How much training have you sought out?

How much training have you sought out?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How much training have you sought out?

• Family/friends taught you how to shoot.
    • NRA intro courses/ Carry permit class
    • Professionally instructed training class
    • Multiple training classes
    • Military training

I disagree sir. There has not been a draft in this country since the late 70s service and the training that goes with it are hardly compulsory. I purposely joined the Marines for just such reasons as their level of training. I would have liked to see that as an option in your poll.

No disrespect intended. just my two cents.

Jim

Edited to reflect.

I also really want to so a force on force/simunition course soon too!

Force on force classes are some of the best bang for your buck training that I've been through.

Mike

3  x 4 Day Defensive Handgun Courses @ Front Sight, Nevada

1     2 Day Handgun Skill Builder                    "   " """    """ """ with Distinquished Graduate Cert.

1     2 Day Tactical Rifle                             "            "          "

1 Day Handgun course with Military Special Op Instructor

2 Day Suarez CQ Gunfighting  with Randy Harris

SRT Marksman Observer Course

SRT Entry Course

PSD School

Tactical Pistol Instructor Course (Team one network)

Various 1-5 day training events hosted by 5TH Group (Thankfully my old BN had a good relationship with group and we would volunteer to be their OpFor in return we got advance training)

Alot of force on force training over the years

I have had numerous hours of private lessons on handgun.  I have taken 3 or 4 Suarez rifle and handgun classes under CruelHandLuke (Randy Harris).  I took a break from shooting last year to focus on other things, but I plan on getting back into it this year.

The class I would like to take most is a rifle marksmanship class.  I would love to be taught how to be incredibly accurate with a rifle including long range distances.

Guest MidTNGlock

I've got a long way to go to catch up with you guys.

I'm taking the carry permit class in early Feb. When I have the funds, I want to get some pistol and shotgun training from Randy Harris and I'd like to attend an Appleseed event for some marksmanship training.

Anybody know if they ever have the Appleseed training in middle TN?

The only training I had aside from basic HCP was in the military, and that was before the world went "tactical" so most people would not count it.  LOL  I have looked into some of the training courses here in West TN, but they are far to expensive for me.  

I spend time on the range, practice my draw, fire from various distances, etc.  I also watch some videos in an effort to study modern pistol fighting stances, etc.  I then apply them to what I am doing on the range to see if they are a fit for me.

Since 2009 I've done -

2 x Combat Focus Shooting and advanced pistol handling with Rob Pincus

With Tactical Response- Fighting Pistol

2 x Advanced Fightiing Pistol

The Fight-Force on force

Immediate Action Medical

Active Shooter Response

The Red Zone

Fighting Shotgun

I've been working thirds for nearly a year and I think I've been out to shoot twice since then as far as I can recall. I'd like to make 2013 the year to change that.

I gave up calling and asking Volunteer Ordinance if they had their range up as it was always that "they were working on it". I'm sure by now it's up and running so I would like to start heading up there on a regular basis. Once a week I think would be nice. I'd also like to try and get in on some local pistol courses as they happen. 

I don't really have any "shooting buddies" anymore, the few guys I did know that did any shooting I don't ever see due to work scheduling. Most of my education on topics have been through reading, videos, or asking questions here (plenty of smart folks with answers :pleased:).  While it's one way of doing it, I don't think it's a good substitute for an actual course with an instructor.

Edited by Spank

"... Most of my education on topics have been through reading, videos, or asking questions here (plenty of smart folks with answers :pleased:).  While it's one way of doing it, I don't think it's a good substitute for an actual course with an instructor."

Exactly,  you really don't know what you don't know.  I shot handguns all my life; thought I knew how until I took a class.  Really opened my eyes.  Practice is OK, but Perfect Practice is much better.  Most people are Unconsciously incompetent, just because of not knowing.  Now that you are Consciously incompetent you can fix it.  Your goal is to be Unconsciously Competent.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

OK..I'm just jealous of all the training so many on here have had. I would LOVE to get into some combat focus training, Handgun 1, Carbine 1...anything really. Unfortunately affordability has been my primary obstacle coupled with time availability. I'm open to suggestions on cost friendly schools and somewhat nearby locations. I need to get the training but have to factor every expense by two as my spouse will expect to join me. 

As per military training, what I have had access to in my service is not to be discounted, but serves a primarily different role than training geared towards civilian carry where the law is more of a factor. And to be honest, as a Field Artilleryman, handgun courses, qualifications and training are non-existent. Our rifle training is not as thorough as it could be and crew served weapons are our best friends. Our primary focus is that 155 Howitzer and I still haven't found a way to conceal it under my jacket. 

[quote name="Stegall Law Firm" post="900612" timestamp="1359598824"]I wonder how cost/availability of ammunition will affect the training industry this year.  People might not be as willing to shoot 1000 rounds when it's 60 cents for one stinkin' round of ball ammo. [/quote] I imagine you'll see a lot of folks using their dedicated .22 for these carbine and pistol courses.
  • Moderators

I wonder how cost/availability of ammunition will affect the training industry this year.  People might not be as willing to shoot 1000 rounds when it's 60 cents for one stinkin' round of ball ammo. 

Several of the big trainers I pay attention to have adjusted their class rules to allow for use of .22 in classes along with reduced total round counts. Some of them have even adjusted their class prices for near term classes. I would say the training industry is either already feeling the pinch or being proactive to minimize the bite. Regardless, it is already affecting the business model.
[quote name="Chucktshoes" post="900786" timestamp="1359623650"] Several of the big trainers I pay attention to have adjusted their class rules to allow for use of .22 in classes along with reduced total round counts. Some of them have even adjusted their class prices for near term classes. I would say the training industry is either already feeling the pinch or being proactive to minimize the bite. Regardless, it is already affecting the business model.[/quote] Ahhhhh, now I understand why Yeager was so mad.
[quote name="mikegideon" post="901005" timestamp="1359653441"]I don't blame Yeager for being mad. I blame him for saying stupid shit on the Internet. I would think that any trainer that teaches carbine courses is bent out of shape right now.[/quote] Yeah, I was just making jokes. I thought he was so emotional due to an estrogen imbalance, but this makes more sense.

I guess most of my training was self-taught?

When I was a kid, I'd tell Dad I was going squirrel hunting... he'd say if I wasn't back in two or three days, they would take the dogs and come looking for me... they never had to. I learned navigation at an early age, later even had a job updating topo maps of Georgia for the USGS.

Navigation is real important to know and many times overlooked, until the GPS stops working!

I've hunted and fished all my life, so finding something to eat has never been a problem. I learned early to build my own traps and snares.

Also to never waste ammo and had to make every shot count and get the game... .22 long rifle was over a penny a piece back then!

By the age of 13, no animal was out of reach of my long bow. I learned to stalk and have patience, And arrows cost a lot more than a .22 bullet!

I guess the best training and the use of tactics I've had started just before my 20th birthday back in '68. I received a letter that said... "Congratulations! You have just won an all expense paid trip to a foreign land... your job will be to kill... or be killed." And that's all I'm saying about that.

But the best training and use of tactics is what you put in your head and making accurate and precise decisions in a moment's notice!

Edited by 1morethan8