OhShoot almost got shot today, idiots don't need to own guns

I've seen this numerous times at Norris. I'll say this, I'm not a huge fan of range officers because they tend to go over the top, but it does create a safer environment. 

The outdoor range I go to in Lakeland always has a range officer on duty. He's not afraid to chew some ass when he needs to.

• Like 1

Glad that worked out in a positive and not the other way around. I had a conversation more than once with someone regarding unsafe practices at a local range. It did not sink in. I finally had to put it in writing and leave a note on their car when I left. Sometimes things in writing have more impact.

If they are reading this, they know who they are.

You did the right thing. Maybe what he did will sink in after he gets home and it will become a teachable moment for him. You might have saved his wife's life or a kid's life down the road.

Some people have to be yelled at to get through to them... sad, but it is what it is.

Edited by jgradyc

Had the moron actually fired off the shot, OhShoot would have pulled through.  He's to mean to die.  

Duh! He's already been shot once. This guy is lucky Mac didn't pull out his High Point and bust a cap in him.  :stick:

Dolo, guys like you are the only ones I dare to shoot around. I trust just about everyone on this site. Glad you "pointed" him in the right direction (both figuratively and literally). You a good man to care about you fellow shooter like that. Thanks for the invite and literally having our backs. Was a ton of fun today.

Yeah, I was mainly just hanging out with the group today, only shot a few rounds through Dolo's chrono to check what my 10.5" AR was getting with various rounds compared to 16" one.

I saw the guy start walking all the way down from the end of the line toward us, somewhat older fart than myself, caught my eye 'cause he was holding a cocked hammered pistol straight up in air. But since he was holding it barrel up and not even with firing grip when I first saw him, guess my mind went "well, whatever he's doing I guess he's being safe enough" and then was interacting with LenoirGunner or Garufa by the time he actually got to Dolo, behind my back.

By time I turned around, Dolo already had pistol in hand, so I didn't get the adrenaline dump he did but felt pretty queasy once I understood what had gone on.

Another lesson learned, always watch anyone double damn close when they leave a firing line with a gun in hand!

And a very much beau coup public thanks to Gordon for perhaps saving my frigging life! Doesn't seem like much just looking at the words, but I assure you I'd like to kick around for a while yet!

Duh! He's already been shot once. This guy is lucky Mac didn't pull out his High Point and bust a cap in him.  :stick:

Best I remember, folks were pretty much evenly divided regarding the benign outcome of that. :)

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/27248-ohshoot-got-shot/?hl=%2Bohshoot+%2Bgot+%2Bshot

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I don't know how he would have fared being shot in the back. It is a fact that bullets bounce right of his noggin :)

If this is a private club, is anyone going to report this incident to get this idiot's membership revoked or a severe ass chewing and safety training?

Well, it's private, the Loyal Order of Moose, which is a pretty casually run affair all in all. We don't even have a secret handshake and let the Masons actually secretly run the world. :)

I doubt there's an official channel for a formal complaint or anything, guess we could find the actual Lodge officers and make a stink. Hell, he might be one for all I know!

I admit I've perhaps become a bit complacent there, since it's not a "public" range, and even though it's unsupervised, have tended to give folks a bit more credence for safety since this was the first scary thing I've known anyone to do, whereas we'd see bad stuff almost every trip at the Norris range where we used to hang . Obviously that point of view changed today.

- OS

Not sure if complaining would do any good.I think they would not do anything anyway..because its a "at your own risk" kinda deal..I know I will not stick around if that guy shows up again.He seems to be one of those people who just doesnt get it..

There was another person there ( I guess with his elderly dad and wife,mother,perhaps) who kept rolling his eyes and shaking his head at  us..I guess he didnt appreciate the vast superior firepower we send downrange..lol.

His dad was actualy kinda nice..

Other than that..It was fun.

I go to the range I go to because it’s unsupervised. On the rifle side every time I have been there with multiple shooters we have worked as a team, made the line safe if someone needs to do something or has a problem. The pistol side is a different story. I’ve had people walk right down and start changing their targets while I was shooting. I stop and wait and wonder what they are thinking. I guess it’s because there are a lot more amateurs with handguns.

Glad to hear a tragedy was averted, and no one went home with extra holes. Most people are clueless when comes to firearm safety, that is why when I am home and go shooting i try to choose stations far away from everyone else.

Several years ago an incident like this ended a long time friendship of mine, one of my shooting buddies was in his late 70's & had started to get sloppy with safe handling & one afternoon experienced a stopage, set his rifle in his lap, barrel pointed directly at me in the next shooting lane, to which I reacted like anyone else with a loaded rifle pointed at them would have reacted.

His response was "what are you getting so worked up about? I've been handling guns & shooting since before you were born!"

I calmly packed up my gear, said my goodbyes to him & his wife and never showed up again for our regular Thursday afternoon range outings.

It was a hard thing to do because I really enjoyed the time I spent with them, I got a call from his wife a few months later letting me know that he had passed & asking me to come say my final-final farewell's.

He had been handling & shooting guns so long that he had simply forgotten just how dangerous that they can be.

I loved that man (no homo) but I simply couldn't risk being around him while firearms were present anymore, not when his reaction was like it was, things might had been different if he'd appologized & immediately started being more careful but unfortunately that's not what happened.

So it's not only the newbies that we've got to be wary of, every single one of us has to be careful not to get to comfortable or to confident, we've always got to remind ourselves as well as remind others to always always always follow & obey the 4 rules.

A.) Treat all guns as if they are always loaded, whether they are unloaded or not.

B.) Never point the muzzle of a firearm at anything that you are not willing to destroy.

C.) Keep your finger off of the trigger until your sights are aligned on the target.

D.) Always be sure of your target & what is behind it.

Please be safe folks! & please do your best to help other people be safe!

I (much like the rest of our fellow TGO'ers) am very thankful that Dolo was there to prevent OhShoot from being accidently shot in his back, hopefully the newbie learned a very valuable lesson & will be much more careful when handling firearms from now on ...

Stuff like this makes me want to offer up free firearm safety classes.
  • Like 1
Richard I know where you are coming from ... sadly some people just don't realize how deadly the tools they use can be (whether its firearms, or cars, or whatever). It just takes one mistake to change everything.

Recently I've had a couple of friends ask me about how to field strip their glocks, every time I show someone I start with
1) unload the weapon, verify chamber is empty, no mag inserted. (Finger off trigger, pointed in a safe direction)
2) Verify again the weapon is cleared (Finger off Trigger, pointed in a safe direction)
3) close slide and point weapon in a safe direction and dry fire .....
etc you know the rest.

As obvious as it is to myself (and other people) I still describe the process starting from clearing the weapon.

Edit: Just to add I am so grateful that Ohshoot is ok, and that Dolomite had the situational awareness to do what he did. Edited by JGunner
Guest Emtdaddy1980
Glad to hear it came out ok. I've been wanting to get my wife who is not a gun-person to go shoot with me at Prentice Cooper just to get a feel for it and if nothing else be familiar with the weapon in the house. This thread has reminded me how much of a sheepdog I need to be when others are shooting...........may have to just hit up a buddy with land instead.

I think ANYONE would have, and could have, done what I did. If any normal person would have seen a person handling a weapon in a dangerous manner they would have stepped in. Always be aware of your surroundings and be prepared to step in or say something if it needs to happen. 

I try to be aware of my surroundings, either at the store or at the range. Anyone who has shot with me knows I walk around a lot and don't shoot as much as many people there. I rarely get focused on shooting to a point I am unaware. And generally when I am shooting in public my wife isn't and she is watching Anyone who knows my wife knows she is not afraid to say something if it needs to be said. We are both concerned with safety but she is even more safety conscience that I could ever be.

I shoot at the Haffner range in (or near) Thompson Station. Nice people and several range officers, but no signs reminding people of safety rules. I see people messing with their guns while others are setting up their targets and there is no excuse for that.

I have wanted to join the Moose for the range benefits, but after reading this ???. Glad no one was hurt. An idiot with an attitude and gun is someone to be avoided. Like others i have seen my share at Norris also.

Talking about the blood draws, I am waiting for a lawyer to make the claim he is representing the defendant and  defendant's blood under the 5th amendment, in that a person shall not be "compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself."  Claiming the blood is the same person.  Therefore the blood does not want to testify against himself.

Edited by vontar
  • Administrator

This is quite simply why I hardly go to the range anymore, forsaking it for shooting on private property when I'm able. 

I will say this too:

With the Great Gun Rush of 2013 thanks to Obama and his army of assclowns, we now have firearms in the hands of people who have never so much as thought about holding a gun before, let alone any practical instruction on how to safely use them  These people are going to be everywhere and some of them will handle their handguns with all of the care and skill of mentally handicapped monkeys trying to open a box of cornflakes with a claw hammer.

Be vigilant when you're at the range.  VERY vigilant.

• Like 1
I was at an Advanced Handgun class a few years ago and the man on the extreme right of the line had brought a compact 1911 that he was having jamming issues with. I already had my eye on him b/c he looked to be in his 70's and was shaky as hell. I mean like Muhammed Ali shaky, not just doddering a little. We'd just holstered back up when I looked down the line and saw him trying to muscle the slide back and he momentarily swept the line. I shouted over, "Hey, watch your muzzle" and he apologized.

A couple of other students thanked me and said they'd help keep an eye on him and the instructor helped him clear his jam and we went on with class. Not 5 minutes later, he's doing it again and using so much force he's visibly shaking. His finger is firmly depressing the trigger to aid his grip. I grabbed 2 of the 3 guys between us yelled "LOOK OUT- GUN!" That worked everybody cleared a hole and I circled around and told him to put his gun away before he kills somebody.

He handed his gun to the instructor and they talked a minute and the man left with no explanation from either. After the class I said to the instructor, I hope you didn't have to give him his money back, but he did and had asked him to leave.

I was doing some training when we had a "professional" get sent home. This guy chatted himself up as a consumate professional the day before training. Then when we got to the range things went terribly wrong for him and could have for the rest of us. During the course of the first few hours he had been warned several times to quit sweeping people. Every time he would reload he held the gun right in front of his face, like he was instructed, but rather than have the muzzle pointed up he had it level and pointed straight down the line. On top of that everytime he dropped a mag, which was often, he would bend over and to keep his one legged balance he would point his gun hand to the rear with the pistol flagging instructors. So after several times of sweeping the line, and sweeping the instructors, an instructor called him over. They chatted for a minute or two and I never seen the guy again. Crazy part was the instructors gave him plenty of chances but the guy never got it. At one point before they sent him home they pulled him off to the side to do some dry run mag changes for like 30 minutes.

I can accept ignorance, if it's teachable. I can understand a one-time oops, if nobody gets hurt and it doesn't happen again.

I cannot accept complacency and inattentiveness. There's no room for it, especially when firearms are concerned.