Really interesting gun cleaning theory

Guest Gustafa

Guest Gustafa

When I took my HCP class a while back, the instructor was very adamant about a particular thing when cleaning your gun.

Of course he said clean it after every session, but he went on to say once you have the ammo out of your gun and mags, take it and all other ammo to another room.

His reasoning was that the fumes from the cleaning solvent can penetrate the gap between the bullet and the casing and reek havoc on the gunpowder and potentially cause issues for the firing of the round.

I, nor any of my buddies have ever heard of this being an issues so I thought I would post it here.

Have any of you heard of this, practice this, or know of any issues with what he is referring to?

Guest Lester Weevils

My first HCP class instructor was a retired cop and army firearms instructor. He warned not to over-lube guns because some lube will soak into the ammo and make it subject to misfire. Which isn't exactly the same as what your instructor said, but similar.

He even had a cautionary tale. He said when he was a younger cop he would over-lube his pistols, and one night he was called out into the county on a call somehow related to a pesky coon up in a tree. So he decided to shoot the coon and solve the problem, but his over-lubed ammo mis-fired and the bullet barely made it out of the barrel, which he said was rather embarrassing. For what its worth.

Sounds a little far fetched to me unless you're dipping your gun into a giant vat of Hoppes in a small unventilated room.

I've shot .45 made in the 1940's that didn't appear very well taken care of with no issues.

• Like 1
When I clean guns I remove all live ammo from the area for obvious reasons. (I do use snap caps)

I don’t know that “fumes” could do much. But how would anyone know? If it did you would have a fail to fire or a squib and I doubt anyone would think they must have got some fumes in their ammo.
Fumes seem extremely unlikely. The amount that would diffuse through a tiny gap at any concentration not fatal to humans? Non-existant.

OTOH, I do always unload my guns (and leave the ammunition) in a different room before I clean them. But that's a safety thing. Maybe someone was pulling his leg.

That's a load of crap.

Ding. We have a winner. If the fumes are concentrated enough to seep through that tight seal and damage gun powder, what do you think it will do to a human that's sucking the same fumes?

EDIT... or what Peej said :)

Edited by mikegideon

Fumes...nope...WD40 sprayed all over the gun can seep into bullets. I learned that back in '75 at the Academy.  When you're on duty you want a gun

that goes bang when you need it to. 

If you reload you can try it yourself. Prime a case and then spray a lil WD40 into the case and onto the primer. Stick it into your gun and take it outside

and see if it goes bang. I always use it to inert a primer when needed. 

What's odd is we used to use WD40 to check for intake leaks on cars. If it was running real rough we'd spray it around the intake manifolds on either bank 

and around the carb. You knew you found the leak when the engine smoothed right out. It burns very easily.  

Personally I use 5w20 synthetic oil as a lube in all my guns. I buy a quart and fill up a couple of small plastic bottles with spouts. 

Lp

Edited by Lowpower
  • Like 1
Guest Gustafa

Fumes...nope...WD40 sprayed all over the gun can seep into bullets. I learned that back in '75 at the Academy.  When you're on duty you want a gun

that goes bang when you need it to. 

If you reload you can try it yourself. Prime a case and then spray a lil WD40 into the case and onto the primer. Stick it into your gun and take it outside

and see if it goes bang. I always use it to inert a primer when needed. 

What's odd is we used to use WD40 to check for intake leaks on cars. If it was running real rough we'd spray it around the intake manifolds on either bank 

and around the carb. You knew you found the leak when the engine smoothed right out. It burns very easily.  

Personally I use 5w20 synthetic oil as a lube in all my guns. I buy a quart and fill up a couple of small plastic bottles with spouts. 

Lp

Youre from my neighborhood, want to guess which range where I took my class that had the instructor that told me this?? LOL

WD40 and a lit match are a great way to deal with pesky, (she made me get outta my chair), spiders and such...just be careful of the background! I use Mobil 1 oil in small bottles as well....great thinks mind alike. :up:

Edited by ArmyBrat61

There are numerous precautions about keeping ammo away from liquid or spray Kroil, a very effectice penetrating oil. There may be similar volatile products that could penetrate between bullet and case. With some ammo, it's a no brainer -- like certain Rem Golden Bullets that are loosely assembled. Of course vapor exposure is not as concentrated as liquid or direct spray contact. That said, per MG above, common sense dictates if you are working around a vapor that is potent enough to penetrate a metal to metal seal, then you had better be protecting yourself with an appropriate respirator or be breathing clean supplied air. Then you might consider other living things in the area - and lastly the ammo.

Edited by Vistar

WD40 and a lit match are a great way to deal with pesky, (she made me get outta my chair), spiders and such...just be careful of the background! I use Mobil 1 oil in small bottles as well....great thinks mind alike. :up:

Hehe, speaking of critters my neighbor showed me years ago that a lil bit of gas will kill a mud dabber in a split second. I had a 3rd car parked in the driveway I was fixing up for my daughter to drive and got a few md's making a home under the hood. My neighbor was over to chat and he asked if I had a cup and a lil lawnmower gas. We put it in the cup then he held the cup just below the md's and they just dropped right into the cup, dead. Root cause is the gas freezes them instantly thru evaporation.

Edited by Lowpower

Youre from my neighborhood, want to guess which range where I took my class that had the instructor that told me this?? LOL

Well we share the same county for sure but I went to the academy in another state. I'd bet back then when wd-40 was the new

wonder oil everyone was spraying the heck outa their guns. Well right up until someone found out it seeped into the primers of store bought and

reloaded ammo.

The old military ammo had sealant on the primer and a tar like sealant on the bullet.  The way I found that out was we'd buy lots of mil surplus 

.30-06 with black tip (armor piercing) bullets. We'd use a bullet puller to swap out for some hollow points. Every one of those mil spec bullets

had a tar sealant on them just inside the neck.

Lp

Ref: phuarts...if they be mine then they smell like roses...so no issues. :D 

I'd bet back then when wd-40 was the new wonder oil everyone was spraying the heck outa their guns. Well right up until someone found out it seeped into the primers of store bought and reloaded ammo.

No shop I have ever been in would allow WD40 around any machinery. It’s okay as a cleaner, but it’s not something you want on your guns.
Guest Lester Weevils
The old retired cop instructor that warned my class against over-lube specifically mentioned WD-40 in that "risk of misfire" context. Maybe a few decades ago WD-40 got lots of use for guns, as lowpower mentions?

Wonder if lots of hoppes or mobil one or rem oil, just dripping all over ammo, would post a misfire risk? Less perhaps than WD-40 or Kroil, but somewhat a risk nonetheless?

The old retired cop instructor that warned my class against over-lube specifically mentioned WD-40 in that "risk of misfire" context. Maybe a few decades ago WD-40 got lots of use for guns, as lowpower mentions?

Wonder if lots of hoppes or mobil one or rem oil, just dripping all over ammo, would post a misfire risk? Less perhaps than WD-40 or Kroil, but somewhat a risk nonetheless?

Just depends on the wicking/penetrating properties of the oil.  Any sort of purpose made penetrating oil (WD-40, Kroil, PB Blaster, etc.) could penetrate the space between the bullet and the case.  Whether or not enough gets in there to cause a misfire depends on time and amount. 

Try it and find out.  Put a bullet in a ziplock bag, spray a bunch of oil in it, seal it up, and leave for a couple days.