Got asked to remove today

Here is a dumb question, on a construction site I'm working at one of the employees comes up to me and ask if I'd take my gun to the truck, I said "why, am I making you nervous", he said yes so I complied. However the General contractor later told me that if I had my permit to carry it if I like. What should I do? Worry about his forman or do what he says?

I used to work low voltage installs many years back, if my boss asked I would comply, if the home owner, business owner, or business site manager asked I'd comply. If anyone else asked I likely politely tell them to go pound sand and go back to working.

Well like I said, I did comply. However my bug never left my pocket :D

I think for my employer's sake I'll just keep the bug and leave the OWB in the truck. It's stupid since they are actually safer if I have it but be a dick and I won't worry about you, just me and mine.

• Like 9
Guest drv2fst

Unless you feel unsafe at that location, I'd try to make my coworkers comfortable.  Polite conversations while working may help him be more open to your working while armed.

Not that it matters, but I think you did the right thing. The old phrase don't $hi+ where you eat has multiple uses, IMO.

I've never "been made" in public or at work (that I know of), but I'd do what you did, if it happened.

• Like 1

Hard to say since I wasn't there, but I think that unless he had some direct influence over me I wouldn't have worried about it.

In these situations though what gets me is, it isn't the firearm the person is uncomfortable with....it is YOU with the firearm. If a LEO or some other "authority figure" was armed, he probably wouldn't have gave it a second thought.

• Like 3

Well Today this dumbass said "in the part of town you need an Ar15 strapped to your back"  I looked at him and said that was my point when he asked me to disarm. He's former navy. they don't let them seamen have anything sharp much less a gun. LOL

to comply is the polite thing to do, but I would have pressed the guy and made it an opportunity to educate him.  If he can give you a rational, well thought out reason for putting it away, and will be personally responsible for it if stolen, we might talk about it.  

Well, now I have more info. This dweeb is the foreman for the job, he only answers to the general contractor. That said, I'll deep conceal and let him have his way. But even the GC said he is a big baby. I've seen more whining on this job than most other construction sites I've worked.
I used to work for an electrician that kept several Ruger P series pistols on the dash of his van. They just sat there or near the console for all to see. We always had more than ample space to work, and we were never given the wrong order at a drive thru.

Well like I said, I did comply. However my bug never left my pocket :D

I think for my employer's sake I'll just keep the bug and leave the OWB in the truck. It's stupid since they are actually safer if I have it but be a dick and I won't worry about you, just me and mine.

Life is not all about carrying a gun.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...