Out of the blue

Howler

New guy at work asks me if I have any old handguns for sale. My wall goes up immediately. Why is he asking me this? I said no I don't sell my guns. "Well I tried to buy one but I was turned down", he said. At this point my mind is racing. He's asking for a gun when when he knows he legally can't own one. I asked, "you have a record?" "Yeah, but it ain't nothing bad', he stated. I informed him that if he failed the background check it would be illegal to possess a weapon and anyone selling him one would also be breaking the law. As he motored off I couldn't help but wonder what he had been arrested for. Finally I asked another co-worker if he knew what he had been convicted of. ARMED ROBBERY!!! I try not to judge the way a person looks, but my intuition was spot on. Looking like a gangbanger with neck tats kinda gave it away. I also found out he had given a two week notice and was moving back to Cali. Trying to by a gat before returning to Barstow?

Guest bkelm18

A more important question to ask is why did he come to you asking to buy a gun? My guns are my business and I don't talk about them to anyone who doesn't need to know, and that includes co-workers. Too many crazies out there.

I had a guy come up to me at work one time and ask about buying a handgun. I started asking questions, like revolver or semi auto, small or large, and how it will be carried. He then proceeds to tell me he is really wanting to get one because him and his wife were going through a divorce. I stopped him right away and suggested counseling instead of a firearm. I told him I hated to hear of his situation, but a gun would not fix it. I then told him there was nothing that could have occured that woukld justify the need for a gun. (she cheated, he cheated, she had a new boyfriend, etc...) The whole deal really caught me offguard. I spoke to another friend of mine and told him what had happened and he also went and spoke to the guy, affirming what I had told him. In the end, the guy did not buy a gun and got his divorce peacefully.

A more important question to ask is why did he come to you asking to buy a gun? My guns are my business and I don't talk about them to anyone who doesn't need to know, and that includes co-workers. Too many crazies out there.

^^^

What he said!!

I have no idea why he chose me. Almost all of us have guns. Why ask me? Not for sure he's done anything illegal by trying to buy a gun, so a call to the po po would be a waste of time. This story only reminds us that laws will not stop a criminal from trying to buy.

A former coworker started his youth in beverly hills boostin luxury cars. Ended up doin 5+yrs for felony involving firearms, drugs. Fast forward 20 yrs... he's very reformed with 3 girls & a beautiful wife & a good job but due to the work he is still around a lot of criminals. We were discussing expungements etc one day... I believed him when he confided point blank he could make a phone call & get a 'clean' gun dropped off to him in an hours time. He wants to go the legal route though.

Criminals with or without records will always be able to get weapons. Vigilance!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

A former coworker started his youth in beverly hills boostin luxury cars. Ended up doin 5+yrs for felony involving firearms, drugs. Fast forward 20 yrs... he's very reformed with 3 girls & a beautiful wife & a good job but due to the work he is still around a lot of criminals. We were discussing expungements etc one day... I believed him when he confided point blank he could make a phone call & get a 'clean' gun dropped off to him in an hours time. He wants to go the legal route though.

Criminals with or without records will always be able to get weapons. Vigilance!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

He can get an expungement, but if he has a felony drug arrest; he may find he can’t get his guns rights back in Tennessee. That could change though. This case is going through the Tennessee courts now. He has a full pardon from Georgia, but because he was convicted on drug charges; Tennessee won’t recognize his gun rights.

http://blogs.knoxnew...for-tn-gun.html

He can get an expungement, but if he has a felony drug arrest; he may find he can’t get his guns rights back in Tennessee. That could change though. This case is going through the Tennessee courts now. He has a full pardon from Georgia, but because he was convicted on drug charges; Tennessee won’t recognize his gun rights.

http://blogs.knoxnew...for-tn-gun.html ....

That story is way behind.

Didn't this already make up to TN Supreme Court? And get kicked back down to the last court that handled it as they refused to hear it on some basis?

- OS

Sounds like a phone call to the police is in order . . .

This is the type of stuff that will capture the attention of his parole officer.

If he is still on parole, that would be one way to go about it. If he isn't on parole any longer, no one to call.

I got nothing against folks with tattoos, but it seems like the new trend of neck tattoos is the easiest way to identify if someone has felony convictions on their record.

That is kinda closeminded don't you think? You preface it by saying that you don't have anything against folks with tattoos, then continue to say that it is a good way to tell if they have a felony conviction?

I happen to have many tattoos, encompassing a large portion of my body, including on my neck. I also happen to be a middle class, middle management, law abiding citizen with a mostly spotless criminal record. I might speed on occasion.

I know what you meant, but I still kinda took offense.

My tattoos are all covered when I put a shirt and tie on and go to work. But they are still there.

Maybe it is a generational or cultural divide. However, tattoos are a lot more commonplace now, and I think you are doing yourself a great disservice writing a such a large chunk of the population off without so much as a second thought.

To the OP, you did the right thing in telling him no. However, where there is a will, there is a way. I don't know what you can do to stop him, or than lobby congress to ban all guns. But a call to the local PD to ask around might not hurt.

Edited by Murgatroy

If he is still on parole, that would be one way to go about it. If he isn't on parole any longer, no one to call.That is kinda closeminded don't you think? You preface it by saying that you don't have anything against folks with tattoos, then continue to say that it is a good way to tell if they have a felony conviction?

I happen to have many tattoos, encompassing a large portion of my body, including on my neck. I also happen to be a middle class, middle management, law abiding citizen with a mostly spotless criminal record. I might speed on occasion.

I know what you meant, but I still kinda took offense.

My tattoos are all covered when I put a shirt and tie on and go to work. But they are still there.

Maybe it is a generational or cultural divide. However, tattoos are a lot more commonplace now, and I think you are doing yourself a great disservice writing a such a large chunk of the population off without so much as a second thought.

To the OP, you did the right thing in telling him no. However, where there is a will, there is a way. I don't know what you can do to stop him, or than lobby congress to ban all guns. But a call to the local PD to ask around might not hurt.

I've had lots of negative interaction with people that had neck tattoos, I have yet to have positive interaction with such a person. I'm not saying that I would discount someone just because they had a tattoo on their neck, but I would proceed with caution. I don't consider it being closed minded I consider it to be taking into account previous life experiences.

You guys know the difference between people with tattoos and people without them? People with tats don't care that you don't have them. Any time I hear people refer to how mean, rough, gangster, etc someone looks because of tats it brings this picture to mind. Not to mention the number of people in the military with tats, even though we aren't allowed to have anything above neck line.

tats.jpg

• Like 2

Not a post about tattoos. It's a post about a gut feeling. Someone ya don't know asking, out of the blue, about buying a gun from ya. Telling you he's been turned down by TBI but still on the hunt. Promise the guy looks nothing like your picture. Most everyone I work with has tattoos. One has tattoos of dead women, the devil, and three headed dogs. Never bothered me in the least. This guy is a little different.

If That is kinda closeminded don't you think? You preface it by saying that you don't have anything against folks with tattoos, then continue to say that it is a good way to tell if they have a felony conviction?

I meant no offense, but it's one of those things where it might not be 100%, but it's pretty darn close. And I didn't refer to tattoos in general, just the ones on the neck. Kinda the same way that the tramp stamps are seen as slutty.

I welcome you to look over our county arrest mugshots for a couple days and you will start to notice a common denominator with drug/domestic/assault arrests. Like it or not, neck tattoos are the new trend in the criminal tough guy community. I could go get a swastika tattooed on my forehead because I believe in what it stood for before Hitler hijacked it, but nearly everyone who sees it is going to think I'm a white supremacist despite being a peacenik. Is it their fault they see it that way?

Most of the people I know are tatted up. I got nothing against it, but certain tats come with connotations attached to them and I'm not apologetic in recognizing them.

Edited by TMF 18B
Not to mention the number of people in the military with tats, even though we aren't allowed to have anything above neck line.

That rule changed a few years ago. It looks incredibly unprofessional in uniform.

It didn't quite change. People started getting in with waivers. Then PFC Snuffy sees PVT Smith has a neck tattoo so he goes and gets one. So on and so forth. The new SMA has pretty much said he approached like 12 NCOs with exposed neck tattoos and none of them had waivers. I do not have any tattoos. I do not have anything against them though. In the military I find exposed tattoos to be unprofessional.

http://www.lineofdeparture.com/2012/03/07/armys-top-nco-talking-radical-reforms-to-uniforms-grooming/

These are his recommendations.

• Any tattoo or brand is prohibited on the head, neck or face (except permanent makeup). No tattoos can be “visible above the neckline when the IPFU is worn. Tattoos on the arms will not extend below the wrist bone and are not authorized on the hands.†Soldiers can’t cover tattoos with makeup to comply with the policy.
  • Sleeve, half-sleeve and quarter-sleeve tattoos “that are visible to the eye†when in the PT shorts and t-shirt are banned. Soldiers currently with the sleeve tattoos “will be allowed to retain them.â€

(questions submitted regarding the suggestions by the SMA)

5. On the SMA’s new tattoo policy, ink will be banned on the head, neck or face or anywhere else “above the neckline when the IPFU is worn.†Tattoos cannot extend below the wrist bone “and are not authorized on the hands.†Is there a waiver for troops who are in the service now who have tattoos and wore them under previous policies? Or do they have to leave the Army or face punitive action?

6. The policy also repeats the admonition that soldiers can’t “cover tattoos or brands to comply with the tattoo policy.†Sleeve, half-sleeve and quarter-sleeve tattoos also are prohibited but those who already have them “will be allowed to retain them.†If they can have them, why not those with tattoos elsewhere on their bodies?

</p>

I meant no offense, but it's one of those things where it might not be 100%, but it's pretty darn close. And I didn't refer to tattoos in general, just the ones on the neck. Kinda the same way that the tramp stamps are seen as slutty.

I welcome you to look over our county arrest mugshots for a couple days and you will start to notice a common denominator with drug/domestic/assault arrests. Like it or not, neck tattoos are the new trend in the criminal tough guy community. I could go get a swastika tattooed on my forehead because I believe in what it stood for before Hitler hijacked it, but nearly everyone who sees it is going to think I'm a white supremacist despite being a peacenik. Is it their fault they see it that way?

Most of the people I know are tatted up. I got nothing against it, but certain tats come with connotations attached to them and I'm not apologetic in recognizing them.

This is not something I do often, but after a brief period of recollection, I am going to retract my argument.

When I ran through a brief list in my head of folks I know or have associated that happen to have a tattoo on their neck, outside of collectors (those who cover themselves in tattoos because it is their hobby,) I am struck with an obvious lack of folks I would trust.

I am left with a very short list of myself, my mother and a close friend. I have a scorpion on my throat area, and some initials on the back of my neck, my mother has a butterfly up the side of her neck, and my friend has some tribal on the back of his neck.

A short list indeed.

I still disagree with the simple idea of distrusting a person with a tattoo, which I know your argument was not based on. I just felt the need to make the statement that there are folks out there with tattoos are that trustworthy and not felons.

Now had you said tear drops tattooed under the eye, well, I can't think of anyone that has those that is honest. ;)

Murgatroy, I also noticed in another thread that your scorpion appears to be professionally done. Most of the neck tats I see look pretty lousy. Seems that most of the tattooed people that I've come across that are trouble makers got their ink on Bubbas back porch while Bubba was working on his second case of PBR that evening if you know what I mean. I recall plenty of run ins with heavily tattooed people in another life that I lived but none of them had good ink, not a lot of thugs running around with quality work on their bodies for some reason???

Peopel must think I am ghetto..

I have tattoos.. :sadwave:

I think that people who judge people because they are inked or have body mods are missing out on some really good people and possible really good friends..

And then there are the ones with the tats you KNOW they are trouble..

I actually had my nose pierced a few months ago.. but sadly could not keep it until it healed..

It was on my bucketlist.. :)