Russia invades Crimea ?

Fourtyfive

FTFY

I thought about that.  Maybe, but probably in the next two years, just leased facilities (piers, etc), not total "ownership".....for now. The Cubans will just unlock the gates, turn on the lights, and hand them the keys.

“HELP US”
That’s going to be tough for us and the U.N. to walk away from.

But...it will happen.  It is simply a return to a more stable state of being (the region is wired for submission under despots), and frankly, the UN thrived under the Soviet Era much more than now.  They have not forgotten that.

Remember, that the largest reason the Soviet Empire fell apart was economics.  They could not afford their satellite countries.  They have learned a lot since then.

• Moderators

Say goodbye to cheap Wolf and Tula ammo. The importation of that is going to be cut off as an "economic sanction" against Russia. You know, like Clinton did with the Chinese and their cheap ammo and firearms imports in the 90s.   :wave:

Edited by Chucktshoes

Say goodbye to cheap Wolf and Tula ammo. The importation of that is going to be cut off as an "economic sanction" against Russia. You know, like Clinton did with the Chinese and their cheap ammo and firearms imports in the 90s.   :wave:

Well crap that sucks. I have never bought any of that junk or fired a round through any gun I own. But that will drive up the price of the good stuff when the junk gets shut off.

It appears that ammo is going to be like gas; any reason or no reason at all will result in a price increase.
leaving.gif
  • Like 1

An excellent point.

Who knows.... The tag on Drudge indicated opposite

But the biggest blow to the new Kiev leaders came when Ukrainian Navy Commander Denis Berezovsky announced a day after his appointment that he was switching allegiance to the pro-Russian authorities in Crimea after gunmen surrounded his building and cut off its electricity.

from - http://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-navy-chief-switches-allegiance-crimea-pro-russia-172726132.html;_ylt=AwrBJSDxahNTSBEA4VXQtDMD

It is hard to keep up with (and you might be right)

I think basically, the Crimeans sided with the Russians, and took the Ukrainian Navy with them.

Edited by R_Bert

I worked in Ukraine for 3 years. I fully understand what happens there. Ukrainian rear admiral Denis Berezovsky did not switch sides. He just confirmed his decision to protect Crimean people.

Speaking in general Ukrainians can not elect right leaders. Every single one appears corrupted. Julia Timoshenko abused her power as much as she could. Viktor Yanukovych stole unprecedented money even by Slavic standards. Alex Turchynov  is no any better. His party "Batkivshyna" closely resembles German nazi party as it was in 1933. Vitali Klitscko is the leader of violent gungs.

Ukrainian people are tired of corruption. Many of them are ready to fight for better future. They already have the targer: EuroUnion. They already have their fuhrer: Vitali Klitscko. Alex Turchynov called for reservists. It means In a matter of hours gungsters of Klitscko will have modern weapons.

There will be some blood. I can speculate that the victims already appointed in eastern areas of Ukraine.

I can tell for sure who will win: Germans. Germany needs natural resources of Ukraine and hard working people. Germans will buy it all really cheap after the crisis.

Think about it: Vitali Klitscko is German businessman

I worked in Ukraine for 3 years. I fully understand what happens there. Ukrainian rear admiral Denis Berezovsky did not switch sides. He just confirmed his decision to protect Crimean people.
Speaking in general Ukrainians can not elect right leaders. Every single one appears corrupted. Julia Timoshenko abused her power as much as she could. Viktor Yanukovych stole unprecedented money even by Slavic standards. Alex Turchynov  is no any better. His party "Batkivshyna" closely resembles German nazi party as it was in 1933. Vitali Klitscko is the leader of violent gungs.
Ukrainian people are tired of corruption. Many of them are ready to fight for better future. They already have the targer: EuroUnion. They already have their fuhrer: Vitali Klitscko. Alex Turchynov called for reservists. It means In a matter of hours gungsters of Klitscko will have modern weapons.
There will be some blood. I can speculate that the victims already appointed in eastern areas of Ukraine.
I can tell for sure who will win: Germans. Germany needs natural resources of Ukraine and hard working people. Germans will buy it all really cheap after the crisis.
Think about it: Vitali Klitscko is German businessman

Not doubting your insight. But tie in how the Germans will trump Putin's interest. He has the hardware and resources invested, and likely is not willing to relinquish. Merkel will not intervene.

“HELP US”

Sure, let the UN do what they do. Why can't we stay out if it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Not doubting your insight. But tie in how the Germans will trump Putin's interest. He has the hardware and resources invested, and likely is not willing to relinquish. Merkel will not intervene.

Germany depends on Russia for Oil.   Putin's interest is in keeping them oiled up.

Guest theconstitutionrocks

Fact of the matter is Russia can do whatever it wants as long as it doesn't mess with NATO. We have spent the better part of two decades drawing down from heavy armored legacy forces necessary for a high intensity conflict to light agile ones designed for the LIC.Sure, we will bluster, threaten, and sanction, but at the end of the day Russia knows that we will not risk a war with them and they may push it right up to that point.

“HELP US”

Not hard at all...It sucks but it is not worth getting in a shooting war with Russia. You and I are both old enough to remember the Cold War and the SS-18s, 19s, 25s, and 27s are still there. Armed conflict between two nuclear powers is dangerous and miscalculations can happen.

About 60% of the population of the Crimean oblast identify themselves as ethnic Russian, most will favor this intervention.  Crimea has declared independence from Ukraine before, during the dissolution of the old Soviet Union, and more recently during the constitutional crisis of a few years ago.  Russia has fought many wars over possession and control of this peninsula in the past, they consider it an historical (at least as far back as the last few hundred years) part of Mother Russia.  The only reason that Crimea is part of Ukraine today is that it was transferred from Russia by the Soviet Presidium in 1954 as a "symbolic gesture" to mark the 300th anniversary of Ukraine becoming a part of the Russian empire.  This part of the world is somewhat like the Balkans, many historical enmities and ethnic rivalries that go back for centuries.  There is nothing the current, or any former US official can do to change that.

Edited by No_0ne
  • Like 2

I say we stay out of it all together. Americans are getting real tired of being the earths police force while folks right here at home suffer. All those people over there are never happy and never will be. They are always complaining about something and having riots in the street so some part of that area. Had we kept our nose out of the invasion of Afghanistan back when the Russians invaded it we would not have been forced to go there and very possibly 9/11/2001 may not have happened. Our Presidents have always had a bad habit of sticking their noses in other peoples affairs when they needed to keep their mouths shut and troops home. We experienced a Civil War and I didn't see any other foreign countries coming over here to get involved. I don't think we need to get involved in their civil wars. Let them settle theirs just like we did ours. If Russia wants to invade the Ukraine let them have it.....................jmho

Say what you will about Gee Dubya, but at least he'd have done SOMETHING.
If he were still in charge, our troops would be halfway to New Zealand as we speak.

I also think that W, being a MUCH better president than we have now, might have done things a lot better diplomatically by now. Obama is out of his league.
  • Like 1

I don't now what more anyone could expect out of a community organizer than what we are getting. If you look at the shape Chicago is in I don't think he could have been much of a community Organizer either unless he was organizing the gangs...............jmho

If the west was REALLY serious about dealing with this they could bring Ukraine into NATO (probably not enough time for that now). The obvious downside to that is that NATO would have to act which would not end well for anyone

If the west was REALLY serious about dealing with this they could bring Ukraine into NATO (probably not enough time for that now). The obvious downside to that is that NATO would have to act which would not end well for anyone

That ship has sailed.  Ukraine now has a provisional government until they hold parliamentary (or other legislative) elections. Sorta like Somalia. No one is really permanently in charge - at all.

Edited by R_Bert

Putin is on the move.  In addition to more coastal access to the Black Sea he will now border Poland, Moldova, Slovakia, and Hungary.  All who have some Russian speaking populations.  Mark my words, these nations will be next.