Connecticut school shooting

• Moderators

I just joined this forum about 2 weeks ago and I have basically been "lurking" the whole time, but there are some good points made in this thread and I thought I would add a little to it. When I was deployed last year to Afghanistan EVERYONE carried a loaded rifle and most had a grenade. We never had people shooting up "chow halls" because everyone was armed and could defend themselves. Do you think a coward would go into a school and try to shoot someone if they knew within the first 5 rounds being fired they would be on the way to their maker? Absolutely NOT. Someone that would kill a child is a lowlife piece of trash and wouldn't have the balls to be taken down like a man. This truly breaks my heart, and I pray for those children and their families.

Well, I feel that an armed populace is good at preventing two things: Tyranny in government and crime. I don't know how well it goes against deterring truly crazy people from doing crazy things. The CT shooter took his own life; Nearly all mass shooters take their own life. They plan on doing so before they ever begin shooting. I don't think an armed population would prevent a person from acting out on lunacy, but an armed population would be good at stopping a crazy person from shooting a large number of people.

I'm just not sure that an armed population will prevent a madman from trying to shoot as many people as possible. It's just, an armed population is going to make sure that the madman doesn't get very far with his plans.

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Like 2

Glad I would have never went to a school you would like to open.  Schools aren't prisons.  At the end of they day, bad things happen.  This is tragic, but when we get to that level, the crazies have won.  Your child could get hit by a truck on the way home, they could die of a heart attach, or anything.  Let's not turn our country into a police state thinking somehow we would be safer.

Yep, how about having TSA like "security" before you enter the grounds of a school, movie theater, shopping mall?

Tyranny, it's growing and being accepted.

Please tell me you're joking?  Schools are already too much like a prison, we should be getting rid of government ran schools, not turning them into prison camps.

Schools and daycares need top notch security.

Nobody but the teachers should be allowed in classrooms, the room doors should be locked and officers should patrol the hallways like a prison. Teachers should be searched before school. Parents who pick their kid early should with a officer. Gun control wont help. Bad guys will just kill gun owners and take their guns to do these crimes with.

Sounds like his mom was a teacher he killed het and the whole class of kids. :(

I say ban knives: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/12/14/china-knife-attack-school.html

Statements like these are getting old for me.  While I am 100% for the 2nd Amendment, one thing that is so obvious in this particular comparison is that (I won't say all because I don't know for sure), but all or most of the children in China lived.  Yes, it is still tragic, but ask any of the parents in Conn if they would rather have a wounded child or a dead child.  While a knife can certainly be lethal, I think any reasonable person would admit that a gun is more dangerous than a knife in most situations.  I am not talking about a ninja, just a normal person using either.

Schools and daycares need top notch security.

Nobody but the teachers should be allowed in classrooms, the room doors should be locked and officers should patrol the hallways like a prison. Teachers should be searched before school. Parents who pick their kid early should with a officer. Gun control wont help. Bad guys will just kill gun owners and take their guns to do these crimes with.

Sounds like his mom was a teacher he killed het and the whole class of kids. :(

While I understand where you are coming from, the unfortunate truth is that "security" at schools, top notch or not, can't cure what is wrong with the world and more specifically, what is wrong inside the minds of people who commit atrocities like this.

I know that it's a logical response (much more logical than disarming everyone as some are likely to want to do) but "security" at a school is just dealing with a symptom of what is wrong with society.

Adam Lanza 20 was the shooter, not of age to purchase weapons. Ryan Lanza 24, still alive, in custody without being charged may have some answers. 

Sadly, we may have to wait for a OJ Simpson type televised trial to hear the details.

Sickening.

Just posted on Drudge;

Ryan Lanza, 24, brother of gunman Adam Lanza, 20, tells authorities that his younger brother is autistic, or has Asperger syndrome and a “personality disorder.” Neighbors described the younger man to ABC as “odd” and displaying characteristics associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder... MORE... 
Edited by kieefer

It's obvious that gun control will be reinforced by this issue.....

The ban on private sales that this thread primarily turned into

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/56164-armslist-being-sued-by-the-brady-bunch/

may be rather prophetic, I'm afraid -- and ban on private sales may only be the tip of the new iceberg. And no, the fact that so far all these mass shooters did or could have acquired their weapons legally through FFLs won't have much to do with the emotional push to ban everything possible.

Meanwhile, though not a parent, the carnage is nonetheless overwhelming to me on a personally lamentable level.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Glad I would have never went to a school you would like to open.  Schools aren't prisons.  At the end of they day, bad things happen.  This is tragic, but when we get to that level, the crazies have won.  Your child could get hit by a truck on the way home, they could die of a heart attach, or anything.  Let's not turn our country into a police state thinking somehow we would be safer.

its what this world has come to. and its the only way to cut it out. gun control wont stop it.

its not an idea to stop all deaths.  its an idea to stop shootings inside schools.  what else will work? we can take big measures or we can just learn to live with shootings like other countries just live with bomb attacks.  imo this country cant have its cake and eat it to.

we 

I don't know if this has anything to do with the current tragedy, but something that always bothers me is the experts insist that violent movies and video games can't possibly affect someone's mind but companies spend millions of dollars on 30 second commercials to get people to act the way they want (buy something).

Some initial reports that the 20 year old alleged perpetrator is autistic, Asperger's Syndrome and/or OCD personality disorder, and that the guns he used belong to his mother. At 20, don't think he has legal access to pistols, used in the attack. How did he get them from his mother? Surely his mother was aware of his medical conditions.

There are already guns laws on the books that limit guns from 20 year olds with mental issues.

• Like 1

its what this world has come to. and its the only way to cut it out. gun control wont stop it.

its not an idea to stop all deaths.  its an idea to stop shootings inside schools.  what else will work? we can take big measures or we can just learn to live with shootings like other countries just live with bomb attacks.  imo this country cant have its cake and eat it to.

I will take a shooting in a school before I want school to become a prison, so yes, I guess I have to accept bad things can and will happen.  More children will probably die today of cancer today than did in this shooting.  While it is raw emotion now, some perspective will eventually come to the top.  Like I said, these things are tragic, but it is not so prevalent I am willing to give up basic freedom.  

Edited by Hozzie

While I understand where you are coming from, the unfortunate truth is that "security" at schools, top notch or not, can't cure what is wrong with the world and more specifically, what is wrong inside the minds of people who commit atrocities like this.

I know that it's a logical response (much more logical than disarming everyone as some are likely to want to do) but "security" at a school is just dealing with a symptom of what is wrong with society.

school is the only place where im not able to protect my 1st grader,   i would feel better knowing she is safe when i cant be with her for hours.   when she is at home , she is on my watch and at least i could try and do something.

i just find it crazy everyone is talking about guns and not better security.   people are stripped searched to see an inmate in prison  but you can walk into schools with out issue. 

• Like 1

I just joined this forum about 2 weeks ago and I have basically been "lurking" the whole time, but there are some good points made in this thread and I thought I would add a little to it. When I was deployed last year to Afghanistan EVERYONE carried a loaded rifle and most had a grenade. We never had people shooting up "chow halls" because everyone was armed and could defend themselves. Do you think a coward would go into a school and try to shoot someone if they knew within the first 5 rounds being fired they would be on the way to their maker? Absolutely NOT. Someone that would kill a child is a lowlife piece of trash and wouldn't have the balls to be taken down like a man. This truly breaks my heart, and I pray for those children and their families.

I will have to disagree. I just got back from Afghanistan and we have had something like 50 Green on Blue deaths in the last year as a result of Afghans that were supposed to be working with them and I would guess that every one of those service members had a weapon within arms reach if not on their person. 

Edited by Daniel

Liberal Whacks Already Calling For "IMMEDIATE ACTION" Against 2nd Amendment

BLOOMBERG: OBAMA MUST TAKE 'IMMEDIATE ACTION' AGAINST GUNS

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/12/14/Bloomberg-politicizes-shooting

BOSTON MAYOR MENINO: TIME FOR 'NATIONAL POLICY ON GUNS'

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/12/14/Menino-gun-control

Hey Menino, we already have one, it's called the 2nd Amendment!

• Like 1

My wife, a Elementary School Counselor just reminded me of something. Kids that had autism, or any personality mental disorder were kept away from the, dare I say, the normal kids when we grew up in school, 1960/70's.

Today, thanks to liberalism, these kids are riding on the same bus and sitting next to our "normal" sons and daughters. I have to think that this plays a part in why it seems that so many kids with mental issues are going over the edge in our society today and doing so when they get older.

I think this actually puts more pressure on the disabled to "fit-in" and couple that with the violence in games and TV, the removal of God and Country along with the Ten Commandments and any mention of religion leaves these kids without hope and maybe a desire to make a statement. These kids do indeed have special needs that can't be ignored.

Just saying.

* Those TGO parents who have children who are challenged, please, I mean no disrespect and apologize if I offend you. Correct me if I'm way out of line.

• Like 1

This guy couldn't even legally possess a handgun at 20 in Connecticut.  21 is the minimum age to possess a handgun in Connecticut.  He did not have a license to carry the handgun and he committed a felony by carrying it on school grounds in Connecticut.  Also Conn has its own 'assault weapon ban'. 

A lot of kids like this kid instead of being treated for their problems and taken care of are just out and about on their own without help.  It is sad because I would guess a lot of the pan handlers in Memphis roaming around really should be in a state mental institution.

There is no way to implement gun confiscation on a grand scale. However, (hope I'm wrong) but I could see, turn them in or ownership will be a felony, punishable by a $10,000 fine and/or time.

Many sheeple would turn them in.

And many won't, some might even see such a law as the last straw...  banning guns will result in a lot more deaths than was seen in CT today.

• Like 2