Ruger 22/45 almost got me

I decided to clean my sons Ruger 22/45 today after putting it off for some time. I had heard that it was a rather difficult pistol to tear down and reassemble. Well it seems the stories were true as 3 hours after starting I finally have it cleaned and back together. I would probably had to take to gunsmith if not for the videos on the Ruger web sight. Being a confirmed Glock fan I am not accustomed to using non marring punches and hammers on my guns for routine cleaning.  Hopefully the next cleaning can be done in under 2 hours as I now have a understanding of how the thing is put together. All the function checks seemed to go as described but I think I will let the boy take the first shot or two next time out. :x:

Edited by glock55
Guest Bonedaddy

Just take the grips off and vat the thing in Seafoam for 24 hours, blow out with high pressure air, then vat in Zmax for another 24 hours, blow out and wipe down and hope like hell it worked. :popcorn:

I've had a Mark II stainless bull barrel for about 20 years and only shot it about 5 times , it is jamming now and I know it needs taking apart , dreading it.

Or you could just sell it to me, and get a brand new Mark III...

If one owns a Ruger 22/45 (or any other Mark) and has shot it so much it actually needs to be taken apart and cleaned it's probably time to go buy a new one.

very true

I wouldn't take mine apart any more often than every 5000 rounds, if that often. I just snake the barrel and spray some Powder Blast into the action and I'm good. I made the mistake of disassembling mine every time I shot it when I first got it. I had to shim the lug to keep the barrel from rattling, because it got loose from all the taking apart and putting back together.

One of the easiest ways to clean these is with WD40. Lock the slide back and hose the inside of the receiver down with plenty of WD40. Rack it a dozen times then use compressed air to blow out all the WD40. Repeat this a few times and the gun with run like a champ. Eventually though you will have to take it apart and clean it though.

I just took mine apart today to install the tandemkross mag disconnect bushing and loaded chamber indicator delete that graycrait recommended. I had a migraine when I started it, I ended up with an icepack on my head when it was finished.

It went a bit better than the first time I did it but I STILL had to pull up a YouTube video to figure out which way the barrell came off lol.
Edited by sL1k

One of the easiest ways to clean these is with WD40. Lock the slide back and hose the inside of the receiver down with plenty of WD40. Rack it a dozen times then use compressed air to blow out all the WD40. Repeat this a few times and the gun with run like a champ. Eventually though you will have to take it apart and clean it though.

Replace the WD40 with balistol and the compressor blowing with air drying and that's about right for me.

When I say compressed air I mean from a compressor and not those cheesy cans of air. At 115 psi and the right tip a air nozzle can do a pretty good job of knock carbon and crud loose without even using WD40.

For the longest time I used a blasting cabinet loaded with walnut hulls. It was tough enough to cut through the crude without damaging the finish.

Guest Lester Weevils

My 13 year old mark II slabside has been disassembled for cleaning 3 times that I can recall, no fun. I bought a new recoil spring and will eventually have to take it down again to replace that. They say every once in awhile they like to have a new recoil spring.

Every year or two I take off the grips and spray it out (out of doors) with gunscrubber, but wear wraparound safety glasses after the first time managed to splash some of that stuff into an eye. Ouch! Then drip lube onto everything I can reach and replace the grips.

I do clean it regularly after shooting it, but it is just bore cleaning and swabbing all the gunk I can reach from the bolt and chamber with Q tips and a plastic pick.

you can actually clean a ruger mark without takedown about 3 to 1.  That is, you can do 3 "no takedown" cleaning to every 1 deep, tear it apart cleanings. 

To clean it without takedown, soak the chamber in  solvent and wipe it out with Qtips or paper towel chunks until you get most of the black gunk out.  Also lock the bolt open and clean the bolt inside and out and re-lube the bolt.   Of course a good barrel swabbing is also in order.   A small something (I use a toothpick) to scrub under the extractor.  

After a while, though, the firing pin, recoil spring, etc get too dirty and you have to take it apart to clean those.  The action gets pretty gunked up too eventually, so knocking the barrel & all off the frame to expose and deep clean (here again, you can leave it assembled and just spray and swab most of the junk away) is a good idea once a year. 

Guest Lester Weevils

Same here. Patch down the barrel and wipe out what I can. It's like cleaning a bbq grill... it's good to leave a little "flavor". :)

posted from my phone

My Mark II is usually real reliable, but every once in awhile it will start misfeeding enough to be annoying, which was the cause of the times I've disassembled it for deep cleaning. But it may have been some other factor, dirty mags or bad luck with ammo or the phase of the moon or maybe it just wasn't in a good mood that day. After reading about spraying it out with Gunscrubber, a vigorous gunscrubber flush seems to do about as good as disassembly for "curing" a tendency to misfeed.