Looking for EDC. 357 suggestions

Spots

I will be getting my school money in soon, and I plan to use a some of the excess to finally get my HCP and an everyday carry gun. Now while I appreciate a nice auto, and do plan to buy a 1911 framed. 45 one day, for now I'd like to find a full sized revolver to carry. Carry will be loosely concealed, as in a shirt over a belt carried holster. So I'm looking for a revolver, chambered in .357/.38, with a 4" or so barrel, and an external hammer. And Id like to stay under $600, new or used either one. Thanks for the suggestions guys

I will be getting my school money in soon, and I plan to use a some of the excess to finally get my HCP and an everyday carry gun.

This is either someone else's tax dollars or you are indebting yourself even further.

My Opinion = Save the funds for a rainy day, or to start paying down that student loan when it comes due.

You asked for suggestions, and I gave you mine! :up:

• Like 1

This is either someone else's tax dollars or you are indebting yourself even further.

My Opinion = Save the funds for a rainy day, or to start paying down that student loan when it comes due.

You asked for suggestions, and I gave you mine! :up:

Or it could be my post 9/11 GI bills first months worth of BHA, and since my rent is already paid from my full time job, I'm buying myself something shiny with it. :stunned: Not all young people will put themselves in major debt, or let themselves be a complete drain on society. Thanks for the suggestion though. Anyone got a pistol suggestion? :wave:

Edit: I didn't mean for that to come off as snappy as it sounds. Its just that I come to a gun forum looking for gun advice, not financial or life advice.

Edited by Spots

+1 on the Ruger SP101. I'd also consider getting a snubnose. Easier to conceal and very accurate when practiced with.

I'm not a fan of snubnose guns. My EDC consist of around home which is rural, and carrying to work, which is a family owned off road fabrication shop, where the owner carries openly. So I'm not as worried about concealment, it'll be in a belt worn holster, with just a button up shirt tail thrown over it 99% of the time.

Or it could be my post 9/11 GI bills first months worth of BHA, and since my rent is already paid from my full time job, I'm buying myself something shiny with it. :stunned: Not all young people will put themselves in major debt, or let themselves be a complete drain on society. Thanks for the suggestion though. Anyone got a pistol suggestion? :wave:

Edit: I didn't mean for that to come off as snappy as it sounds. Its just that I come to a gun forum looking for gun advice, not financial or life advice.

Hey Spots,

I see, I see :) I didn't want my post to come off condescending ... I should have put "Correct me if I'm wrong" -- I belong to several other forums and the amount of debt they incur just to secure their hobby is atrocious.

Anyways ... To the question at hand ...

SP101 with 3" barrel in .357 gets my vote :)

If it's EDC & .357 then the SP101 is what I would go with due to it's overall size and weight. But of more importance is it's ability to stand up to continued use of 357 Magnum rounds. Further it will withstand far more rounds of 357 & 38 Spl ammo than you will ever run through it. Last it has enough mass to allow you to control it and shoot it for longer periods of time with hot rounds while coming from the factory with a comfortable grip.

Hey Spots,

I see, I see :) I didn't want my post to come off condescending ... I should have put "Correct me if I'm wrong" -- I belong to several other forums and the amount of debt they incur just to secure their hobby is atrocious.

Anyways ... To the question at hand ...

SP101 with 3" barrel in .357 gets my vote :)

Its all good man, I understand, I work in the off road community, and I see people go in $20k worth of debt for toys all the time. I just hate that someone would think I was sucking off the gov. using tax payers money. Back to thread, the ruger SP101 seems to be the favorite by far right now

The Ruger. Be prepared to take it down and clean and deburr the guts when you get it home. Trigger improves dramatically from this and I'm not talking a full blown trigger job, just deburr the parts, being sure not to work on the mating surfaces of the sear and hammer ( you knew that though! ) and clean the factory crud out while lubing it up proper. I tried a lighter ha mer spring and ended up getting so e misfires so do that afterwards and test thoroughly. The factory rubber grips suck too so snag some nice Hogue wood and you'll be set. The bigger grips wil help with recoil. That thing is a mini cannon with full house 357 loads.

The .357 is an excellent choice! To get one light enough to carry concealed you will have to get used to the recoil. Embrace the recoil. Feel the power of the king of one shot stops. Long live the King!

I have a couple of .357s a GP-100 and a Bisley Vaquero both Ruger brands.

Edited by Will Carry

Personally I'd recommend a S&W Model 60 with a 4" barrel. I'm a skinny guy and that the biggest 4" .357 I could conceal. If size and cost didn't matter I'd recommend one of the S&W Mountain series of revolvers. Don't remember if that's the exact name though...

Nothing wrong with the Rugers. But I think the Model 65 or 66 with a 4" bbl is just about the perfect size for the .357 round.

I picked up a used 65 many years ago at a really good price. I don't really know how expensive or hard to find they are now. I bet you can still find a deal on one, though.

Will

Having had dozens of revolvers I would second the S&W 19 or 66 better yet the 65 or a 13. If it were me I would cut the hammer spur off of a 4-3" 65/13 and you will be a happy young man. Then when you get some more years under your belt you will opt for a Glock 19.

Amen to that.