Ok may need some help with this??

A buddy of mine was cleaning out a closet he has been putting off for sometime and he finally decided to do it today. He called me up and told me he had something to give me and when I got there this is what he gave me. I have no clue what it is so I am hoping some of you guys in this section can help me identify it. Only markings I can find are right on top of gun just in front of Bolt . I am thinking it is Japanese but that is a guess. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/Expendable%20projectiles%20machines/PictureorVideo084_zpsf8652877.jpg.html]PictureorVideo084_zpsf8652877.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/Expendable%20projectiles%20machines/PictureorVideo080_zps1e93988b.jpg.html]PictureorVideo080_zps1e93988b.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/Expendable%20projectiles%20machines/PictureorVideo083_zpsc9302ddc.jpg.html]PictureorVideo083_zpsc9302ddc.jpg[/URL]

Looks like you have a M-44 Mosin -Nagant Carbine or possibly Chinese M-53 Carbine .. Can't see or tell if it has  plenty of cosmoline (preservative grease) in/on it's parts or not .. Caliber is 7.62 x 54R (R means rimmed ) cartridge. There is a lot of information about these carbines online.. You can remove the bolt easily by turning the bolt handle to upright position and withdraw it by pulling  it to the rear by pulling the trigger. Good Luck !

Mosin Nagant 44 Carbine by my estimation

http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/Russian-M44-Carbine.asp

I just went on the web site link here and it showed two of the Russian models and the measurements are correct but it does not have any of the same markings such as the Star or anything like that on it. It appears to have some type or oriental lettering on it instead along with several numbers. It did or does have that later model ear on the bayonet it showed in the picture so I guess I am still not sure what it is?

That thing looks like it been sitting in a closet for a long time.  Any import marks on it?

My buddy said as best he can remember he put it in the closet about 15 years ago and forgot it was even there till he got to cleaning out what he calls his junk room and closet and he knew I was into guns so he called me up and told me to stop by and when I did he gave it to me.  If there are any import marks on it I would not know where to look or what to look for. This thing was made before I was born as best I can figure.

It's cheap to shoot at least. I bought 440 rounds of ammo for mine recently for $89. Congrats on getting a "new" gun!

Thanks for the congrads and  I hope you enjoy shooting yours but I have no intentions of pulling the trigger on this relic or purchasing any ammo for it either. I actually only took it to keep from hurting my buddy's feeling because he really thought he was giving me something special. He was really impressed that it had it's own bayonet!!!

Thanks for the congrads and  I hope you enjoy shooting yours but I have no intentions of pulling the trigger on this relic or purchasing any ammo for it either. I actually only took it to keep from hurting my buddy's feeling because he really thought he was giving me something special. He was really impressed that it had it's own bayonet!!!

And it was a good gift he gave. They're selling about $200 or so right now at most places. Lots of folks buying them and shooting them. However you use it, I hope you enjoy it. There are videos on YouTube explaining how to disassemble and clean if you ever get the urge.
The 53 is a neat rifle. It looks like yours will clean up nicer than you might think. It will always show its age, but a little TLC and it can still be a looker in its own right. :up: Definetly a nice gift, cooler than anything my "friends" have given me. :lol:

PS. Please give it a good cleaning, it looks like its got some corrosion which should be nipped in the bud before it can spread further. Edited by TrickyNicky

The wood on it is in very rough shape as far as scratches go and a few deep chips in the wood also. It does not have the cleaning rod that is suppose to be with it but has the slot where it is suppose to go. The action seem very tight and sound for such an old gun. I do really appreciate my buddy thinking enough of me to give it to me and I have heard many people speak about Mosin's being good guns. It is just something I don't think I would shoot. Has a metal butt plate and my old shoulders don't do well with sudden jolts any more. I hurt my shoulder last summer setting the hook on a large bass and could fish for a week. I did call my buddy and tell him what kind of gun it is because he didn't know either and he is not one that messes to much with them but he did want to see if I could find out what it is.. He has his CCW permit and does carry and does shoot some at the range but not a real gun buff. He said he has heard of them but that is about all.

The stock looks to be in typical condition of many of the T53's.  As for import markings, if it has any they should be on the receiver, if one of the more recent imports, or on the end on the barrel between the bayonet mount and the front sight.  Regarding the bayonet "ears", all the T53's had the double ears, as that modification was adopted by the Russians near the end of WWII production of the original M44 variant, and the T53 was a Chinese copy of the M44 (many of the earlier Chinese carbines were produced by surplus machinery provided by the Russians).  They are widely available, mostly today from nations that were given these rifles at a later date by the Chinese.  It is the least expensive Mosin carbine on the market as most collectors value the original Soviet m38 or m44 more highly, but the T53 does have it's own aficionados among the collecting world and are ofter bought by shooters due to their inexpensive prices and availability of cheap surplus ammo.

The saving grace of the type 53 is that they have chrome- plated bores & will clean up & prove to be about as accurate as any of it's Soviet brethern. Suggest you find a length of pull rubber butt extension pad and/or present this Spartan weapon to a young Relative or whomever you regard as worthy of an audacious (loud) carbine that was designed to be discharged w/bayonet attached and extended for targeting purpose(s)..I can assure you the report will startle everyone nearby..The original military parent rifle had been found to be too long barreled & not especially an  efficient  use of Resources  ( forged steel) for killing opponents less than 50 meters away..A carbine designed by committee (We need Tanks , not soldiers !) was introduced to the Powers that Be @/ during the Great Patriotic War (WWII) to produce an effective short range weapon @ least expense and provide the troops with a soldier-proof  weapon .Hope you find a suitable recipient for the carbine.