My heart is broken!

CQB Elite

Today we had to put our 13 year old Chocolate Lab, Chewbacca, to sleep. We think he had a brain tumor and this past Thursday he started having seizures. The vet upped his dose of Prednisone and wanted to watch him over the weekend. Today he had more seizures, 7 of them in about 4 hours.

Chewy was our first child and we were so lucky to have him in our lives.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

• Like 3
  • Administrator

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Got something in my eyes right about there.

• Like 2
Thank you all! We got the last pick of the litter when he was born but The Lord was looking out for us. He had the best personality of all of them. When the breeder took them to their first vet visit, Chewy was the one puppy that sat up front of their truck while his brothers and sisters sat in the back seat whimpering. When they got to the vet Chewy got right up on the exam table and went with the flow. His litter mates all wanted nothing to do with it.

We got him with intentions of showing him for conformation. Unfortunately it turned out he had bad food and other allergies. One of the things he was allergic to was chicken. You can imagine it was hard finding food that did not have chicken in it. He was also allergic to pine pollen. We lived in the FL Panhandle so pine pollen really ate him up.

Anyway, thanks to everyone here for your kind words and listening to my rant on. You TGO'ers are like my extended family.

BTW, Chewy was a staunch supporter of our 2nd Amendment Rights!
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear about your loss.  You definitely have our condolances. 

About 7 years ago we lost our 14 year old chocolate lab.  We still have pictures of him up around the house.

The 2 rescue dogs we have now are great additions to our family, but they will never replace him in our hearts.

So sorry for your loss. I had a lab through college and after wards Gypsy was a great dog.

Please remeber me in your thoughts as well my lab pit mix, Pepper, has a growth that doesn't look good. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow but I am out of work so I don't know if I will be able to afford to do eerything that may be required.

So sorry for your loss. I had a lab through college and after wards Gypsy was a great dog.
Please remeber me in your thoughts as well my lab pit mix, Pepper, has a growth that doesn't look good. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow but I am out of work so I don't know if I will be able to afford to do eerything that may be required.

We will keep you and Pepper in our prayers!

The sadly negative side is, 13 years is somewhere around the average lifespan for our best friends, and even a bit on the high side for larger breeds.

The positive is, both y'all and Chewie indeed had that priceless 13 years in the first place.

"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at at." Tough to accept right now, I know, but I believe that.

- OS

A dog is the only love money can buy....I feel for you.....I had to put my Boxer down after 8 years with him. Max had cancer and he was starting to really suffer from it. I can still hear him pass away sometimes......for me time made it easier to deal with, but never made it better. My wife and I had to put her 12 year old King Shepard down last year....she still cries but getting another puppy, at the right time, soothed alot of pain. Mourn your loss then relive the joys....another pup will need you and come to you when the time is right...