Guidelines Regarding Law Enforcement Threads on TGO

MacGyver

I think I'd rather be doing that before he gets there than during. Then I can have my hands clearly atop the steering wheel with papers visible.

After all, someone reaching over and fiddling *could* be getting a gun. Or they could have the gun withing easy reach anyway and not have to fiddle. Probably not a good idea to make assumptions.

Edited by tnguy
Guest TresOsos

Tread lightly with the sarcasm.  We've all got a good sense of humor, but snarkiness might earn a vacation.

Sorry, I was actually being serious not sarcastic or snarky.

What is the approriate forum for posting a joke.

Just stumbled across this thread. A lot to take in for sure. As a newcomer I am still just learning the ropes of the forums. It's hard to know what the rules are without spelling them out but at the same time a little common sense and courtesy can probably go a long way. I would say voicing your opinion is one thing but bashing and a continuous negative attitude toward others is another, but it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round as they say. You can't have dark without light, wouldn't be much of a discussion if there were no difference of opinion. Sometimes you just hit one of these hot button topics that get things going.

As for the leo, he has a tough job and all eyes are on him just waiting for him to slip up, glad I don't have eyes on me all the time at my workplace because I have been known to make a mistake every once in a while myself. When interacting with leo I usually try to put myself in their shoes and go from there; stay calm, be polite, professional, etc. and I also expect the same from them. I agree with Garufa, I don't want to be the guy fumbling around the car during a traffic stop reaching in all the compartments getting my papers while they are walking up, better to keep your hands on the wheel be calm and wait until they get there and then follow their instructions.

I have not had the chance to show my hcp since I got it 11 years ago, knock on wood, just lucky I guess. I almost got the chance late one night pulling out of my business recently, the officer stopped me and asked me what I was doing up in the industrial park at 3am until he realized it was me and he knew I was the owner of a business.located in there, never got around to dl or hcp, just small talked for a while and we went our separate ways. I had asked the BCSO for extra patrols of the area after a break-in at our business in 2003 and I would have to say that even after 10 years they are still keeping a good eye out.

I've banned more than one person for not being able to refer to gay people without the use of a slur.  There's a famous post by one of our moderating team relating to the tendency to profile people who may look middle eastern and the problems associated with it. 

The DNC doesn't need our help.  They've yet to meet a sure thing that they can't screw up.

But your point stands.  We can discuss big issues.  We've got a lot of diverse opinions.  But, if you're just here to stir stuff up, we're going to take notice because it's affecting the community at large.

Tell me it's my post!

Thank you for your answer, I just had some concerns that this might be driven by other factors.

I would not want the forum to inadvertently create a "Protected Class" of individuals above scutiny and criticism.

lol, is that why you kept asking about question 2?

This warning comes up about once or twice a year and has since the beginning. It will cool down for awhile then when enough new people join up that missed the last cycle the mods or David (as it used to be) will send out another reminder. It truly isn't a new thing or a personally directed thing.

Eh, there are just as many guys that defend them as bash them ... if not more. Cops have thicker skin than that, I hope. Heck, I see as much God bashing as cop bashing but believers haven't left. Cops like other folks may just not post like they used too. I used to post like crazy. Especially if it was something I was passionate about. I was even ahead of some of those super poster guys, but found it better to leave somethings alone for my own sanity. ;)

Relevant to my interests.

This is the exact issue I have with all of this.  I think the LEO topic was used as the example and I am sure the intention was actually to point out something much bigger which is basically, think about what you say.  Again, if the rule for LEO threads is that it must relate to TN, then all threads should relate to TN if that is the standard by which we are going by now.  I don't actually think that was the intention, but used as an example which probably in the end wasn't the best.  I could also be wrong on this, maybe they really do want to limit all of this to just things in TN.

We have people from more than just TN on this board and I think the goal is to discuss all kinds of topics, even if some aren't directly related to TN, or even guns for that matter. If someone's only goal is to bash a specific person or group of people, please do so with some level of thought and tact.   Robert, you are very good at this meaning you always give a good reason for your opinion, even if others disagree.

I have to admit, sometimes it is hard to not respond to some things in a personal way.  When someone makes a statement, especially a very opinionated statement, they should expect some level of personal response to that opinion.  Your opinion does represent you, you cannot simply hide behind your computer and say it's just my opinion so don't respond to me personally.

At the end of all of this, I don't think anything has changed or will change other than hopefully everyone will think a little more about what they say.  As the old adage goes, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. 

This scene from "The Way of the Gun" says this exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngu0RKsv3qE

One of my favorite movies.

Edited by Daniel
Guest Keal G Seo

Tried to stay out of it, I really did. Was just going to shut up and not post anything about LEOs anymore unless it met the criteria. Seeing other posts now though I am convinced this is one sided. In reading all of this what I took away was it is basically down to two things: 1. Be in TN 2. Have to do with firearms. Well, in two recent posts it seems to meet neither of those criteria. So what are the guidelines really...be in TN and firearm related or just not bringing negative things to light?

Intent is everything.  Start there and then you'll be able to work your way through the problem.

+1

Tried to stay out of it, I really did. Was just going to shut up and not post anything about LEOs anymore unless it met the criteria. Seeing other posts now though I am convinced this is one sided. In reading all of this what I took away was it is basically down to two things: 1. Be in TN 2. Have to do with firearms. Well, in two recent posts it seems to meet neither of those criteria. So what are the guidelines really...be in TN and firearm related or just not bringing negative things to light?

If your sole intent is to show LE in a bad light then don't post it, Tennessee related or not. If it is negative and has merits for discussion then post it but only if it involves Tennessee.

If you are looking for a hard line that is going to be difficult to do because topics and posts vary widely. Worst case scenario your post will be deleted. Best case scenario we have something we can all discuss.

Should the same rule apply to politicians, lawyers, government employees, welfare recipients, car dealers, media, etc.? If not, why not?

Why not? How many times have you seen three lawyer bashing threads pop up in the same day? AFIK, we have a lot of cops on TGO, especially if you count the large lurker crowd. Macgyver isn't trying to create a protected class. He's trying to fix a problem. I'm pretty sure he would do the same if it was happening to any one of your examples. It's pretty easy to bash any one of them.

I don't know......there are bad apples in every profession. Surely anything said about LE on TGO reflecting the bad apples would not be taken as a negative about the good cops that do their jobs. I'm sure some of them know the ones, or some that act like the ones, being viewed in a negative light. If the shoe don't fit, then why have a problem with it? If it does fit and an LEO sees his or her self in the negative post, then maybe a personal re-evaluation and adjustment is in order. I don't understand how this is a bad thing.

I will abide by the rules of the house in any event. Edited by Randall53
  • Like 2
Welp I'm certainly one of the "let everyone have their say" sort of guys, because I believe that most folks are capable of sorting out the wheat from the chaff so to speak without any help, but I'm just a guest here & I don't have to deal with the resulting complaints when/if someone (or a group of someones) gets offended or butt-hurt.