Flash me!

It has never been against the law in TN, however it is against the law to flash our bright lights at oncoming traffic.

Tell that to the douchecanoe that has his brights on as I hit him back. Good thing about having newish vehicle is that even the halogen lights are pretty fregin bright.

Since i try to drive the speed limit f 5 MPH under it most of the time I have never had that I can remember another driver flash their lights to me. As far as flashing my bright lights at on coming traffic. If I have a driver approaching me and they are driving with their high beams on I will flash mine as a request for them to lower their high beams to enable me to see the highway better. That has been a tactic that has gone on since I first began driving 51 years ago and I didn't know it was against the law in Tennessee to do it................jmho

[quote name="Duck" post="1106475" timestamp="1391619757"]It has never been against the law in TN, however it is against the law to flash our bright lights at oncoming traffic.[/quote] I'll take your word for it, but I was pulled over for accidentally doing it. I was trying to use my windshield washer fluid, and accidentally flashed my lights. It just so happens to happen when an officer was shooting radar nearby. It was in the middle of the afternoon, so no one was going to be blinded by my headlights. The officer pulled me over and threatened to write me a ticket for warning other drivers. Luckily, my windshield was still wet from the washer fluid.
  • Like 1

I warn people depending on the situation.  Is the goal to catch people speeding and take donations, or is the goal to make traffic slow down so its safer for everyone?  The answer to that is usually quite obvious. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 3
Goal is revenue. Only revenue. If safety was the issue, law would mandate governors in every vehicle with all the other nonsense the government already forces manufacturers to put in the vehichles they produce to make them legal in the USA, not to mention much more expensive...
  • Like 2
I always warn oncoming traffic of radar ahead. You never know when someone is accidentally speeding and needs a break. Living in Bluff City the radar capital of TN I am no fan of the radar gun. We also have a speeding camera that is clearly just a revenue generator. As someone mentioned before, are they trying to slow people down or raise money.

I don't flash anyone. There have been a lot of criminals caught during a routine traffic stop.

And a lot of hard working people giving their paychecks into a system that is set up for profiteering, not safety.  If they actually cared about safety, they wouldn't try to hide and pop you coming over a hill or around a corner.

You see my headlights blinking, and rest assured you're headed towards a nice gentleman making sure the new city hall gets built. 

Every time I've been flashed in the past few years is when there are deer on/near the road ahead. I've learned to slow to an absolute crawl when I get flashed at night. Of course, one of these days it'll be a cop hiding and he'll pull me over for obstructing traffic or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I always warn oncoming traffic of radar ahead. You never know when someone is accidentally speeding and needs a break. Living in Bluff City the radar capital of TN I am no fan of the radar gun. We also have a speeding camera that is clearly just a revenue generator. As someone mentioned before, are they trying to slow people down or raise money.

How do you 'accidentally' speed? If you're speeding and don't know it then your mind is not in the here and now where it belongs. In a word, negligence.

There's a sure fire way to get out of every speeding ticket forever. Stop speeding. It's so simple a caveman can do it.

I thought I heard at one time that some gangs have a gang initiative if they flash their lights at you, or you at them, they turn on you and you become a victim of a crime. 

When you hear things like that, always check Snopes.

How do you 'accidentally' speed? If you're speeding and don't know it then your mind is not in the here and now where it belongs. In a word, negligence.

There's a sure fire way to get out of every speeding ticket forever. Stop speeding. It's so simple a caveman can do it.

technically, any unwarranted act could be labeled as negligence; that aside, accidentally speeding is just as easy as forgetting to use capitalization in a sentence.

Edited by Sam1

Yep, definitely should have eyes pinned to the speedometer rather than, y'know, looking at the road & stuff.

Speeding is a funny thing.   I live about 12 miles outside Murfreesboro right off a 4 lane, interstate quality highway.   The speed limit into town from here is 65 mph.   I usually run  about 60.  I pull a tool trailer and I just don't feel that rush.  All those guys who blast past me going fast enough to suck the paint of my truck,  well... I usually pull up behind them at the traffic light in town.    In town driving has about the same effect.    

Speeding is a funny thing.   I live about 12 miles outside Murfreesboro right off a 4 lane, interstate quality highway.   The speed limit into town from here is 65 mph.   I usually run  about 60.  I pull a tool trailer and I just don't feel that rush.  All those guys who blast past me going fast enough to suck the paint of my truck,  well... I usually pull up behind them at the traffic light in town.    In town driving has about the same effect.    

You just remember the times you do. It's a numbers game. Sensor lights make it doubly so.

(That guy at the light, he just triggered the count-down to green. Because he arrived there sooner, you are going to get to go earlier too. Though your scenario assumes that he didn't get to the light in time to prevent the red timer from starting which allows you to draft through behind him).

Edited by tnguy

Yep, definitely should have eyes pinned to the speedometer rather than, y'know, looking at the road & stuff.

It seems pretty easy not to speed after you've had a few years of driving experience, without having to "pin" your eyes to the spedometer.  I haven't been pulled over for speeding since back when I used to intentionally speed.  I used to call tickets a "speed tax".  I got older, married, had kids.  I drive a few miles over the speed limit and rarely look at the spedometer.  I don't have any superpowers.

• Like 1