False advertising! Pringles Bacon flavored chips

Sam1

Buyer Beware, Pringles Bacon flavored chips taste absolutely nothing like bacon... Do not even try them out of curiosity as it may taint your primal urges to try other bacon flavored foods in the future.

Also that weird taste continues to linger hours later when you burp and just want to forget you ever heard of these things.

• Like 2

This bacon foolishness needs to stop.  If it's not crispy fried strips of pig meat or crumbled pieces of said crispy cooked meat....IT AIN'T BACON.

Finally someone's talking sense. While we're at it can we stop with the bacon covered donuts or chocolate coated bacon, bacon on ice cream, etc.? It's a lot like last summers radio hits, played out.

I do like brown sugar baked bacon and or bacon weaves though. :yum:

Buyer Beware, Pringles Bacon flavored chips taste absolutely nothing like bacon... Do not even try them out of curiosity as it may taint your primal urges to try other bacon flavored foods in the future.

Also that weird taste continues to linger hours later when you burp and just want to forget you ever heard of these things.

What did you expect? They are Pringles! Are they even made from potato's?

Gosh, I just read one of the containers for Pringles and I never knew they were made right here in Jackson, Tennessee USA that they are made from real potatoes and have other good things in them if the can label is not lying.............. :up: :up:

Guest Lester Weevils

The only pringles I ever buy, maybe a few times per year, are the cheese pringles. Maybe some of the other flavor are ok, don't recall liking other flavors.

I do not eat many chips, but if shopping tater chips, look for the list of ingredients which reads-- potato, oil, salt. Corn chips acceptable ingredients-- corn, oil, salt.

For instance reglar fritos are corn, oil, salt, nothing else except possibly the occasional flash fried fragment of insect or rodent. But all the special flavor fritos list long paragraphs of unpronounceable chemicals. Aint worth consuming most of the combined expertise of the chemical industry just to munch on barbeque flavored fritos.

The only notable exception being cheetos. If afflicted with a cheeto jones, will munch em down while carefully ignoring all those chemicals in the ingredients list. :)

Edited by Lester Weevils

Generally, I like potato chips (and potato crisps, as Pringles are called) un-messed with.  I don't like flavored potato chips for the most part.  Flavored corn chips, sure, but not potato chips.  In fact, about the only dip I like with potato chips is ranch dressing.  In my mind, salsa is for tortilla chips and bean dip or French onion dip are for corn chips.  I do like Pringles but I don't think I'd even want to dip them in ranch dressing - just plain, original flavor for me.

When I was a kid -  I mean a little kid - there was a bacon flavored chip of which I can't recall the name.  My mom thinks it was 'Bacos' but that is the name of some of those imitation bacon bits so I don't know if that was what the chips were called.  The chips were made in strips and had 'stripes' on them to mimic bacon.  To my knowledge, these things haven't been made since I was four or so but I still remember liking them and even what they tasted like.  They didn't really taste like bacon but I still liked them.  I have had a few types of barbecue flavored potato chips that (strangely) have almost an after taste that reminds me of them.  The bacon flavored Pringles gave me hope that the flavor might be the same but no dice.  Sort of similar, maybe, but not the same.

You know what variation on bacon is good?  Some of the relatively new 'bacon jerky'.  Man, some of that stuff puts most beef jerky to shame.  I happened to find a brand of that stuff that had something to do with Bass Pro at UGO a couple of months back.  It was $1 a bag.  I only bought a couple of bags because I wasn't so sure about it but figured that if I didn't like it then my dog would eat it and it was cheaper than dog treats.  Yeah, well, the dog loved it but she didn't get much of it.  It is a testament to how much I like that mutt that she got any, at all.  I ended up wishing I had bought every bag they had - and by the time I went back it was all gone.

Another 'bacon related' thing I have found that I like is 'pork belly'.  That is, basically, the cut of the pig that America uses for bacon but uncured.  I had my first Korean style pork belly taco (yeah, it's fusion food but it fuses 'delicious' with 'damn, that tastes good' so I'll take it) at a place called the Yard House in Cincinatti last year.  My mouth is watering, now, just thinking about it.

Central Taps and Flats on Central (yeah, what a shock) in Knoxville has a panini sandwich called the Belly Boy that has (per the description from the menu on their website) pork belly, smoked gouda, field greens, red onion, fresh avocado, and roasted red pepper mayo.  That sandwich is tasty.  Very tasty.

One of these days, I think I will have to try to make something like this:

http://theeatenpath.com/2009/03/23/chicken-fried-bacon-sodolaks-country-inn-snook-tx/

Edited by JAB

When I was a kid -  I mean a little kid - there was a bacon flavored chip of which I can't recall the name.  My mom thinks it was 'Bacos' but that is the name of some of those imitation bacon bits so I don't know if that was what the chips were called.  The chips were made in strips and had 'stripes' on them to mimic bacon.  To my knowledge, these things haven't been made since I was four or so but I still remember liking them and even what they tasted like.  They didn't really taste like bacon but I still liked them.  I have had a few types of barbecue flavored potato chips that (strangely) have almost an after taste that reminds me of them.  The bacon flavored Pringles gave me hope that the flavor might be the same but no dice.  Sort of similar, maybe, but not the same.

"Baken Snaps"?