I hate chiggers.....

I got a major case one time, and read up on them. Chiggers suck, but they take time. If you get ass deep in chiggers, and take a hot shower within a couple of hours, you're fine. If you leave them there overnight, you're screwed for about 6 weeks.

I hate chiggers too. If I think there's any chance I've been exposed, I'll find a shower. 

You generally don't remember too much about having childhood maladies, but when I was 7 or so, I got the worse case of chiggers you can get. Solid bands around waist and ankles, and other areas here and there. Tromping around edges of a flood stage Reelfoot Lake fishing with my pop. Don't remember him getting any at all. Will never forget that level of agony, remember taking a hair brush to them, which of course just made it worse, bloody and weepy. And still incredibly itchy for at least a week.

Can remember going to some doctor, who recommended the ole paint 'em with nail polish trick. Which of course turned out to be just old wives tale, since the chiggers do not burrow under the skin or anything as per common lore.

Had beau coup localized areas in all the years since, but nothing to hold a candle to that time.

During my summer stint killing hardwoods for Bowater, the crew was issued sulfur powder, and apparently that does actually work (to prevent, not cure).  I used it some off and on in years after that too, when clearing and cutting wood in bushy areas, and never got the first bite any time I thought to use it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

dont fergit seed ticks.....save some hate for them burgers too.

Seed ticks are the worst. I don't know if I'm allergic or something, but a bite from them is a month of pain. I once was bitten by several dozen in one sitting; I didn't sleep well for several weeks.

I haven't had a case of Chiggers or ticks in a long time. Mainly bcause I spray on anything with Deet in it and wear light colored clothing when out in the brush. ( please note, i rarely ever am out in the brush on foot, I prefer the atv).

But i hate them creepy srawly things that suck the blood out of ya and make ya itch. Mosquitoes are also on that list.

You generally don't remember too much about having childhood maladies ...

- OS

Very true, OS.  I will, however, confess to one childhood memory: squating once, about age 6 or 7, in a fine crop of poison ivy.  To this day, I am dang near expert at locating -- and avoiding -- poison oak, poison ivy, and poison sumac. Some things just make such an impression on a young mind that one NEVER forgets. 

Poison Ivy is the one that I remember. I cut class with a friend and we played in the woods behind the school. Actually it was a whole week, but that is another story.

I wound up using the makeshift facilities, and wound up with the worst case of Poison Ivy ever. All over my crotch.

It was agony.

Chiggers were really bad too, Momma liked to put clear fingernail polish on `em but I swear that never did anything for them. I guess Oh SHoot is right and it was just an old wives tale.

I was walking through the woods in Alabama once and best we can figure I got into an area of newly hatched ticks. They were everywhere and I picked as many as I could off of me before grabbing the tape. Even after all the picking I had already did I still managed to pull several hundred off of me before jumping in the shower. Pretty much everyone in my squad had the same experience.

My wife and I were at Big Ridge State park and got into a bunch of tiny ticks. Not as many as I had gotten into but still enough to make you itch for the rest of the day thinking about it.

I can never recall getting chiggers as a kid or an adult. We used to call some white flowery weeds chigger plants and avoid them. Not sure if it is true but I doubt it.

I have had several serious esposures to poison ivy. Since then I do not get it very bad. One time when I was a kid we were burning brush piles and I got some in my lungs. It was pretty serious. My wife can roll around in the stuff and it doesn't bother her at all but she is not from here in the US so maybe that has something to do with it.

I haven't had a case of Chiggers or ticks in a long time. Mainly bcause I spray on anything with Deet in it and wear light colored clothing when out in the brush. ( please note, i rarely ever am out in the brush on foot, I prefer the atv).

But i hate them creepy srawly things that suck the blood out of ya and make ya itch. Mosquitoes are also on that list.

That's all fine and good, but if I spray anything with deet in it my throat will close up faster than you will believe.
Guest Emtdaddy1980
[quote name="Wyldk2" post="981899" timestamp="137066492

But i hate them creepy srawly things that suck the blood out of ya and make ya itch. Mosquitoes are also on that list.[/quote]

Are you referring to liberals?

The week before we left for Philmont Scout Ranch in June 2005, I sat down in a nest of those critters when we were doing our last practice hike here in Williamson County. Had a band around my waist and all up and down my legs as well as the nether regions.

I.WAS.MISERABLE.

I don't sit down in the grass ANYWHERE anymore.

Edited by daddyo

As a kid, I don't think Chiggers liked me very much.  I only recall one bite and it didn't last long.  However now days, I would not want to test my luck any further.

Chiggers don't bite. They use digestive juices to burn a feeding tunnel into your skin. That's why it takes them a little while to do damage. It's also why their "bites" last so long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombiculidae

• Like 1

I feel your pain man, I got in to them buggers last week. The itching is just starting to go away.

As for the ticks, I've had them for for over a moth now. Found one on me just today, still crawling thankfully.

I'd take a a couple ticks over chiggers any day as long as they don't have lymes disease 

And after all that I still get to fight the misquotes every evening.