Those of you who live near the mountains are so freakin' lucky...

• Administrator

You may have noticed that I haven't been online much lately. While I am extremely thankful to have a good paying job doing something I enjoy, they have been working my ass to death for about 12 months straight. The past three months have been brutal and I've clocked about 54 hrs per week on average. No overtime. I don't get that luxury. The company line is that we're salary and we should be grateful for that because we get paid good even when it's slow.

Problem is... it's never slow. So the company line is bull####, but again I'm grateful to have my job.

About a month ago it finally started to really take it's toll on me so my wife and I decided that it was time for a family vacation. Some folks like to park a folding chair on the beach with the sand between their toes and a cooler at their side. I can see where that would be relaxing, but if you give me a choice I am going to head for the mountains. We've vacationed out west in Colorado, Utah, Arizona, etc. and loved it out there but we just didn't have the time for that long of a trip right now.

So we rented a beautiful cabin in the Smoky Mountains, butted right up against the park so that things would be peaceful and away from the tourist traps. We then spent the week driving through the park and hiking around, doing one of the things I love to do... taking photos.

As much as I'm glad to be back and rested, I sure do miss the mountains already. Those of you who live close to them are damn lucky.

Here's what's kept me away the past few days...

Smokies-Vacation-20120709-023-X2.jpg

Smokies-Vacation-20120709-035-X2.jpg

Smokies-Vacation-20120710-061-X2.jpg

Smokies-Vacation-20120710-066-X2.jpg

Smokies-Vacation-20120710-090-X2.jpg

Smokies-Vacation-20120711-110-X2.jpg

I was up at Fontana Lake flyfishing and camping at Hazel creek last weekend. I lived in Knoxville for 4 years and didn't realize how much I'd miss the mountains until I moved back to the basin of Nashville. However, that's about all I miss about East Tn...lol

Guest rebeldrummer

Welcome to my back yard David !!! ha ha ha.... glad you have a well deserved and relaxing weekend with your family.

and nice photos by the way...

there is a reason they call this land God's country :)

I was up that way the other day, brother lives in Sevierville.

I go every chance I get.

I dont dont like the beach eather, to HOT.

Glad yall had a good time away from the job.

Nice pics! Glad you had a good time.

We feel real lucky to be able to call the Overhill area our home. It's hard to convince the kids we are on vacation every weekend though I sure feel like it. :)

Edited by sigmtnman
  • Administrator

Yeah we left 110 degree temperatures here for mid to high 70 degree temperatures over there. We had gentle persistent rains for most of the time there, which was great and very relaxing. The second to last day we were there the thunderstorms kicked in. There's a whole lot relaxing about sitting in a gazebo-covered hot tub with a beer in hand as the thunder rolls across the mountains and the rain hammers the land around you.

Although not as high as the smokies I live in a very rural setting on the side of a mountain. We are surrounded by woods in every direction and along with that all the wildlife that comes with it. Yesterday we cam home to three turkey hens with a bunch of chicks. They were eating some old fruit we tossed out in the yard the day before. And a few days ago we watched as a box turtle looked for the right place for her to lay her eggs. And for the past week a young hawk has been screaming for its parents. Funny thing is the same parents come back every year and raise a chick and have for at least 5 years. We don't have as many deer this year as previous years but we still see them at least once a week vs every day last year.

We have a creek in front o four house but it has turned into a wet weather creek. When I was a kid it ran all the time but now it only runs when it rains and sometimes in the winter.

We talk about moving regularly but I do not believe I could live in the city ever again.

Dolomite

It is purty for sure. Some spots we ride at are so beautyful that you do not want to leave there.We get to ride a road on the wintertime that connects Townsend to Cades Cove.On horseback its simply stunning.

Now you're talking. Cades cove is my fav place on the planet.

You are absolutely right David, living in East TN is a blessing. One that I miss.

I'm flying to Montana in a few weeks. I'm really excited about seeing Yellowstone and the Grand Teton's.

Check out the view from my hotel.

6812720777_889fd030ee_b.jpg

Not to take away any from any posting here, and I truly love the mountains too, probably have hiked most of the trails on the Tennessee side at one time or another, and have seen most picturesque places in person, can likely tell David where he was at when he took the pictures, other than Maui in Hawaii, there is not another place on earth I would want to live for its scenery and tranquility. I grew up in Sevier county, both sides of my families have lived in the county for what I can tell before Tennessee was a state. I use to stay with my grandparents who lived at the entrance to the Greenbrier entrace to the smokies, 10 miles east of Gatlinburb on 73 or I mean 321. I even went to Pittman Center elementary for 1 year (about 3 miles from the entrance to the Smokies). In the warm/hot months, May to September, those dang gum knats would eat you up all the time, never could stay outside long without getting eat up. You could use knat away or some type of spary, it just moves them away from your face by about a 24", they still will bunch up in a cloud, and if you are not carefull, you can feel them stick to your throat or nostrils. Due to the mountains, it rained almost daily (quick 30 min. mountain showers that pop up out of nowhere), somehow Todd Howell never mentions them or forecasts them. Going to the mountain streams to swim or trout fish was not an option, too many tourists had each outcropping claimed, and parking was a nightmare. The winters are just to dang cold due to the snow on Mount LeConte. Knoxville could be in the low 50s in January, my grandmothers place would be high 30s, with a mountain breeze that would cut you to the bone. Granny use to say there must be a foot of snow on the mountains to keep her placed chilled like an ice box. Navigating the roads just to go to the store or somewhere was a nightmare due to the many tourists. The tourism industry use to be a Memorial day to Labor day type thing, so life could be a little bit normal 9 months of the year, but that all changed with Dollywood, Winterfest, and what other fests, now the tourism industry in Sevier county is all year around. Living and growing up in sevier county has chasened me, but I guess if you visit for 5-10 days a year as a tourist or everyother year, it may seem like a real treat, a resort or just a breath taking experience, just try living there 365, its not fun. Oh by the way, there are no jobs in Sevier county, unless you wait tables, bus tables, and clean rooms, or have the last name Reagan or Ogle. I have been moved away now for 12 years, visit my family often, but I really have no regrets. I do live next to the mountains down in Monroe county. This place is very much like Sevier county with the mountains, streams, and cabins, but without any tourist and any tourist fanfare. Its the same range of mountains, just 60 miles further sounth. It has mountain peaks in the 5K feet level. Some of the best trout streams in Tennessee, and has better waterfalls than the smokies. Sometime check out the cabin rentals and vacation packages in Tellico (not tellico village), you will not be disappointed. Oh by the way, if you want a job, there is much industry and great paying jobs without bussing tables, waiting tables and cleaning rooms. Finally, if you want to go to the store, you just might make it without meeting hardly any traffic or should say hardly any cars. BTW, no Knats here! Burnt out Smokies guy. I should point out, the native sevier countians I do miss, great poeple, but not the northerns or retirees who moved to the mountainess region! Not enjoyable for me anymore.

My Family and I usually go to St Simons Island every year. The last couple of year it has been just too hot. This year we rented also in the Gatlinburg area and traipsed around the GSMNP and had a wonderful time. It went by too quick. My wife also has a love of the camera and she took some great pictures. We are looking at somewhere south of G'burg or North Georgia next year. I'm going to take my Motorcycle.

Edited by R1100R
Guest 6.8 AR

Glad to hear you got that break, David. The mountains always feel good when we get there.

The last time we were up there it snowed and were stuck for three days. Wasn't a problem .

Had plenty of food and I was hoping we could have been stuck a while longer. :D

That is something nice about where I live. Even if it is going to be 100 degrees during the day I wake up to 60 degree temps. When we built our house we didn't put any air in and we would open the windows at night to let the cool air in then close them in the morning. Out insulation was so good, R19 in the wall and R30 in the ceilings, that the house would stay cool most of the day. It is also wrapped to keep drafts down. I have since added central heat and air but I still get up and let the cool breeze come through the house in the morning most days.

Dolomite

Oh, I know I'm lucky to be living in Knoxville, but when it's time to unwind, give me the beach, a cooler full of adult beverages, a couple of good books, a comfortable lounger and some music and a week of good seafood! I'll use my weekends in the Smokeys, and BSF for blowing off steam and keeping everything on an even keel. But I am glad you got a way! We did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, when we went to visit my mom and dad's new place in Tampa. It was much needed, since we hadn't had a vacation in two years. You have to put work in it's place every once in a while and get away!

...stuff...

I have to agree with a good portion of this.

I grew up in Monroe County, Tellico Plains (Rural Vale) to be exact.

While Vonore may have the industry, that is about it in the county. The rest of it is slowly spiraling into a drug infested decay of poverty and laziness.

With that said though...

I remember about twenty years ago (wow, it has been that long...) when Dolly came to town and expressed interest in buying Stokely Bottoms for a theme park. The town told her no. The history of the area was more important. The Indian Burial Ground, the Civil War cannon works, the WWII internment camp. I was proud of Tellico for that. Made my happy to know that my town would not be... whored out like Sevier County.

Now, with one of the highest meth related arrest rates in the state, several close friends and family that are dead or in jail from a stagnant wasting away of nothingness that comes from being deep in the depths of hopelessness and poverty, I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Dolly had bought Stokely Bottoms.

Now back to the OP. I miss my mountains so much. I feel lonely without them. I knew they meant a lot to me, but I didn't realize I would feel like this without them. As a kid a I traipsed all through those woods, camping, hunting, fishing, just wandering. I miss that. I understand completely why the leaf lookers come out, and I don't hold it against them anymore, not the way I used to.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Well to be clear, I hate "tourists" with a passion and when I go places like this I'm there to get away from people. This little vacation reaffirmed one thing I've believed all along: That there simply is no magical place in the USA where people are not self-absorbed, self-important, impatient asses when you put them behind the wheel of a car or truck.

Case in point, the posted speed limit through the Roaring Forks motor-trail is 10mph and for good reason. SOME of us like to stop and take pictures, walk across the road to the other side to see something over there, or just generally roll down the windows and drive at a very leisurely pace, taking in what God created. But then there are those clowns from Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida and the other 47 states of the union who somehow figure you can "take in" the majesty of the place by driving 30mph and tailgating the guy in front of them.

That guy was me, a lot of the time. I slowed down even more for them. I learned that my F150 can idle at about 3mph if left to it's own devices. I also learned that it really pisses off people when you do that. :)

Glad to hear you got that break, David. The mountains always feel good when we get there.

The last time we were up there it snowed and were stuck for three days. Wasn't a problem .

Had plenty of food and I was hoping we could have been stuck a while longer. :D

The last time I was up there I got snowed in for a week. Loved being stuck there!

I understand what you are saying David, but would suggest that if you are trying to take it in, why not pull over at the first opportunity, let the "clown" by and enjoy your time even more without the stress of a tailgater? If you are not in a hurry the extra few seconds should not impact you.

We live pretty far down a two lane road with no areas to pass, in a somewhat popular tourist area. When my wife was pregnant we had an emergency situation to deal with and for whatever reason people refused to pull over to let us by and one particular tourist fellow slowed to a snails pace and moved to the center of the road to block us. That fellow doesn't know how close he came to ending up in the drink as I feared for my wife and unborn child.

Granted, I had the hazards on and surely you would have let someone by in that situation, but the self absorption can be viewed from both angles.

Edited by sigmtnman