New to Handguns...

Guest Gray93

Guest Gray93
Hey, guys. I'm new to this forum and the world of handguns. This past Christmas I received a Glock 22 .40 cal. It was suggested to me by my uncle who is a police officer. While I love my full-sized glock, the time is coming where I think something a little more concealable is a concern. I've been looking at the Glock 19 and 27. Thoughts? Preferences?

It would really be best if you went down to your local gun store to see what feels good in your hand. Don't let them pressure you into getting something that isn't right for you(not all stores do this, but I've seen it happen with new shooters)

That being said, I currently have 2 Glock 19's and carry one daily. They are fantastic carry guns. I previously owned two Glock 26's and sold them both, the reduction in size isn't worth the horrible grip on the subcompact Glocks.

Welcome to the forum. I suppose the first question is do you want to 9mm or 40 cal. The g19 is 9mm and the 27 is 40cal. The g23 is brother to the g22 and the g26 is the little bro to the g19. Now I am the most open minded , unopioninated person on the forum so what I am about to say can be taken as the gospel. The glock 19 is the most realiable, shootable, safest handgun ever made. The modern 9mm ammo will be more than adequate for self defense needs. You can buy any type of accessory you can think of for it. It is very concealable and easy to shoot. Now the g27 is also a fine choice as would be any glock. The bottom line is if possible go to range and rent any of the glocks and go with what you like best. I am in the Nashville area and would be glad to meet you and let you shoot any glock model you like. You would not have to rent this way. Just pm if interested.
I have a Glock 23 and a 26. With my current holster, the 23 and 26 can be worn under a tshirt. I'd say go with the 27 as you already have ammo for it, hopefully. Edited by JHC77
Guest Lester Weevils

Wasn't able to determine whether you are sold on another glock. Nothin wrong with glock at all.

If you haven't set your heart on only a smaller glock and nothing else, some pistol brands are slimmer. Which fits in some folks hands better (even some folks with big hands). And some like slimmer pistols for in waist band or pocket carry.

I have a G19 (9mm) and a G23 (40). They are identical except for the writing on the side, and the hole in the end. I think they're the perfect size. I agree with Erik. I'm not a fan of the baby Glocks. They're all the same width except for a couple of the 45's.

Guest Gray93
Hey, guys and thanks for the help and advice. I didn't quite make it clear that I am wanting to stay in the field of Glocks. Also, my uncle purchased a Ruger .45 handgun. Not sure of the model. Ruger is a trusted name in my opinion, but how do their pistols run?

Hey, guys and thanks for the help and advice. I didn't quite make it clear that I am wanting to stay in the field of Glocks. Also, my uncle purchased a Ruger .45 handgun. Not sure of the model. Ruger is a trusted name in my opinion, but how do their pistols run?

I carried a Ruger P90 .45 for over ten years. That thing was a tank and ate anything I fed it without ANY issues. Only drawback in some peoples opinions, is the size, but like I said, I carried it every single day. Very dependable.
No problem. There are a ton of dependable handguns out there. You have to be comfortable with it. Those full size Ruger's fit my hand good, whereas some people they don't. You'll figure it out. Good luck and enjoy trying them all out.
Guest Gray93
Well, I have smaller hands, and the reason I asked is because my uncle bought the gun with the intent to give to me. Thing is, I will most likely be paying him back, and I wanted to get some inside opinions before i shelled out the dough! Lol

The G27 is a great little handgun.  In my experience, it shoots as good or better than the G23.

With that said (as others have pointed out), it is thick compared to some other offerings.

The M&P 40 Shield is probably easier to conceal under light clothing, ... but it doesn't feel as secure in my hand as the 27.  Look around, find what is right for you.

Guest Bonedaddy

I have a Ruger SR9 and also a SR9c, which conceals real nice and nothin' has felt better in my hand than those two pistols, other than a couple commander sized 1911s I've held. They're real good shooters and damn reliable and purdy easy to break down and clean. Fire control group is purdy much the same as a Glock, so it should be familiar to ya. BTW...I like that SR45, too but don't have one..................................................................................yet.

You really can't go wrong with a G19.  Personally, I think everyone should own one.

For holsters, I prefer Raven Concealment (their Phantom OWB is just about the perfect holster), and Dale Fricke (I use an Archangel AIWB for summertime carry).

For belts, the Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer is a great belt at a very low price.

HTH, and welcome to the world of handguns!

My problem with conceal carrying Glocks is the width. I have a single-stack Walther PPS in 9mm that is an excellent carry gun, and it also comes in .40S&W. Its operation is all but identical to your Glock (similar trigger, striker-fired, partially pre-cocked double-action only).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys. I'm new to this forum and the world of handguns. This past Christmas I received a Glock 22 .40 cal. It was suggested to me by my uncle who is a police officer. While I love my full-sized glock, the time is coming where I think something a little more concealable is a concern. I've been looking at the Glock 19 and 27. Thoughts? Preferences?

PPS here as well. I don't see why people bother with Glocks, or any other wide handgun when it comes to concealed carry.

What?  Have you never heard of the 30sf or the 30s? Google it

Yeah, I've heard of them. But the 30S is even wider than the typical Glock 19 according to Glock's site. Even so, the 19 is a full tenth of an inch wider than the PPS, XDS, PF9, etc. Isn't much, but makes a difference when in a concealed carry type context.

• 2 weeks later...

There isn't really anything better to justify in the .40 to accept the added recoil over a 9mm, especially with modern hollowpoint ammo. I had a G27, and with full power defense loads, it was way too snappy for my tastes, hard to get followup shots, and if you are using a handgun, you will be shooting someone multiple times. I traded it in on a G19 years ago, and couldn't be happier.

I have a Gen 3 23 and love it. It is great to carry in cooler weather or with a shirt untucked. It is fun to shoot and very accurate. I have a Gen 4 21 and while I enjoy shooting it more for me it is too big to carry concealed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD