Dixie Chicks , Natalie / Mother CD

Wow , where do most people stand ? Knowing a number of people in the music industry I have mixed feelings. I always thought that the concert announcement overseas was inappropriate. I also think that the loss of the group was a major loss of talent. My wife asked me to pick up the new CD as mentioned , the title song MOTHER is a remake of the Rodger Waters ( Pink Floyd ) melody. Not bad , I am just loading the CD in iTunes and am writing as I listen , more later.......

Pink Floyd is one of those bands where I never really understand why anyone would 'remake' one of their songs.  Pretty much everything they did was perfect (within their style/realm of music) to begin with and any remake, no matter how 'good', will fall far short.

I also have little use for the bubblegum pop with steel guitar, parody of real country music crap that passes for most mainstream contemporary 'country music'.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 3

I will admit that I liked the Dixie Chicks back in the day.  I wish that all artist would just make music and stay the Hell out of politics.  Sadly some of my favorite bands are the most vocal (REM, Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam....)  I did listen to the 30 second samples of the songs on that album a week or two back and it did nothing for me personally.  I love Pink Floyd and the remake was pretty blah in my opinion.  Just my .02.

• Like 1

I haven't much liked Natalie since before they got big. Dad was playing a private party in Memphis and the Dixie Chicks were in the lineup after Dad's group. Natalie couldn't walk to the stage without help b/c she over indulged in the open bar, it was pathetic. Little sister asked Dad to take her to the Wide Open Spaces release party a year or two later and he flat refused.

Well thanks to Metallica ( which rocks great tunes such as Enter Sand Man , Wiskey in a Jar ( Original as I know it ThinLizzy ) ) we are in a long time ago legal battle of who can share what ( Napster , ect. ). Where is the legal line ? You can go play a cover in a bar or convention center ( big band ) with permission if you have it ( or just don't get caught ) , you can shop for clothes and listen to music ( if BMI is collecting the royalties ). Sometimes I think the music industry has gone way overboard ; if I decide " Your momma wears combat boots ! " * was my saying or SONG , can I demand who gets royalties and where and when ?

* Guess I should have registered that saying back in 1973 ......
Even I forgave Metallica after the whole Napster thing, and I loved me some Napster. I can still enjoy their music (it took me a few years) even though they are a bunch of whiners.

The Dixie Chicks are a different story for two reasons:

1. They went to another country and badmouthed our President during a concert. I don't approve of that. Therefore I think that anyone who buys their music or pays for a concert ticket is contributing to their political campaign. I will not contribute.

2. The way that Americans responded was by not purchasing their music and asking their radio stations to stop playing their songs. The Dixie Chicks responded with righteous indignation, saying that their freedom of speech was being violated or something. Apparently they believe that we are OBLIGATED to listen and buy their music, and that their "free speech" is separate of that, even though it is their music which is providing them a soapbox. It is no different then sending money to Al Gore to listen to him talk about Manbearpig.

So the Dixie Chicks can STFU. They hate America and the basic principles of liberty so much that I can't understand why they are still here. I can't believe there are country stations that still play their crap. Bunch of hookers.
  • Like 4
Guest TankerHC

It wasnt a concert announcement, she used a captive audience (Concert goers who PAID and were unlikely to get their money back) to spew her left wing opinions. She and the rest can GFT. Hope the beech never sells another cd, she has made it clear on many TV and Radio shows that we Right wingers are destroying the Country "But its only her opinion" (Its not just her anti Bush stance). And its only my opinion that she needs to be broke and on welfare right where her friends on the left would have her.

Edited by TankerHC

I don't much care for her or the Chicks in general, musically speaking. Her politics are her business and she, like every one else that is paid to perform, should keep that to themselves. And her butchering of a Floyd song doesn't do much for me either.

Wow , where do most people stand ? Knowing a number of people in the music industry I have mixed feelings. I always thought that the concert announcement overseas was inappropriate. I also think that the loss of the group was a major loss of talent. My wife asked me to pick up the new CD as mentioned , the title song MOTHER is a remake of the Rodger Waters ( Pink Floyd ) melody. Not bad , I am just loading the CD in iTunes and am writing as I listen , more later.......
  On second thought, I listen to Rage Against the Machine almost daily, so I suppose I don't have any credibility when it comes to boycotting musicians who use their music to push a political agenda that I strongly disagree with.  I'll justify it by saying that a lot of bad guys who RATM defend met their grisly end shortly after US military doorkicker types got hopped up on their music.  Oh the irony. Edited by TMF
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

On second thought, realizing what a

On second thought, I listen to Rage Against the Machine almost daily, so I suppose I don't have any credibility when it comes to boycotting musicians who use their music to push a political agenda that I strongly disagree with. I'll justify it by saying that a lot of bad guys who RATM defend met their grisly end shortly after US military doorkicker types got hopped up on their music. Oh the irony.

That just makes me think of Nirvana lyrics (In Bloom).
Making political comments on stage, in general or in song, is very common. I'm a fan of 60's and 70's classic rock, and I've seen and heard countless recordings where a great deal of time was spent on making political statements, via speech and song. If she/they walked on stage and began bashing Obama, most of you would likely be singing a different tune. Pun intended.

While my and Natalie's views are polar opposites, I respect her right and courage to voice her opinion. I don't know her personally, but just like I couldn't bring myself to hate any of your for sharing opinions that differ from my own, I don't share the same level of disdain for her as many of you obviously do.

Based on her many interviews I've seen and heard, I believe she is a good person, just a bit misguided. Ok, maybe a lot misguided.
  • Like 2

Making political comments on stage, in general or in song, is very common. I'm a fan of 60's and 70's classic rock, and I've seen and heard countless recordings where a great deal of time was spent on making political statements, via speech and song. If she/they walked on stage and began bashing Obama, most of you would likely be singing a different tune. Pun intended.

While my and Natalie's views are polar opposites, I respect her right and courage to voice her opinion. I don't know her personally, but just like I couldn't bring myself to hate any of your for sharing opinions that differ from my own, I don't share the same level of disdain for her as many of you obviously do.

Based on her many interviews I've seen and heard, I believe she is a good person, just a bit misguided. Ok, maybe a lot misguided.

The point I'm getting at isn't that she has her opinions, it's how she expressed them, then how she acted like a spoiled little **** when folks got upset about it. No matter how you slice it, when you give money to her you are paying for the podium for her to speak. While that may not bother you, even if you disagreed with her, it bothers some folks and they choose not to contribute to her campaign of idiocy. Her reaction to people making that distinction and choice was to then accuse them of trying to silence her right to speak freely. That is what makes me more mad than anything, and why I feel like she is a worthless oxygen thief.

Making political comments on stage, in general or in song, is very common....Based on her many interviews I've seen and heard, I believe she is a good person, just a bit misguided. Ok, maybe a lot misguided.

jane fonda was a little misguided too! They can use their status to promote their politics but it has a price. Edited by tnhawk