report. I see the OP is in NC and I'm not sure of the law there. Before anyone over here in TN decides to go robin hunting check regulations. IIRC the robin is classified as a songbird, therefore it is illegal to take in this state.

This.

During business trip to Italy several years ago, an Italian colleague mention that they occasionally ate Robin. IIRC, he said it was a little greasy, but very tasty when cooked properly.

Speaknig of the bird flu, I was in Beijing a few years back at the height of the bird flu scare. The epicenter of it was about 30 miles from where we were & everyone wanted to go eat Peking duck. I must admit it was the best duck I've ever eaten. Id worry more about west nile virus these days. Also I think my whole town is a bird sanctuary on top of state law against killing birds.

I feed all the boids here. Everything from goldfinches to starlings (they like the suet) and everything in between. Sometimes have a hundred doves, or a hundred pigeons, or 50 of both. Sometimes 20 cardinals at a time, like that. Have red-tailed haws swoop down once in a while and grab one. And I live in the city, quarter mile from the interstate as the crow flies (get crows now and then, too).

Anyway, as far as eating any of them. SURE, if times get weird. I actually keep a box of 5 10lb bags of the good stuff reserved in my stores. Can choose dinner with a BB gun off back veranda. I'll probably go for the doves and pigeons when I can, just because of their size, but I'm sure any of them will taste just fine to a hungry OhShoot.

- OS

I find it fascinating that someone has the time to count 100 pigeons.

I bet your downstairs neighbor doesn't find this as fascinating :)

[Insert pic of poo covered deck]

My apt is second story on front but ground level on back, so I am the downstairs crib in that regard. Feeders are slightly off the actual porch, but the messy sparrows and whatnot scatter it onto it. The doves and pigeons for the most part stay in the yard (I throw seed out there too). They do attack the feeders some but are too big and ungainly to secure purchase but for a few seconds. Doves will come on the porch through the upright slats but the pigeons, which are actually less skittish, don't. No idea why. It does get a little messy now and then, but it's concrete, I hose it off.

But you're right, a guy who can count 100 boids and have the post count I do here should really get the hell on with life.

- OS