Season 4

Oh Shoot

[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1125899" timestamp="1395083441"]Why would there be those burned zeds coming from it? There were no zeds around when they burned it. - OS[/quote] They're attracted to fire these past 2 seasons - governor campsite, glenn's molotov cocktail distraction at the prison, and the crispy critters attracted to the moonshine house Of course this is a contradiction to the famous burning barn at Herschel's farm when the zombies still believed "FIRE BAD!" and advanced on the house with their backs to the blazing barn PS: what happens to the shoe box that crazy lizzie dropped next to the walker stuck on the RR tracks?
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1125899" timestamp="1395083441"]Why would there be those burned zeds coming from it? There were no zeds around when they burned it. - OS[/quote] Im pretty sure at the end of that episode, after they set the house ablaze, it shows a bunch of zeds coming out of the woodline towards the burning house. Daryl see's them and taps Beth on the shoulder and says come on lets go and thats the end of the episode. So you see them (the zeds) being pulled in like moths to a flame.

They're attracted to fire these past 2 seasons - governor campsite, glenn's molotov cocktail distraction at the prison, and the crispy critters attracted to the moonshine house Of course this is a contradiction to the famous burning barn at Herschel's farm when the zombies still believed "FIRE BAD!" and advanced on the house with their backs to the blazing barn PS: what happens to the shoe box that crazy lizzie dropped next to the walker stuck on the RR tracks?

Well, if zeds are now attracted to fire, there's another inconsistent change. Inconsistent "rules" of the zed behavior has been the biggest detriment to suspension of disbelief in the whole series for me.

The biggest , that nobody else has mentioned: how come Michonne can walk around with a couple of neutralized zeds as camouflage? First of all, why would they suddenly just walk behind obediently instead of still trying to attack?  Also, if this worked, then why wouldn't the first zed or two on the scene trying to get to a human, especially inside a house or something, not trigger the same non-response for all the others?

At any rate, if zeds are attracted to fire, that would be a good way to get rid of them. Nobody has even used it as a decoy to get out of a scrape.

I'm assuming it started a forrest fire which the zeds probably walked through.

That might work as plot device, but the smoke from the fire they kept seeing looked very localized, almost like from a stack.

- OS

The biggest , that nobody else has mentioned: how come Michonne can walk around with a couple of neutralized zeds as camouflage? First of all, why would they suddenly just walk behind obediently instead of still trying to attack?  Also, if this worked, then why wouldn't the first zed or two on the scene trying to get to a human, especially inside a house or something, not trigger the same non-response for all the others?

Has to do with cutting off their arms and bottom of the jaw. It was discussed last season? Forget who Michonne explained it to but it was discussed.

Edited by jonathon1289

Has to do with cutting off their arms and bottom of the jaw. It was discussed last season? Forget who Michonne explained it to but it was discussed.

Meaning, it nuked their "desire" to attack? Yet disembodied heads still try to bite until the brain is destroyed? Puleeese...

zombie-herschel-head.jpg

the-walking-dead5.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

That might work as plot device, but the smoke from the fire they kept seeing looked very localized, almost like from a stack.

- OS

Well, let's be honest. It's not been the most practical show. I don't have faith they would put that much thought into it.

Well, let's be honest. It's not been the most practical show. I don't have faith they would put that much thought into it.

That's my consistent carp with the production: if you're gonna postulate a fantastic premise, the rules for it need to all be credible for dramatic suspension of disbelief -- whether it's the gunplay, zombie physiology and behavior, supporting plot details, whatever.

- OS

Well, if zeds are now attracted to fire, there's another inconsistent change. Inconsistent "rules" of the zed behavior has been the biggest detriment to suspension of disbelief in the whole series for me.

At any rate, if zeds are attracted to fire, that would be a good way to get rid of them. Nobody has even used it as a decoy to get out of a scrape.

- OS

It was actually discussed pretty well in the comic.  Its not an instant thing.  She basically trained them not to attack.  She taught them that they couldn't attack.  

It was actually discussed pretty well in the comic.  Its not an instant thing.  She basically trained them not to attack.  She taught them that they couldn't attack.  

But of course in the TV version she instantly puts a couple more into service right after they all flee the prison.

- OS

The walkers on chains thing was/is silly - at least they had Learned in atlanta to mask their "scent" by covering themselves in zombie guts. Hacking up a walker and dragging it around never made much sense to be - and yes, i know, it a show about zombies so what sense is it supposed to make -

What's worse than a walking corpse intent on eating you alive?    A flaming walking corpse intent on eating you alive!  The experts (Max Brooks and the Resident Evil games) agree that lighting a zombie on fire just adds to your problems.  Maybe someone on the show read the Zombie Survival Guide.

What's worse than a walking corpse intent on eating you alive?    A flaming walking corpse intent on eating you alive!  The experts (Max Brooks and the Resident Evil games) agree that lighting a zombie on fire just adds to your problems.  Maybe someone on the show read the Zombie Survival Guide.

Well, now if we're going to debate fantasy physiology, regardless of Mel's boy's rules, if zeds like to walk into fires, they presumably don't run right back out of it when they are burned from it either, so flesh would be consumed, I would assume to the point of often having no more tendons, ligaments, and muscle to actually further ambulate. And also logically would surely destroy the brain once sufficient internal heat is reached. 

Unless you posit they they can actually burn without flesh being consumed ... which I suppose one could, since they don't decompose either. :)

- OS

It was interesting but felt kind-of rushed as if the girls were just props. Could have done with a little more build-up IMO.

I think this entire season was a build up to this episode. Lizzie fed the walkers and had her 'pet' walker Nick, from the beginning of the season. Carol killed Karen and David. She killed Lizzie and Mika's father not long after that. Every time Lizzie and Mika have been on the screen, it was building up to this episode. It was why I was not surprised, shocked maybe, but not surprised, when it all went down.

It was to show the ambiguity of the world that they now live in, a world that Carol understands. It goes back to Sophia being killed, and what it takes to survive in this new world without mental healthcare or laws. You had a mentally unstable individual who was dangerous. Carol solved it. Same as when she was attempting to save the group from the potential plague. 

The show may have a loose grasp on science, and it may play games with sticking to it's guns, but it has a habit of creating interesting moral situations from which to show character development. So far I feel that Daryl and Carol are two of the strongest characters on the show. Not from a 'badass' point of view, but in the terms to which the writers have decided to fill out their background, and show their personal growth through the post apocalypse world. Carl is still a whiny kid, Rick is still the hero archetype. Carol went from meek abused housewife to alpha survivor with a clear survival compass and Daryl went from white ghetto trash to ZPAW Robin Hood.

Think about the other main characters, we know nothing about Glenn or Maggie preZPAW, nothing about Beth, Tyrese or  Sasha. We have been given a brief glimpse of Michonne and Bob has stated that he was a medic in the Army. That is it. However we have had it clearly spelled out for us who Rick, Daryl and Carol are.

That is one reason I am pretty confident that those three characters will make it, at least to the end of the season. 

Then again, maybe the reason we know it all is cause they are gonna die. After all, we knew Hershel's background pretty well too.

Edited by Murgatroy

I'll try my hand at explaining away the burnt walkers based on the rules of the Walking Dead universe.  We know from Woodbury that they routinely burned walkers in the pits, but I think they showed a few crispy ones still moving after the fire went out.  Therefore, the part of the brain that re-animates the body is heat resistant, but not invulnerable.  (It doesn't have to make real sense, just sense according to their rules).  Perhaps the burned walkers were ignited by coming close to the fire but did not actually walk into it.  Their clothes would catch on fire, burning their flesh, but eventually petered out.  I personally don't know what happens if you lit a person on fire, i.e., how long the fire burns before running out of fuel.  It looked like most of them had clothes burned into their flesh.

Therefore I propose that if you burn a walker long enough, it does destroy it, but it takes longer than you would expect.

Another mystery that I wonder about is T-Dog--did his brain get eaten and prevent him from re-animating, or was his body so ravaged that there it passed the point of re-animation?

Therefore I propose that if you burn a walker long enough, it does destroy it, but it takes longer than you would expect.

Yeah, that's gotta be it. My suspension of disbelief thanks you. I think. :)

- OS