Grab and go AR

I would use my plr. Its small, suitable for short range combat, indoors or out, dealing with cover, etc. I would stick the (currently illegal, but in a situation, ask me if I care) forend grip/bipod on it, low power scope or red dot, load up the AR mags, and call it good. Any AR style pistol would be as good, point is I would keep it a small, light package to conserve weight & function in tight spaces. I do not think I would use the current pistol scope, I think a red dot would be better for combat.

• Like 1

i have been thinking of a lightweight kiss build for the same reasons. looking at a PSA lightweight, HF, CL middy in the 14.7 barrel with a perm attached a2. then an aimpoint PRO, and a light.

if you dont mind the NFA process now, i think a 10.5-12.5 SBR would be much more concealable in a pack. i have also been looking into an 8" noveske in .300 aac blackout for the extra power. then a suppressor

On top of what the others have said.

Sling plate as well as a forward sling point. SIngle points are fine and dandy until you have to run after you have transitioned to a pistol. Avoid bungee type slings as they tend to increase the bouncing around of the gun as you move if it is hanging.

Something that allows you to carry spare batteries, maybe not for optics but for flashlight or muffs. Also some lube would be good as well.

I would also look at a forward vertical grip because it can give you more strike force. For me it also makes it easier to shoot. They are not illegal on rifles with a 16" or longer barrel.

Also, not part of the firearm itself but I would have hearing protection with the gun. I like electronics that amplify low level sounds. I would also add eye protection as well as a good set of gloves to the items to go with a bug out gun.

Dolomite

Guest Darthlaidher

A vertical grip is a no-go on a AR pistol configuration, making it a AOW. I believe that the Magpul angled grip is fine.

Really? That strikes me as a law CA would have.

Guest Darthlaidher

Uncle Sam, brother, not state.

- OS

Hmm never heard of that. Oh read it wrong. lol pistol not piston I was thinking piston what??? lol

Edited by Darthlaidher

For non nfa regulated, basic 16" bbl, miad grip to hold extra of whatever(batteries, spare round, etc), ubr stock, buis, pmags, ergonomic handguards without rails, eotech with quick attach/detach 4x magnifier. Chambered in either 5.56, 6.8, or.300blk.

If using a nfa regulated gun, add a suppressor with a 11.5" bbl.

no 4 rail forearm or tact charging handle they get caught on anything and everything.

if some says just buy rail covers then was is the point, of the extra wieght and money, almost, but not all will let you put a rail or rails on were you need/want them.

no 4 rail forearm or tact charging handle they get caught on anything and everything.

if some says just buy rail covers then was is the point, of the extra wieght and money, almost, but not all will let you put a rail or rails on were you need/want them.

Exactly....the Magpul MOE is way better in my opinion because you can add rail pieces exactly where needed.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Define Grab and bug out scenario - if its a mayor global event you should have some type of an emergency plan. If i would have to ditch everything and get out i would probably build a 308 AR - something that i can hunt with for food, nothing special Iron Sights a must, secondary choice is some kind of a scope - we all have the Red Dot sights and the EOtech's but they all run on batteries and they have a lifespan, my preffered choice 1-4 x 24 scope it gives you a close combat capabilities with some range also - i use a Nikon M 223 1-4x24 scope it is probaly best priced scope inits class that is very easy to use and it holds zero u can find them for about $ 250.00. Magpul MS2 Sling that u can use in 1 or 2 point configuration, few spare mags and some type of a minimal cleaning kit.

If a major event hits us be prepared and plan for it, number 1 thing to remeber be quick and get out - that means get out of populated areas - big cities towns, the more people you have around the more difficult it gets.

Here's my SHTF AR (though i would remove the 37mm launcher...unless i needed it to distract zombies)

IMAG0615.jpg

Spikes FN Hammer Forged midlength 14.7" upper with perma attached smith vortex flash hider(aka tuning fork of death), Troy MRF rail, Spikes "Zombie" Custom Lower, Spikes LPK, Spikes 17-7 buffer spring, Spikes T2 heavy buffer, Spikes "failzero" BCG, Spikes nickel boron coated trigger and hammer, Magpul BAD lever, Eotech XPS2-2 "opmod", DD fixed rear sight, Magpul MOE OD grip with plug and additional CR123 batteries, Magpul OD MOE stock, Single Point sling, BCM "gunfighter" mod 4 charging handle (worth every penny), and "zombie killer" dust cover door ;-D

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
Guest 6.8 AR

Since it's already built, my 6.8 pistol. Noveske pig, Eotech and sling. Short and sweet.

I don't care for NFA toys and I like compact.

If things got that bad, I'd hopefully have a rifle and plenty of ammo nearby. I usually do.

Same caliber.

Trouble is, I don't have anywhere to go except home.

Fighting is a young man's game. But I'll try to hold down the fort.

Ha. Yeah, bugout for me would mean retreating from the deck to the living room. I carry a 16 inch bbl AR on the back forty (well, back

3000 now) for coyotes and such. I'm a little iffy on using a shorty barrel with a round that needs all the MV it can get. Cheap optical and iron backups. If I were buggin out on wheels I would choose a 30 caliber platform. Come to think of it, an M1 carbine would do as well for the nature walks, and is lighter than the AR to boot. Hmmm....

• Like 1

Just a simple AR, collapseble stock with a 20inch barrel. Iron sights are a must, since you can't go wrong with them. Bore Snake, cleaning kit and lots of ammo. All other are luxuries you can live without.

CAR-16 with A2 sights, lightweight barrel, nothing electronic or optical. Old black GI 'silent sling'. Total weight - 6.5lbs. Also, a .22 conversion kit. Add in my .223 suppressor, and I'm done. Taken down, it's a very compact package and easily hidden.

I subscribe to the KISS principle. I don't intend to get into battles, so all that tactical stuff is just extra weight and things to go wrong. With the suppressor, I can knock off small game and nobody will hear. And if I DO get into a shooting match, it is very difficult to hear where shots are coming from when you use a suppressor. All they will hear is the supersonic crack of the bullet. The suppressor also saves MY hearing from damage.