9mm vs ? Caliber Wars

graycrait

I have pistols of several calibers - an yes, the 40 takes more practice since it has more snap on the recoil, but i do like a round with 10% larger diameter and near same mag capacity. My sig226 has 15 round mags. I do think part of the move to 9mm may also be to be more in alignment with us military calibers - if uncle sugar is giving away free armored cars, who is to say that 9mm military surplus wont be provided soon as well?

Everyone needs to choose their round based on their needs, their beliefs, and their knowledge of the physics and ballistics of the rounds.
“The fading 40” you have got to be kidding me. My first thought was what mental midget wrote that article? But then I saw it was on a website called “The Bangswitch” and I understood. smilielol5.gif

The good news is that there is no competition between the 9mm and the .40S&W. You will never be forced to choose between the two. No matter whether you want a 9 or a 40; they will be there.

Don’t get all butt hurt when someone tells you that their 40 will outperform your nine. There are plenty of people there that use 9mm.

DISCLAIMER: I am not one of them but I see them here daily. biggrin.gif

One of the articles also addresses cost; 9 is cheaper than 40.

.22 is a fraction of the cost if all you want is trigger time.

At the rate the price of ammo is going up, I doubt there will soon be much price difference in the 9/40. Especially with the 40 being a more popular LE round; more production may lower the cost.

Always been taught and tell newer shooters when they ask me which one  :

get the biggest caliber you can control both accuracy and speed wise  because you will never miss fast enough to win and realistically the whole .38,9mm,.40 .45ACP debate goes out the window if you don't know where to hit your target for maximum effect to end the confrontation. (contrary to popular writings the .45 will not rip a mans arm off and spin him around)

and if you reload your ammo cost is almost a non issue, my 10mm costs almost the same as my .40 or .45 and a 9mm if I owned one wouldn't be noticeably cheaper ( I do load .38 Super and it is a touch more expensive due to using Small Rifle Primers )  and I consider carry ammo an investment not a cost.

the energy chart linked shows these calibers for the most part within 150-200 ft. lbs. of each other for .38 9 40 and 45  so the only decider actually is recoil management and capacity in my view.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

I have been known to carry the following though not at the same time,  a .38 Detective Special, a Glock 23, a 1911 in .45ACP, a S&W M-10 and a .22LR  

Depends on where I was going,what I was wearing and who I was with.

Grew tired of the hype by gun rags and caliber fanboys years ago, history shows alot of folks have fallen to each of these calibers so run what you can as fast and accurately as you can the energy in any of these calibers will get it done if you do that.

• Like 2
Guest Brutnus

The guy above me gets it. 

Shot placement is number 1. Time it takes to get gun back on target for a follow up shot is 2. Capacity is 3.

Pick a round you are good with in all 3.

Edited by Brutnus

.22 is a fraction of the cost if all you want is trigger time.

At the rate the price of ammo is going up, I doubt there will soon be much price difference in the 9/40. Especially with the 40 being a more popular LE round; more production may lower the cost.

And I hear .22 LR will be publicly available again by 2025!  I think I would lose a lot of practice time in the meantime. Thanks to the hoarders and gun show gougers, the  .22LR is pretty much a caliber of the past. Airguns are already replacing them in our area.

• Like 1
Those articles mean nothing to me. It's a cycle within a cycle, 9mm to 40 to 45 and then back to 9mm. Witchita Police Department just switched back to 40 after a 5 year stint with 9mms. Can you guess what they will be carrying in 5 years? Have you seen my post that is a sticky at the top of the Handguns section? There are only two agencies with 9mm in the state out of about the 250 agencies we have confirmed. In Georgia I do not know of a single agency exclusively using 9mm, but supposedly GSP is dumping the Glock 37 this spring in favor of Glocks in 9mm or 40. Other surrounding states I believe are about the same, no love for the 9mm. I have even noticed some of Federal Government agencies have dumped 9mm lately, DOD Police, Coast Guard, NCIS, and VA police have all went to 40 in the last few years.

For me this falls into the proverbial "who cares" category.  If you're that hung up on one caliber over the other and can't grasp that someone else may have other, also valid reasons for wanting whatever caliber they want, then no one can help you.  I don't need to debate with people like that.  It just confirms my already diminishing view of most people and I am cranky enough as it is. :up:

• Like 2

I will be willing to properly handle disposal of any 40 or 45 pistols and ammo if you will cover the shipping costs.  Act quickly, as this is a limited time offer.  After my safe is full, I may have to end this offer.

Edited by tnhawk
  • Like 2
I like 'em all amd shoot 9 and 40 most. Smaller guns get the 9s, bigger guns get the 40s. My main pistols are M&Ps. An M&P Pro 40, M&P 40 fullsize, M&P9c, and a Shield 9.

I'm not very recoil shy, but also want my wife to be able to handle all of my guns of she needs to.

I've recently developed a strong desire for the 10MM... i see an EAA Witness in my future. 15rds of 10MM?!?!? Yes, please!

I like 'em all amd shoot 9 and 40 most. Smaller guns get the 9s, bigger guns get the 40s. My main pistols are M&Ps. An M&P Pro 40, M&P 40 fullsize, M&P9c, and a Shield 9.

I've recently developed a strong desire for the 10MM... i see an EAA Witness in my future. 15rds of 10MM?!?!? Yes, please!

What he said.  I've got a Bodyguard .380, G19, XDs 9mm, RIA .45, FNX .40, along with a .357 SIG barrel for it.  Enjoy shooting 'em all.  Been eye-ballin' a G29 SF to add to collection soon.

Need to try out this 45Cal thing y'all keep hollering about. Been a 40 person myself since I started carrying in 2007. Got sold on the "between calibers" thing from the salesman. Bought into it buying my first firearm. I find it easy for follow up shots. Still need to find a range toy in 45 this year.

Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

Meh, for the most part, using modern defense ammo an assailant who is shot with a 9mm is just as shot as one that is shot with a .40 or a .45 - and vice versa all over the place.  If we were limited to ball ammo and expansion weren't a factor then I could see an argument for the 'bigger' .45 bullet being superior but we aren't, it is and I don't.  It isn't like any of them are a .357 magnum :pleased: (sorry, couldn't resist.)

Being that I believe 9mm to be just as potentially effective as .40 or .45 on any, given assailant (which means any of them might stop a threat with one shot or any of them might fail to stop a threat with several shots), I can't bring myself to accept that .45 ammo is worth two or three times the price of 9mm.  With .40, ammo is more expensive than 9mm but not as expensive as .45.  Further, if one were buying their first pistol I could see an argument for .40 in that so many LEAs have gone that direction, meaning ammo might be easier to come by at times.  Beyond that, given that I don't think companies will stop making 9mm any time soon I don't see any reason to abandon the 9mm I already have in favor of a .40.

• Like 3