Best 1911 for 1100?

that_guy

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these would you recommend for first handgun(1911 heavy)

• Colt MK IV Series 70
    • Colt O1980XSE
    • Kimber Custom II
    • Springfield GI
    • Beretta 92fs
    • other (please comment)

OP, you mentioned this would be your first handgun, so I'm going to ignore the warning and shoot you straight: a 1911 is probably not the best choice. Not the best choice in general, not the best choice at the $1100.00 price point, and certainly not the best choice as a first handgun.

I love 1911s. I have had several all up and down the price / performance spectrum. I currently have 2, but they are my least frequently fired guns and would be the first 2 guns I'd let go if I had to let some get away from me. Don't take my word for it - read Hilton Yam's article on why he (well-acknowledged 1911 guru) is moving away from the 1911 platform.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=6631

I suggest you try out a Glock 17 or 19 and an M&P FS and compact. Equip one of these with night sights, 2 quality holsters, and a couple of cases of ammo for your $1100.00. And don't forget some training!

Hope you enjoy whatever you end up with and let us all know what you chose.

• Like 1

What has been said regarding 1911's is good advice......however, if you are just wanting a reliable, no-fuss .45 forget the 1911.  Same arguments on why the military went with them vs. the Glock, M&P, or XDs.  Simple, Dependable, and you can buy 2 of  them in your price range.

First of all, if I ever spend over $1000 on any pistol, you all call the guys in the little white coats, cause I done lost my marbles.  There are some good 1911s for around $600 to $700 that will do whatever you want'em to do.  Spend the rest of the money on ammo and a couple of good holsters and a range membership, so you can practice with it!  :)

Springfield Armory Milspec.  Colt MKIV (series 70, which just means pre-firing pin safety).

Buy spare factory mags.

If you can make it up here tomorrow (Sunday), I have 5 in house at the moment and you can help me burn some of this ammo before its' "use-by" date.  4 are Colts, one a Norinco (frame and slide - all the internals are GI).  Afraid my brother ran off with my last Springfield Armory.

Don't laugh at the Norinco - the van crew from Crane built it for me some 20 years ago.  Today a gluck shooter hit a 4"x6" target at 50 yards with his 5th shot.  Not sure how long he's gonna stay with the latex love doll of the pistol world, he seems to like the 1911.

Edited by Mark@Sea
  • Like 1

I would get a Springfield 1911. Just a base model Mil-Spec . If you really want a true 1911 then stay away from the Sig and the S&W since the have the external extractors and are not like the original designed extractors on 1911's . Just my opinion

Don't take my word for it - read Hilton Yam's article on why he (well-acknowledged 1911 guru) is moving away from the 1911 platform.

Oh give me a break. Quite a coincidence that Hilton is now offering custom M&Ps on an unlimited basis. He's done all he can with the 1911 - ridden that horse as far as it will go, and now he needs to fluff up the market for his next money maker. That's the plain truth of that article.

I don't buy into this 1911 is a not a good first handgun nonsense. It's been going bang for 103 years and most problems out of the box, which are rare whether you acknowledge this or not, are normally due to extractor tension - easily fixed without tools and there is tons of info out there about it. The man obviously has some taste, if he wants a 1911 he should get one. If he has an issue, which is not likely, there are plenty of us here to help out.

Yep, the 1911 has been around a long, long time and is obviously obsolete.

Let you in on a little secret - I've got an 1861 army clone that  will kill just as dead, just as quick as they did 150 years ago.

• Like 1
Guest tangojuliet

The best 1911 is the Browning HiPower :) Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

BLASPHEMY !!!!  it is written in the book of browning  that ye should have no pistol before the 1911 and the 1911 was thus born in fire and honor in the fields of france and  it is written that the 1911 will last for at least 150 years AMEN !!!!

OK guys, it has come down to these five options, or you can try to sway me more. Cot Stainless Government ($1000), Colt O1980XSE ($850-$1150), Kimber Custom II ($750), Colt Series 70 ($700-$1000) or a Springfield Armory GI that may or may not be in stock at my local gun store. Let me see what you guys think. (I think you guys can see that I have been swayed towards Colt)

Edited by that_guy

The good thing about firearms, they keep their value...  so if you buy something, and later on you don't like it, you're not going to lose much if you want to resell it....   I still say a Ruger SR1911.  It being your first gun, you're not gonna notice much difference between it and a higher priced one...  And until you want to get into some serious competition shooting, I wouldn't recommend spending all of your money simply on one gun.  Buy lots of ammo and a good holster and PRACTICE!   Guns are so subjective, it's not until you actually try them out until you know what you like and what works best for YOU.  Don't take everyone's online forum opinions as gospel truth.  Finding the perfect gun, the perfect ammo, and the perfect holster is an ongoing process for each and every shooter.   And you might want to hurry up and pick something because you never know when another rush on guns is going to happen.  

OK guys, it has come down to these five options, or you can try to sway me more. Cot Stainless Government ($1000), Colt O1980XSE ($850-$1150), Kimber Custom II ($750), Colt Series 70 ($700-$1000) or a Springfield Armory GI that may or may not be in stock at my local gun store. Let me see what you guys think. (I think you guys can see that I have been swayed towards Colt)

I’d pitch the Colts and wouldn’t want anything but stainless. The GI’s weren’t made by SA; they were imported from Brazil. I don’t think they even offer them anymore do they? On your list that leaves the stainless Kimber’s; can’t go wrong there. If they don’t have a stainless Kimber where you look; I would check out the S&W Stainless SW1911. I also have a Stainless Ruger SR1911; it would be a couple hundred less than a Kimber or S&W and much nicer than the GI model.
I'm with MrBrian, buy a Rock River 1911 for under $450, a couple thousand rounds of .45 and shoot several times a week till the equipment limits you. I expect that to happen around 8-10k rounds.

Spending a grand on a 1911 and putting a couple of boxes through it, is a recipe for a safe queen.

Range membership, spare mags, $40 for a trigger job, cleaning equipment, holster, a couple classes ... go forth and make some noise.

BTDT with a Ruger Security Six. It's not the instrument, it's the music.

Not what you want to hear ... my apologies for that. Carry on ... Edited by Currently
  • Like 1

I also found this great deal on a beretta 92 in my local store. After fondling it for a bit, it seems real nice.

biggrin.gif You haven’t even got the gun bought yet and you are changing the type. See how we all end up with so many guns and why there is no “One gun does everything” ?