TSA not accepting HCP as valid ID?

Here’s the list of what they accept. I guess you could make the argument that it’s “Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)” But I doubt most TSA agents would change their mind. Could be a gun hater that just saw the opportunity to mess with you.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

I carry a U.S. Passport when I travel; its accepted anywhere ID is required.

Edited by DaveTN
Guest RedLights&Sirens
Stool sample might work. If the guy with the rubber gloves is gentle, you could always ask for a paper bag while youre in the back room.

Just thought I would add that this comment is directed at the TSA not the OP Edited by RedLights&Sirens

I had the same issue flying out of Knoxville back in February. TSA agent said they couldn't accept it but thought it was stupid because he also had a HCP and it was far more certain that it was actually me since I had to get a background check to get the permit. But here's where it's strange. On the way back I flew out of Ft. Lauderdale and the TSA agent accepted it no problem. Even looking at their acceptable ID's, a photo HCP is acceptable as it is a state photo ID. It just depends on who the idiot is in charge has "ruled" for their airport. So next time I fly out (in June) from Knoxville if they have issues, I am going to push back some.

Other than principle, why does it matter? Is there anyone who flies that only has a HCP and not a DL? Unless you're DL is broken I don't see the big deal.

I also use my passport when flying, even if it's not int'l. I put my wallet, along with phone, keys and pocket litter into my carry on so that my pockets are empty with the exception of my passport when I go through security. It makes everything much easier to not be emptying your pockets as you get up to the scanner. Edited by TMF
  • Like 1

I had the same issue flying out of Knoxville back in February. TSA agent said they couldn't accept it but thought it was stupid because he also had a HCP and it was far more certain that it was actually me since I had to get a background check to get the permit. But here's where it's strange. On the way back I flew out of Ft. Lauderdale and the TSA agent accepted it no problem. Even looking at their acceptable ID's, a photo HCP is acceptable as it is a state photo ID. It just depends on who the idiot is in charge has "ruled" for their airport. So next time I fly out (in June) from Knoxville if they have issues, I am going to push back some.

"Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)"

Maybe some wiggle room either way in interpreting that.

- OS

• Admin Team
Flying out of Houston not to long ago I handed them what I thought was my ID, but was surprised when the TSA agent handed it back to me with my ticket and it was actually my check card with my picture on it.

They let me through, thus adding to my skepticism about the TSA adding any value to the equation.

First-- not all state's gun permits are created equal-- we all know that. Different requirements in different states, as well as some states' permits have photos, and some do not.

Second-- to quote TSA's website: "Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)"

-- an HCP is NOT an ID card. It is a permit with (in TN) a photo on it. State ID cards are issued by TDOS/DMV to those who request them-- usually if they don't have a DL.

Third-- Sequestration at work. I suspect that TSA (like any other bureaucracy) is trying to make things as difficult and inconvenient as possible. Most of the grunts in TSA shirts are just following orders.... (like another uniformed "security force" used to do---back in Germany 70-odd years ago).

If you don't already have a passport, get one. You'll soon need one anyway when Big Sis and Big Bro ask for it at the security checkpoints at each state line... :tinfoil: :stir:

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1

Makes perfect sense since you have to present a damn birth certificate/passport and get a background check to get the damn thing. Morons.....all of them.

Not in every state. The handgun permit criteria are not standardized. I can take you to a certain sheriff's office in Alabama where you can get a "pistol permit" with in about 30 minutes time as long as you can demonstrate residency in that county and you don't have a criminal record.. Currently, in Alabama you have 67 different pistol permits, as they are all issued by the individual county sheriffs, and the do NOT all look alike.

Edited by tartanphantom

A lot of clerks at the Clarksville Walmart will not let me buy beer with my HCP used as I.D. They say it is not proper I.D. I asked then what the heck doyou guys use for the dead beats who come in here and buy ciggarettes and beer who dont have anything ?  She wouldnt give me an answer then . I explained to her it is a state issued I.D. and that I had to show all kinds of documents  to get it and be finger printed and it is also the same number as my Driver License. She called a manager over to us and the manager applogized for the lady to me and made the transaction. I wasnt trying to make a big deal but I use whatever I. D. I have in the top of my see through section of my wallet.

Edited by tercel89

Feds aren't gonna vary state by state in requirements.

Agree but that wasn't my point. Since the OP said it (HCP) had been accepted many times before I was just indicating that the HCP was, imho, better than a DL which is also issued separately state by state. I travel by air weekly and am not surprised at anything when it comes to the TSA (Thousands Standing Around).    :-\

• Like 1

I slapped my DL and Passport in his hand, and yes, it is a matter of principal.  In TN is the permit not issued by the DOS which last thing I knew was our Department of Motor Vehicles?

You're absolutely right. And don't forget that now it's DOS & Homeland Security. I feel much safer just typing the words...

I slapped my DL and Passport in his hand, and yes, it is a matter of principal.  In TN is the permit not issued by the DOS which last thing I knew was our Department of Motor Vehicles?

Sorta. Driver Services (DMV) issues driver's licenses and the Handgun Permit office issues HCPs, and are separate departments within the TN Dept of Safety and Homeland Security. So is the Highway Patrol, but it doesn't issue either one.

That's what I meant about wiggle room on interpretation either way.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Of course an HCP isn't sufficient to let you on a plane...it's more likely to identify you as someone who shouldn't be allowed on a plane since we all know that anyone who would want to go around armed is just a few brain cells shy of being a domestic terrorist.

If you also have prior military service and are white and over 40 you are probably on a no-fly list. ;)

Edited by RobertNashville
I slapped my DL and Passport in his hand, and yes, it is a matter of principle.

But if you have other valid forms of ID, ones that are specifically listed by the TSA as valid, why care that they don't accept a form of ID that isn't listed as valid and is subject to interpretation by a brain dead TSA employee? That's like getting mad at them for not knowing whether a tomato is a fruit or vegetable... or mineral. Try to manage your expectations when dealing with those folks. They aren't known for their above average intelligence ya know.
  • Like 2

And you think a TSA agent in TX should know that? If you had a passport and a DL, and you handed him a gun permit; I don’t see the “principal" issue in that. I’m not knocking what you did, I may have done the same thing if I was bored just for the entertainment value. biggrin.gif Made for good forum story.

But if you have other valid forms of ID, ones that are specifically listed by the TSA as valid, why care that they don't accept a form of ID that isn't listed as valid and is subject to interpretation by a brain dead TSA employee? That's like getting mad at them for not knowing whether a tomato is a fruit or vegetable... or mineral. Try to manage your expectations when dealing with those folks. They aren't known for their above average intelligence ya know.

Pretty much sums it up