How to open a can, without tools

Thank you for sharing! I have to try it and I have plenty of Tuna.... I think I will wait until lunch time to give a test run. 

Can't wait....Tuna for breakfast! I feel like a kid that just learned to tie a shoe.

Edited by EMB145

I was also disappointed in the knife.  I could have opened it with the knife without grinding it down first, they are not that thick.  Weakening it first is a GREAT idea but claiming no tools is a stretch.

The shoe trick is more like it.   I am impressed. 

Caster, them bottles are tough.  Very tough.   I have yet to break one and wife used to make a lot of wine, stuff happens.  Drop, launch the cork and make a mess, but break? You gotta hit the side hard to break one.  Its why they make a good emergency weapon if you bust the butt end off, they are durable enough for it even broken.

Edited by Jonnin
[quote name="robtattoo" post="888872" timestamp="1358534187"]C'mon guys, he only used the knife to pry the lid open. I'm pretty sure a couple more rubs on the curb & his thumbnail would've worked.[/quote] Seriously. Sometimes the internet peanut gallery acts like it cost them something to watch. Reminds me of the two old men from the Muppet Show... Anyway, thanks for posting.

Good watch. Pretty simple execution, could definitely come in  handy. I know there have been times I didn't have a can opener so I had to improvise, never came up with such an easy solution either. (Generally came up with a cut finger from prying too hard).

EDIT: also for the wine bottle opening:

Cavitation. Same principle will blow the bottom out of the bottle if you leave a space in the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77gWkl0ZUC8

and an XKCD comic that would explain whats happening, with an amusing premise attached

http://what-if.xkcd.com/6/

Edited by cj0e

OK I guess that would work with a stick instead of a knife.

However if I have my knife I will also most likely have my can opener.  Ever since I was a kid, I know dad carried one of these and still does.  They seem to last forever, at least the one he has.  They are cheap and belong with any kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Survival-Opener-Military-Model/dp/B005IDQW3S/ref=pd_sim_hg_7

P-51 as in Vontar's link even better:

G_I_Type_P_51_Can_Openers_5259_3.jpg

I got both kinds, but I don't use them. When we go camping we just use the hand crank type.

Camping is good training to find out what ways you can do the normal things using different methods.

I believe many just make it hard on themselves? I can survive using only a knife... but I want it as easy and comfortable

as possible

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I thought everybody had a P-38?

I do, but this just replaced it. I am always looking for a way to replace gear with skills, even something as simple as a can opener. I'd do this until liquid started leaking out of the can if I didn't even have a knife. Quite a handy little tip.