Boro Officer ... bullet proof vest, person-to-person sale = trouble

Peace

http://www.wkrn.com/story/24587821/murfreesboro-officer-bulletproof-vest

Anyone care to explain this one to me?  I'm guessing dept. regs.

Troubling that:

1) this call would go in and

2) a response would come so fast.  I have called in drunk drivers more times than I care to count and not a thing was done about it.

It seems now more than ever all buyers of sporting goods need to know the seller and any employer regulations that might apply - not just the laws of the state and federal government.  Be aware of who you are deeling with gents and ladies.

I love the quote at the end about the buyer, "No charges have been filed against him and it is unclear why he made the purchase."

huh?  Maybe he lives in a bad part of town and wants an intruder response kit by his bedside.  ... 

In other news, it looks like our local crime population (and media) is doing their part to support the O's agenda.  Front page stories include: Ballistic vest bust, 2 found murdered in boro parking lot, Man shot once in each leg downtown, man shot in face in drive-by shooting, and... "White House Calls McGavock ahead of .... after student killed."

[quote name="peejman" post="1103571" timestamp="1391091861"]Maybe if cops got paid more than $10/hr, they might not feel the need to sell their gear.[/quote] You see the same thing around military bases alot. Most of the time its someone who is irresponsible and needs beer money for the weekend. I find it funny that someone called in about a guy putting body armor in the trunk, and that the news acts like there is no reason for a civilian to have body armor. Tapatalk ate my spelling.
[quote name="XxthejuicexX" post="1103573" timestamp="1391092183"]So, Is it illegal to purchase a " ballistic vest " that was issued to an active army person then sold by him after he had no more use for it?[/quote] Ballstic vest in the Marines (and I think all other services) are issued by CIF and are to be turned back in when you pcs or leave active duty. You can file a missing gear chit and claim its lost and may or may not have to pay for it. But 90% of the time that gear is gonna be stolen. Yes, if you file a chit saying its missing and keep it then that is stealing. Tapatalk ate my spelling.
  • Like 1

Who ever called this in is a giant turd.

Who cares if someone bought body armor? I mean come on people.

It's not illegal to buy, sell or trade armor. It's only illegal to use it in a crime.

Why do people have so much sand in their vag?

There's so much in that statement, I don't know where to start...  (and I agree with you).

• Moderators

You see the same thing around military bases alot. Most of the time its someone who is irresponsible and needs beer money for the weekend. I find it funny that someone called in about a guy putting body armor in the trunk, and that the news acts like there is no reason for a civilian to have body armor. Tapatalk ate my spelling.

You find it funny? I find it  :rant:

So, Is it illegal to purchase a " ballistic vest " that was issued to an active army person then sold by him after he had no more use for it?

It is Gov't property.  We don't get issued things like that and not have to turn them in.  That's a general statement and doesn't cover every eventuality but 9.5/10 times, things like that are accounted for.

• Like 1

The hulabaloo in the story is because he sold a department issued vest, not a personally owned vest. Had it been the latter, you wouldn't have heard about it.

It would be the same thing as if he sold the squad car with all the stuff in it.

Something is missing. The buyer never got charged w poss of stolen property, and,if the TBI is called on it means : no one knows if it was the officers vest or a personally owned item sold while on or off duty. The da expects TBI to complete an unbiased investigation because they (the da) doesn't know what to do.

As 173 mentioned no crime unless used in a crime.
Imagine if this guy got snitched on over what what was really a paintball or airsoft item.....I also find it funny how police respond to a "ballistic vest placed in trunk call" that fast....less than 1 or 2 minutes ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
[quote name="Spots" post="1103575" timestamp="1391092243"]You see the same thing around military bases alot. Most of the time its someone who is irresponsible and needs beer money for the weekend. I find it funny that someone called in about a guy putting body armor in the trunk, and that the news acts like there is no reason for a civilian to have body armor.Tapatalk ate my spelling.[/quote] The ones I see selling around Ft Campbell all the time are most certainly by turds who stole a buddy's body armor. I hate thieves in the military. Should be hung. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
[quote name="TMF" post="1103598" timestamp="1391095545"]The ones I see selling around Ft Campbell all the time are most certainly by turds who stole a buddy's body armor. I hate thieves in the military. Should be hung.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote] Yeah there is that. We had a few thieves on the boat. One guy stole his rack mates entire flack with all 4 sapi plates. And thought he could hide it until we got back.... I've seen quite a bit of shit end up in pawn shops and on armslist from people needing beer money. Of course those are the same guys who are stealing gear like you said. Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Actually it is a crime for a felon to be in possession of body armor.

No crime was committed by the buyer and he should sue the officer for his money back. The officer should have known not to sell something that the taxpayers paid for. And for doing it he should loose his job.

I would say that 90% of the military stuff sold in pawn shops is not stolen. It is some Joe who needs money so he pawns his gear but never gets it back out. I know I have had soldiers that needed me to help them get something out of pawn when they couldn't afford to get it back out. They eventually paid me back with money or with sweat.

Why did someone call it in? Because they thought it was suspicious. It happens all the time and is one way criminals are caught.

Why did the Police respond? Because it’s their job. When a citizen calls in something suspicious the cops go check it out. When dispatchers get to start deciding what’s suspicious; there is a serious administration problem.

The Officer is now suspected of felony theft. With his suspension and decommission I assume there is evidence that the vest belonged to the department.

If the accusations prove to be true; a bad cop was taken down. I think that makes it pretty clear why the call was made and why Officers responded.

I paid for that vest. I don’t like people stealing from me. Good job by the investigating Officers.
  • Like 3

Who ever called this in is a giant turd.

Who cares if someone bought body armor? I mean come on people.

It's not illegal to buy, sell or trade armor. It's only illegal to use it in a crime.

Why do people have so much sand in their vag?

I still have my first vest that I bought on my own with my own money when I was in the sheriffs' dept . I'm in a different agency now and I can sell that dude however I like ! I bought it with my own money period ! People are not happy unless they have DRAMA going on and that is just stupid !  Hey , ,,,,, anyone want to buy a Second Chance brand vest that is rated ....... ? LOL !!!!!

Edited by tercel89

If you ask me I think the LEO was just plain stupid for selling something that may save his life on his next radio call to a shots fired call or domestic disturbance call. Ya have to wonder what some people are thinking...............jmho

He probably bought his own vest and decided to sell the spare which belonged to the department. I know a bunch of my friends purchased their own after getting issued armor by the department.

If the officer tried to sell the department issued vest he is a crook. He should be treated the same as anyone else who would try to steal. Just because he is an officer does not give him the right to any leniency. Now don't treat him any worse but don't treat him any better either.