walmart and ammo

Stopped by Smyrna WM tonight at 9:50pm just knowing I'd see empty shelves like I've seen every single time that I've been in for last month or so. There were two boxes of WWB .40 all by their lonesome. I looked at my watch and thought "If I go looking around for employees, someone will come behind me and grab my spot." Then I chuckled at the way things are so screwy to make me feel like that. Anyway, caught a stocker and he got someone to get them for me. The ole M&P will get some range expulsion this weekend yeeeehawww!
They had some PDX1 .223, 30-06, and 30-30 if anyone needs any. Edited by rugerla1
Guest ArmyVeteran37214
Wally 5616 got a few boxes in, not sure of contents. Edited by ArmyVeteran37214

Yesterday the Wally world in M'Boro has some tula .223, 00 buck, didn't look for 9mm.. wish it was a 3 box per caliber, I need to pick up my 12ga ammo.. 

12ga should be no problem AS has plenty and I don't think there is a 1 bx limit on shotgun shells . Also 00 buck starting to show up at WM more often. I found 5 rd Mil grade and Win. 15 rd packs last week at two different WM.

12ga should be no problem AS has plenty and I don't think there is a 1 bx limit on shotgun shells . Also 00 buck starting to show up at WM more often. I found 5 rd Mil grade and Win. 15 rd packs last week at two different WM.

Sure but, I'm looking for Slugs and 00. And every time I go in there, I can't seem to find any.. So WM it is.. I need to find me a can or something to store the ammo, I'm slowly picking up.. 

I was up in SW Va. today at Pounding Mill, Va on business and checked the Wally SuperCenter.  I was looking for 9mm, well none was on the shelf so I asked the clerk.  He said "What are you looking for?"  I said " 9mm"  He unlocked a cabinet under the counter and pulled out a Federal 100 rd bulk pack.  I  said " I'll talk 3"  Total was $67.32  ( 21.37 each plus tax)  I could not see what was in the cabinet. Guys if you don't see it ask the Clerk nicely..

I bought 100 pack of 12 ga birdshot yesterday. Figger I'll start blowing stuff up at close range some for fun, as the rest of my stock dwindles.

They had a bunch of that, but 'course you can only get one at a time.

- OS

Guys if you don't see it ask the Clerk nicely..

Couldn't agree more! They stopped putting ammo in the main case at mine as well (or so it usually seems). That and Donald (Tuesday-Saturday 7am sporting goods guys) and I are becoming best friends! I feel like I need to take him coffee or a donut every morning I stop in. Those employees are a little more regular than other departments. 

I'm not sure I buy into the "Hide it under the counter and make them beg for it" way of selling ammo. Makes it way to easy to sell it to only a select group of friends or relatives while everyone else only sees the empty ammo case. Just my :2cents:

But I have to admit I'm on a first name basis with all 3 of the sporting goods clerks at our WM.

Edited by crossfire
Guest ArmyVeteran37214
Wally 5616 got a small shipment, gonna try and see what arrived.

Edit.....
.380, 7mm, 9mm, .223 Edited by ArmyVeteran37214

I bought 100 pack of 12 ga birdshot yesterday. Figger I'll start blowing stuff up at close range some for fun, as the rest of my stock dwindles.

They had a bunch of that, but 'course you can only get one at a time.

- OS

When I was in the local Wally the other day they still had no handgun ammo but they did have a pretty good supply of Winchester Super X 00 Buckshot (I bought 2 of the 15 round boxes.)  They also seemed to have a pretty good supply of the 100 round packs of 12 gauge bird/target/field loads (those were scarce for a little while.)

Because shotgun ammo supplies seem to be trickling back in and because I honestly believe it will be the Summer of 2014 (at least) before ammo gets back to 'normal', I think I am starting to think along the same lines as you, Oh Shoot.  I honestly like shotguns but, strangely, don't usually have as much fun shooting them as I would think.  I am actually considering buying another 12 gauge to set up as mostly a 'fun' gun - just to bump up the 'enjoyment' factor - and maybe a sometimes truck gun.  I am thinking maybe a pistol-grip only pump (I have shot pistol gripped pumps - I know they are of limited use, which is why I don't want to convert any of my current ones which already have their own purposes - but they are fun) or a short-barreled, side by side double.  Right now - especially in the current market - the pump has a little bit of a lead over the double if only because I could get into a pump like I want for a good bit less $$$.

I'm leaning toward another shotgun also. I have a 1897 pump riot gun and was thinking of a 500 with a pistol-grip. But the more I think about it I like the sxs coach gun better. Who puts out a good one that won't break the bank?

I'm leaning toward another shotgun also. I have a 1897 pump riot gun and was thinking of a 500 with a pistol-grip. But the more I think about it I like the sxs coach gun better. Who puts out a good one that won't break the bank?

There's a Chinese made one with hammers and double trigger that folks say is fine, that's the cheapest I know. Have seen them at gunshows, seems for around three bills best I remember?, at least pre panic, seemed pretty solid, and purty too.

Somebody will chime in with the importer brand probably, can't do much searching on dialup this week.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Why does it seem like some walmarts will get a crap ton of stuff in, like the Clinton walmart, and others like they Chapman walmart never have anything.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Someone probably doesn't want to order it.

Why does it seem like some walmarts will get a crap ton of stuff in, like the Clinton walmart, and others like they Chapman walmart never have anything.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Maybe serviced by different warehouses?  During the last ammo shortage, I asked a Walmart Sporting Goods employee (I think she was the Dept. Manager but can't swear to it) at the Rockwood store that same, basic question regarding her location and a few, other specific locations.  I was able to find .380 ammo at Rockwood when the other stores I visited hadn't had it in weeks.  She said, "They get their stock from a different warehouse."  Now, before anyone gets too excited, I was in the Rockwood store yesterday and they are pretty much as cleaned out as the other locations - although I did manage to pick up a couple of 'value packs' of Remington 12 gauge Sluggers which I haven't seen at other WM locations, lately.

Now, why do some warehouses seem to have more ammo to send out than others?  I have no idea and the employee I asked really wasn't sure, either.

On another, related note has anyone else noticed that plain, old 2 3/4 inch small game/field loads (like #4 and #6 shot) is as scarce at Walmart as .22LR?  They have the 2 3/4 inch #8 'target' loads and they have #6 in 3 inch Nitro Express Magnum.  They even, sometimes, have 2 3/4 inch 00 Buckshot loads but no 2 3/4 inch in #4 or #6.  That just strikes me as odd.

Edited by JAB

They even, sometimes, have 2 3/4 inch 00 Buckshot loads but no 2 3/4 inch in #4 or #6.  That just strikes me as odd.

Saw good bit of #4 for a while there before turkey season. I suspect that's about the only time they stock it?

- OS