Smaller all metal 9s?

A.J. Holst

After taking an SI class with Randy where my beloved CZ75B Omega broke after 10,000+ rounds, I broke out my SP101...

Since the SP is EDC 10% - 20% of the time, it was a great opportunity to see how well I could shoot with it. Pretty well as it turns out, but I realized 5 shots with slower reloads using speedloaders could be a problem with more than one BG. I also discovered speed strips were a no go for me maybe because I am a southpaw

Any recommendations, under $600, new or used, for an all steel or steel/alloy 9?

If nothing in that arena, I have handled a full size M&P and liked it, what about their compact / shield?

I simply don't care about the weight - my first EDC was the SP and I have no problems with the full sized 75.

Thanks,

GtG
  • Like 1
I have the Kahr all stainless MK40. I also have the M&P Shield. I prefer the Shield for a sub-compact. But if size is not an issue I carry my full size M&P 40. 15 rounds of 40S&W is pretty hard to beat.

(Mine are all 40, but they also make them in 9. They are the same size, just less effective. [img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/biggrin.gif[/img] )

My S&W 2.5" Model 66 in .357MAG is all metal. So is my S&W model 36 in .38 SPECIAL. S&W use to make the J-frame in 9mm but they are hard to find. I think the SP101 is offered in 9, isn't it?

All depends on your application.
I carry a Kahr PM9 ( ss slide and polymer frame) which runs about $600 new. They have a Kahr CM9 which run less than $400. The CM9 has a different barrel and plastic front sight.
Trigger pull on both are long/smooth like a good revolver. 6+1 with a 7 rd mag available. Edited by lshel
I am fond of my Jericho/Baby Eagle compact.

12+1 rounds of 9mm in a full steel compact about the same size as my Glock 19.

Since you are used to a CZ anyways, the Jericho/Baby Eagle would be right up your alley, as it is a CZ Clone.

[img]http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/4/6/img_20120713_143921.jpg[/img]
You may want to try a Star BM or BKM. These are the perfect sized 9mms. Not too small and not too big. It is shame that no current manufacturer is making a steel or alloy/steel gun in this size. My last one looks a little pimpish thanks to one of our TGO members and his gun coating skills. Robertson's Trading Post has some: http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.aspx?T=Star%20BM

[img]http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/graycrait/ChromelinedStarBM.jpg[/img] Edited by graycrait
[quote name='midtennchip' timestamp='1354396832' post='853479']
I love my Kahr PM 9. The MK9 is all steel and only slightly larger than my PM9. I can carry my PM9 in my front pocket (just to give you an idea of size).
[/quote]

Just a note: actually, Kahr shows that the PM9 is slightly longer than the MK9

MK9: 4 by 5.3, .90 slide width
Pistol 22.1 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces

PM9: 4 by 5.42, .90 slide width
Pistol 14 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces

- OS Edited by Oh Shoot
[quote name='Gotthegoods' timestamp='1354390850' post='853434']
After taking an SI class with Randy where my beloved CZ75B Omega broke after 10,000+ rounds, I broke out my SP101...

Since the SP is EDC 10% - 20% of the time, it was a great opportunity to see how well I could shoot with it. Pretty well as it turns out, but I realized 5 shots with slower reloads using speedloaders could be a problem with more than one BG. I also discovered speed strips were a no go for me maybe because I am a southpaw

Any recommendations, under $600, new or used, for an all steel or steel/alloy 9?

If nothing in that arena, I have handled a full size M&P and liked it, what about their compact / shield?

I simply don't care about the weight - my first EDC was the SP and I have no problems with the full sized 75.

Thanks,

GtG
[/quote]

I am a big fan of CZ,why not just get another CZ or fix yours
I have 4 CZs myself and I think they are awsome..Only thing close IMO is a S&W 5906 but they are no longer
in production,best S&W Semi auto ever made IMO...... Edited by SonnyCrockett