Take THAT up your merry gland, Maryland!!

It's pretty clear what side of this issue a company like Beretta would be on, but to act on that stance is pretty admirable. It's a shame they didn't go all-in, though. Their corporate headquarters are still in MD.

I wish all the gun and gun-related companies could afford to move out of states that aren't friendly, like Magpul did.

If Ruger, Mossberg, Marlin, and Colt had threatened to move out of CT before they recently passed their ridiculous gun laws, maybe their legislature would have thought twice.

Edited by BigK

It's pretty clear what side of this issue a company like Beretta would be on, but to act on that stance is pretty admirable. It's a shame they didn't go all-in, though. Their corporate headquarters are still in MD.

I wish all the gun and gun-related companies could afford to move out of states that aren't friendly, like Magpul did.

If Ruger, Mossberg, Marlin, and Colt had threatened to move out of CT before they recently passed their ridiculous gun laws, maybe their legislature would have thought twice.

So to heck with their existing employees in the HQ who probably did NOT support the law? Move or lose your job?

So to heck with their existing employees in the HQ who probably did NOT support the law? Move or lose your job?

Yep

It's not the employees' jobs anyway, it's Beretta's jobs. They can do with them what they please, if employees refuse to go with them.

Edited by BigK
  • Like 3

Yep

It's not the employees' jobs anyway, it's Beretta's jobs. They can do with them what they please, if employees refuse to go with them.

It's one thing to say it; it's another thing to live it. Would you feel that way if it was YOUR job in this economy? Edited by SWJewellTN

I wonder if the managment of Baretta really knows just how much of an a$$ kisser and fair weather friend Lt. Governor Ramsey is?  While I appreciate the move Baretta is making and the message it should sent to Maryland, I do seriously doubt that our General Assembly gets it either.  If they did, they wouldn't stonewall real fixes to Safe Commute and the Parks Carry bills.  They also would be more receptive to a bill to allow Constitutional Carry in Tennessee. 

I wonder if the managment of Baretta is aware of the problems we have had in Tennessee in getting these issues fixed.

To qualify my remark about Lt. Gov. Ramsey.  Before the Republican party had the majority in the General Assembly, Ramsey sucked up to the pro-gun, pro-second amendment people like the TFA and NRA.  Since they have gained the majority, these people are no longer needed and he treats us as such.

• Like 3

It's one thing to say it; it's another thing to live it. Would you feel that way if it was YOUR job in this economy?

I do not have my eyes closed to the possibility it could happen so I would attempt to take it in stride.

In this case, I'd be glad to shake the dust of Maryland from my shoes.

[quote name="SWJewellTN" post="1106684" timestamp="1391650389"]It's one thing to say it; it's another thing to live it. Would you feel that way if it was YOUR job in this economy?[/quote] Beretta is is a business, not a social welfare provider. I've had to lay off employees before, due to slow business (not that much different). Bottom line was, I had to make a decision based on what was best for business first, not what's best for my staff. If the owner of my company had to move to a more business-friendly state, I'd have to suck it up and do what was best for my family. If that means following my job, so be it. If that means, keeping my roots and finding another job, so be it. The way I see it, I was looking for a job, when I found this one. If the shoe were on the other foot, Beretta wouldn't expect its employees to stay in MD, if they wanted to move to TN.

Beretta is is a business, not a social welfare provider. I've had to lay off employees before, due to slow business (not that much different). Bottom line was, I had to make a decision based on what was best for business first, not what's best for my staff. If the owner of my company had to move to a more business-friendly state, I'd have to suck it up and do what was best for my family. If that means following my job, so be it. If that means, keeping my roots and finding another job, so be it. The way I see it, I was looking for a job, when I found this one. If the shoe were on the other foot, Beretta wouldn't expect its employees to stay in MD, if they wanted to move to TN.

Yes, in your first post I inferred the indifference you have towards the employees' well-being which is so prevalent amongst employers today, and is one of the reasons that we still have unions in power that drive up our costs as consumers. I also think that this attitude of the employers/supervisors is ONE of the reasons that we have the all too frequent workplace violence over the past decade or so.

I'm not speaking of dealing with a situation as TNGuy stated. I also have no doubt that Beretta will do what's in their best interest, and apparently moving their HQ does not do so at this time. When I was an employer I felt that it was my responsibility to take care of the people who did their jobs and who made me money in the process, and not treat them as though they were as disposable as a diaper.

Beretta is is a business, not a social welfare provider. I've had to lay off employees before, due to slow business (not that much different). Bottom line was, I had to make a decision based on what was best for business first, not what's best for my staff. If the owner of my company had to move to a more business-friendly state, I'd have to suck it up and do what was best for my family. If that means following my job, so be it. If that means, keeping my roots and finding another job, so be it. The way I see it, I was looking for a job, when I found this one. If the shoe were on the other foot, Beretta wouldn't expect its employees to stay in MD, if they wanted to move to TN.

Laying off employees due to slow business is as much like moving an entire business to another part of the Country as a motorcycle is like a semi truck. I've been involved in both and the differences are major. When you lay off due to slow business you get to choose who goes or stays. You can get rid of the least productive or least experienced as you wish. Even in union shops it's usually last in (least experienced), first out. When you uproot the whole business you could easily lose some of your core people causing a big reduction in the quality of your product. Even moving manufacturing equipment between facilities causes production delays and unforseen problems for several months. Smart companies won't operate on a knee-jerk reaction, they'll spread things out over a planned time period. This, imho, is how Beretta is handling it. Let them see that TN is the best place for them and they won't stay in MD, they'll make a well planned and orderly exit over the next decade or so.

I never said deciding to move a company is easy or should be a decision to be taken lightly. However, the people with the most skin in the game (the owners) took the most risk and have the most to lose. So, they have to think of themselves and their company by putting the long-term success of their business ahead of all else, even their employees. That doesn't mean they don't care about their employees. Contrary to what some believe, smart businesses actually care a lot about their employees. They know that a happy workforce is a productive one and that you attract the best employees by being a place that the best talent wants to come work for. Short-term sacrifices, like moving to another state may turn out better for the employees that come along may be in their best interest in the long run too.

Laying off employees due to slow business is as much like moving an entire business to another part of the Country as a motorcycle is like a semi truck. I've been involved in both and the differences are major. When you lay off due to slow business [u]you[/u] get to choose who goes or stays. You can get rid of the least productive or least experienced as you wish. Even in union shops it's usually last in (least experienced), first out. When you uproot the whole business you could easily lose some of your core people causing a big reduction in the quality of your product. Even moving manufacturing equipment between facilities causes production delays and unforseen problems for several months. Smart companies won't operate on a knee-jerk reaction, they'll spread things out over a planned time period. This, imho, is how Beretta is handling it. Let them see that TN is the best place for them and they won't stay in MD, they'll make a well planned and orderly exit over the next decade or so.
You try recruiting, training, and holding onto an entire staff of great employees only to be forced to have to tell half of them they no longer have a job and then tell me deciding who gets to stay and go is any easier than moving a business somewhere else.