AR 15 Home defense

jsgabbbb

Ok. So I have heard time and time again that an Ar is an excellent choice for home defense. I've heard that the 223/556 round doesn't over penetrate too many walls and that walls cause tumbling which helps over penetration to your neighbors bedroom next door.
However, seeing this http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s662/jsg78/photo_zps733bf0be.jpg
Makes me a little nervous about the Ar for home defense.
That's a 3/16" hardened steel target made for handguns up to 44mag.
The seller, at a gun show, told me its made for handguns and 22 but can be used with rifles if 100+ yards.
Well that was done at 100 yards with Pmc223. The holes are about 75-90% through with a single edge shot completely through.

Therefore, how, in terms of velocity and ballistics, could an ar not end up in your neigjbor's kid's room next door?
I'm sticking with my pump mossberg with 7 shot just in case.
What say you?
M855 would be a poor choide for home defense. I have 60gr Hornady TAP loaded in mine. Look at how M193 fragments in gel leaving less mass for over penetration. The box-o-truth (google it) has some tests vs drywall.

Birdshot is for birds.
There is a article written by an Atlanta medical examiner on this site somewhere that describes the 12ga shotgun as the most devastating round for self defense. I am on mobile and can't find and link but it is a very interesting read. He says it doesn't really matter what load at close range; home defense. <br /><br /><br />JTM<br />Sent from my sending thing

For home defense I would stick to my Mossberg 12 ga. Then my G23, then the Shield. My AR is limited to multiple attackers and the ( if it ever happens) revolt.

At last resort i guess I could bring out my .22 rifle( and yes i have ammo).

For me my AR is for varmints (2 or 4 legged) outside the house, external home defense.  CQB tactics favor short weapons anyway so a handgun (or SMG) would be preferred for working a house.  G17 and other various handguns are my preference indoors.  

You could use frangible ammo if you want to use an AR indoors.  I don't have experience with that indoors but its supposed to break apart on impact, more or less.  

If we are talking about nano seconds to react, I am going to reach to the closest gun I have, then if I have more time, eeny, meeny, miny, moe, which gun in the safe will blow a gargantuan hole in the idiot that is threatening my family.  Noise and pentration will likely not be on my mind in those adrenal filled moments. 

Edited by Runco

Have loaded shottie under the mattress, and XD sticking out at the head of it, not to mention handguns stashed here and there around the condo, but the ARs stay in the closet.

Given time to think and choose, shotgun would be first, otherwise, one of the handguns. I see no real clear advantage of putting an AR into the mix.

- OS

• Like 1

Ive been thinking the same thing. At the range ive messed around with some 55gr. fmj. At around ten yards they would go through a computer paper box packed with water soaked phone books like it was nothing,

The same box of phone books stopped a round of Winchester 45gr. jacketed HP at about the six inch mark.

Whats your guys thought of using these for HD?

Ive been thinking the same thing. At the range ive messed around with some 55gr. fmj. At around ten yards they would go through a computer paper box packed with water soaked phone books like it was nothing,

The same box of phone books stopped a round of Winchester 45gr. jacketed HP at about the six inch mark.

Whats your guys thought of using these for HD?

Using .45 hollowpoint? El kabongo mucho.

- OS

I do not believe that the round exists that will stop cold in drywall but stop an attacker.  I have shot at drywall with a variety of things, its been a while, but I am *firmly* convinced that anything that will stop an attacker will go thru it and continue with lethal force. Maybe a 380 or smaller pistol will slow down enough in drywall to not kill, or a .25, but I would not bet anyone's life on it!

That said, if you do not live in an apartment complex, your bullets should be passing through exterior walls of a home --- once to exit your home, once to enter your neighbors.   I do not belive any reasonable defense weapon will penetrate that, with the exception of a shotgun using slugs and magnum loads, which I do not recommend. A big rifle might do it too, a mosin with steel core, or a 308 AR 10 or something.  If its a problem, don't use the big stuff in your home.

The noise and bulk make an AR in 223 a questionable choice for defense indoors for most homes.   The flash too, for standard guns, but you can hide that or reduce it with specialty ammo.  IMHO its not a practical choice -- its main advantage, high capacity, can be achieved with a number of more suitable guns, including a glock.

With properly loaded rounds the AR makes a fine home defense gun. You wouldn't use fmj in your 9mm or .45 either that's just common sense not to use it in a rifle.

I will say the one time I have had to grab a gun at my house the AR was what I grabbed and the look of it and the blinding sure fire light sent the trespasser running for the hills without incident. (Granted this was outside....). I would grab it again without hesitation or my glock 20 which I dare say would penetrate more so than the AR.

With properly loaded rounds the AR makes a fine home defense gun. You wouldn't use fmj in your 9mm or .45 either that's just common sense not to use it in a rifle.

So what is the finest store-bought home defense load for an AR?

An AR is ridiculous for home defense as is an AK or any other rifle, unless the rooms in your house are 50 yards long.

Shotgun or handgun.  Take your pick.

I guess that's why no police agency or military force uses an AR pattern rifle for CQB.
I suggest definitely using some kind of hollow point in an AR. I just got back from a co workers house and his friend had an AD in his living room with an AR. The round went through the living room wall, into a closet, through the closet door, into the next wall and out through the brick somewhere. I wouldn't have believed it I hadn't seen the holes myself. And it was just 55gr fmj.